Hornets

BuffJim

Are in my mom’s downstairs area, where I sleep and work when I’m here. They’re bigger and duller than Yellowjackets. They are on windows trying to get out. Have seen about 10. They’re not too hard to kill, but I wish they’d go away. Haven’t seen a nest. 

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Hornets are not to be messed with.  I'm with petite.  I hired a bug guy to remove a nest from the outside of my house.  They tend to be very aggressive near their nest.

I haven’t figured out where the nest is. Probably outside. I think they’re getting in via cracks and can’t get back out. I think if a large nest was in the house, I’d hear them. 

I've dealt with smaller-than-hornets wasps nests outside where they're a lot thinner than yellowjackets and hit them with a strong water hose, then later sprayed them with insecticide.  I saw one a week ago on my front porch and hope they're not building a nest between the roof rafters and the porch ceiling.

With large hornets in the home, I agree about calling a pro.

• Heart 1

I get those every year in the downstairs windows. Usually they are gone by this time of year. I call them sleepy hornets. They get on the windows and are big and slow. I put a fly swatter over them and crush them. They don’t seem to be the least bit aggressive.

• Heart 1

The nest might be inside the walls of the house. When I was a teenager there was a noticeable area of the wall next to the window about the size of a large dollar coin. My sister said she could hear a noise like munching potato chips inside the wall. I used a knife to cut at the area and a wasp poked its head out. The wasps had removed the drywall from this small area and all that was left was a layer of paint. I cut that away and a few wasps were flying around the room. I covered my head and arms in a large towel and opened both windows. The wasps flew right to the window screens trying to get outside. This gave me an idea. I grabbed a can of Raid and sprayed the wasps on the screen. I sprayed a good blast into the nest and pounded on the wall to make them mad and dashed for the door. I checked five minutes later and the screens were covered with wasps. Hit them with Raid and ran out again. I killed hundreds and never got stung but I wouldn’t do that again. Call an exterminator, they’ll find the nest. 

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

My sister said she could hear a noise like munching potato chips inside the wall. I used a knife to cut at the area and a wasp poked its head out. The wasps had removed the drywall from this small area and all that was left was a layer of paint.

Didn't @Dirtyhip just get a fresh, tasty load of drywall :scratchhead:

• Heart 1

After you get rid of the hornets remember what my exterminator taught me.  Hornets are territorial so they won't be so aggressive as to build a nest near another hornets nest because they know that war would follow.  A couple of grey Japanese lanterns can be hung under the eves to simulate hornets nests and keep the real ones away.  Try to protect the lanterns from rain however as they degrade quickly if they get very wet.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I get those every year in the downstairs windows. Usually they are gone by this time of year. I call them sleepy hornets. They get on the windows and are big and slow. I put a fly swatter over them and crush them. They don’t seem to be the least bit aggressive.

That sounds like what I’m dealing with. 3 of them this morning. Haven’t killed any yet. My brother was here last week and didn’t notice them.