Jump to content

Season is over tonight


Parr8hed
 Share

Recommended Posts



1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Final game of the middle school season tonight.  We play West Washington.  The team will be comprised of mainly her teammates from her last travel ball team.  These are the people that we still camp with and spend a lot of time with.  It's gonna be great to see them all!  

High school season is winding down so all of her teammates from her current travel team will start playing again soon.  

One season over, one heating up!  

Time FLIES when you're having fun (or getting old)!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Anything on g’s calendar?

Nope.  Cross country starts in the fall.  

 

He did get a super cool opportunity.  He is going to be a paid intern at a local REMC.  My buddy is the CEO there.  He offered the position to G.  Hope it opens doors to him, or at least spurs some though on what he wants to do in two years after high school.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

He is going to be a paid intern at a local REMC.

Regional Educational Medical Center?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kzoo said:

Regional Educational Medical Center?

 

Rural Electical Co-op.  Not sure what the M stands for.  They are doing fiber optic cable right now too.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Rural Electical Co-op.  Not sure what the M stands for.  They are doing fiber optic cable right now too.  

 

A lineman.  Cool.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Regional Educational Medical Center?

 

https://www.in.gov/oucc/about-your-rates/remcs-a-brief-overview/#:~:text=If you are a rural,-for-profit electric utility.

 

https://www.myremc.coop/

G is not really sold on college.  He is stupidly smart, but not sure if college is the right route.  He has talked about electrical or plumbing route?  But he has also talked about electrical engineer.  I hope this internship might open up a slot to be a line man if that is what he wants, or at least get his foot in the door there?  Or it may make him realize that he DOES want to go to college?  Who knows, I just hope it helps him out. 

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

https://www.in.gov/oucc/about-your-rates/remcs-a-brief-overview/#:~:text=If you are a rural,-for-profit electric utility.

 

https://www.myremc.coop/

G is not really sold on college.  He is stupidly smart, but not sure if college is the right route.  He has talked about electrical or plumbing route?  But he has also talked about electrical engineer.  I hope this internship might open up a slot to be a line man if that is what he wants, or at least get his foot in the door there?  Or it may make him realize that he DOES want to go to college?  Who knows, I just hope it helps him out. 

After opening up a few trenches in the 95* Indiana sun he might think more about an engineering career.  That sort of experience convinced me I didn't want to be a block layer...

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

After opening up a few trenches in the 95* Indiana sun he might think more about an engineering career.  That sort of experience convinced me I didn't want to be a block layer...

 

Or climbing up a pole with a blown transformer in a thunderstorm.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

https://www.in.gov/oucc/about-your-rates/remcs-a-brief-overview/#:~:text=If you are a rural,-for-profit electric utility.

 

https://www.myremc.coop/

G is not really sold on college.  He is stupidly smart, but not sure if college is the right route.  He has talked about electrical or plumbing route?  But he has also talked about electrical engineer.  I hope this internship might open up a slot to be a line man if that is what he wants, or at least get his foot in the door there?  Or it may make him realize that he DOES want to go to college?  Who knows, I just hope it helps him out. 

Does he remind you of yourself at his age?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

https://www.in.gov/oucc/about-your-rates/remcs-a-brief-overview/#:~:text=If you are a rural,-for-profit electric utility.

 

https://www.myremc.coop/

G is not really sold on college.  He is stupidly smart, but not sure if college is the right route.  He has talked about electrical or plumbing route?  But he has also talked about electrical engineer.  I hope this internship might open up a slot to be a line man if that is what he wants, or at least get his foot in the door there?  Or it may make him realize that he DOES want to go to college?  Who knows, I just hope it helps him out. 

G sounds like my son.  He did enough to keep his eligibility but he really wasn’t into college.  I think he felt, if I had to deal with this BS to keep playing ball I’ll just quit playing ball... He’s super smart too, he just doesn’t do well if he’s not interested in something.

I got him lined up as an entry level loan processor with my firm.  He’s making decent money for a 23 YO and is killing it (I know his boss) but who knows what his future holds.

The one thing I do know is we can’t make them do what they don’t want to do...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

G is not really sold on college.  He is stupidly smart, but not sure if college is the right route.  He has talked about electrical or plumbing route?  But he has also talked about electrical engineer.  I hope this internship might open up a slot to be a line man if that is what he wants, or at least get his foot in the door there?  Or it may make him realize that he DOES want to go to college?  Who knows, I just hope it helps him out. 

Just don't let him sit in the basement and play video games. :D  Either a job or some sort of career training (regular college, internship, technical college, community college, Peace Corps, military, or similar).  He'll find his way!  One of my nieces did the "local community college for a couple years, "transfer in to the state college as a Junior" route and her diploma still reads "University of Virginia" but cost her half the price.  However, her older brother is still in the basement - playing video games, but working & going to community college - and no end is in sight for him deciding on his career.  He did get a new BMW and did get his pilot's license, so maybe he has it more figured out than he lets on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My younger nephew, Adam, turns 13 on June 4.  The older one, Ryan, will be 21 on Dec. 28.

I already miss watching Ryan's sports games - especially football and know I've only got about 5 years of Adam in sports and even less of when he'll be wanting to hang with me when school's out, etc. 

Adam is on a soccer team now but he's big and relatively slow and so a defender.

He also plays rugby and basketball where his size and height works in his favor. I hope he also gets into lacrosse since that's a high school sport and rugby isn't here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My younger nephew, Adam, turns 13 on June 4.  The older one, Ryan, will be 21 on Dec. 28.

I already miss watching Ryan's sports games - especially football and know I've only got about 5 years of Adam in sports and even less of when he'll be wanting to hang with me when school's out, etc. 

Adam is on a soccer team now but he's big and relatively slow and so a defender.

He also plays rugby and basketball where his size and height works in his favor. I hope he also gets into lacrosse since that's a high school sport and rugby isn't here.

Not so much lately but my wife & I would walk the dog near the fields our kids played on just to watch the kids play ball.  Not our kids mind you, just any kids! 

We miss it too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not so much lately but my wife & I would walk the dog near the fields our kids played on just to watch the kids play ball.  Not our kids mind you, just any kids! 

We miss it too.

Riding to and around the beach, I pass a lot of ball fields and the beach volleyball courts.  It is fun to see kids (and adults) of all ages out playing almost every ride.  Usually softball & baseball, soccer, flag football, and the volleyball.  Add in all the kids and adults in the ocean surfing and swimming, and then, of course, the cyclists & joggers, and there is a lot of fun exercising and game playing going on around here.  I liked the smaller girls vs the larger boys playing flag football a few weeks ago,  Funny to see the size difference (would have thought at that age they would be similar sized), but I didn't catch a score to see how they were doing against each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Riding to and around the beach, I pass a lot of ball fields and the beach volleyball courts.  It is fun to see kids (and adults) of all ages out playing almost every ride.  Usually softball & baseball, soccer, flag football, and the volleyball.  Add in all the kids and adults in the ocean surfing and swimming, and then, of course, the cyclists & joggers, and there is a lot of fun exercising and game playing going on around here.  I liked the smaller girls vs the larger boys playing flag football a few weeks ago,  Funny to see the size difference (would have thought at that age they would be similar sized), but I didn't catch a score to see how they were doing against each other.

Softball & baseball are huge in sun belt states and kids do play year round.  The seasons are somewhat out of whack (football in spring?) due to Covid but normally Little league, pony & Babe Ruth leagues are going on & youth softball as well.  HS ball should be in playoffs about now.

You get it now but I always thought it weird pools closed in  the winter in VA.  We surfed year round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Locally, the state high school track meets are this weekend. I miss track meets. We had a group of parents we would hang with by trackside. All our kids were all of our kids! Daughter of one of our friends is #3 ranked pole vaulter in the state in all classes. She's only a sophomore so may have to cheer her on in person next year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...