Texture is all done

Dirtyhip

Don’t your walls have a texture coat?  Ours are not perfectly smooth, they spray this texture coat on it and then paint.

Due to settling our dry wall was showing the seams & nails (yeah they didn’t screw them in...) so our painters sanded down the drywall, refilled and texture coated before painting. 

Edit with photo.  You can see the texture against the molding & door that doesn’t have texture.

95432D62-7BE5-4BC4-9398-9B8E462A2336.thumb.jpeg.5e62d41a31453ab42eecf87e01995194.jpeg

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Like popcorn ceilings, texture will prove to be a pain in the ass in years to come.

No popcorn ceilings are from the devil. Texture hides joints.  We have also had closet walls textured because who wants to finish those.

31 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No popcorn ceilings are from the devil. Texture hides joints.  We have also had closet walls textured because who wants to finish those.

Texture is more difficult to repair, harder to clean and harder to paint.  It is used to cover poor joints and tape work.

38 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Texture is more difficult to repair, harder to clean and harder to paint.  It is used to cover poor joints and tape work.

It’s all I have ever had and with the exception of wall paper have never seen a non textured wall out here?  I think cleaning is more about paint choices.  Home Depot sells cans of texture for touch up, it’s really easy to repair.

Just now, ChrisL said:

It’s all I have ever had and with the exception of wall paper have never seen a non textured wall out here?  I think cleaning is more about paint choices.  Home Depot sells cans of texture for touch up, it’s really easy to repair.

Yea, I have used that stuff to repair the ceiling.  I actually got it to match halfway decent.  

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are painting tomorrow.  Next week the flooring people are set to lay the vinyl tile plank. I think we are about 3 to 4 weeks to move in.

The siding is all done and looks really nice.

I asked the contractor for a quote on replacing my awful back porch deck/steps - including wrought iron rails on each side, which wasn't damaged in the fire but was knocked a little loose when the siding was put up.  I got what I thought was a ridiculous quote of $2200.  I ran it by some others who pointed out a single 8' x 4' sheet of 1/2" plywood is costing $95 now, 2x4's that State Road's was pay $4 are now $12, decking wood is through the roof, etc.  Also included is having the latticework to the right of the deck/steps put on a hinge so I fold my lawnmower's handle and roll my lawnmower and other yard stuff under the porch.

I decided I pass on it and redo it myself or higher someone else to do it when prices are back to normal, but now I've learned the inspector won't pass the house unless that deck/steps are replaced.  So I'm asking the contractor for a materials cost list for what's going up and see if I can get the price reduced substantially.

image.png.903eb4a7f4acb8b802ac23f93955fc98.png

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

It does seem to be a CA thing and not a VA thing (or East  Coast thing).  The FiL's place has texture. Other places we have seen have texture.  Back home? Never seen it.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It does seem to be a CA thing and not a VA thing (or East  Coast thing).  The FiL's place has texture. Other places we have seen have texture.  Back home? Never seen it.

I asked my wife that this morning what she remembered growing up and she said wall paper & Wayne’s cotting, yes.  Texture no. She had never seen wall texture & popcorn ceilings until she came to CA.  

It seems builders on the east coast deal with crappy Sheetrock jobs differently.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I asked the contractor for a quote on replacing my awful back porch deck/steps - including wrought iron rails on each side, which wasn't damaged in the fire but was knocked a little loose when the siding was put up.  I got what I thought was a ridiculous quote of $2200.  I ran it by some others who pointed out a single 8' x 4' sheet of 1/2" plywood is costing $95 now, 2x4's that State Road's was pay $4 are now $12, decking wood is through the roof, etc.  Also included is having the latticework to the right of the deck/steps put on a hinge so I fold my lawnmower's handle and roll my lawnmower and other yard stuff under the porch.

I decided I pass on it and redo it myself or higher someone else to do it when prices are back to normal, but now I've learned the inspector won't pass the house unless that deck/steps are replaced.  So I'm asking the contractor for a materials cost list for what's going up and see if I can get the price reduced substantially.

That's a "we don't want to screw with it" price.  

Price it high enough that they don't accept your bid, and if they do.... they make some jack.

I cannot imagine that would be hard to do.  I know lumber is high but not THAT high.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I ran it by some others who pointed out a single 8' x 4' sheet of 1/2" plywood is costing $95 now, 2x4's that State Road's was pay $4 are now $12,

Check your pricing...

Here that 1/2 inch sheeting is 38 and an 8 ft 2x is 7.    And checking Baltimore stores on-line the pricing is identical.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

but now I've learned the inspector won't pass the house unless that deck/steps are replaced

Perhaps you can find out what the inspector finds objectionable about the stairs.  If it's only certain sections, you could ask if he would consider passing it if you replaced just those pieces .  They do look a little scruffy, but if they're basically sound a coat of paint or stain would help that.

7 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

That's a "we don't want to screw with it" price.  

Wisdom - that's exactly what that quote was.  :nodhead:

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Perhaps you can find out what the inspector finds objectionable about the stairs.  If it's only certain sections, you could ask if he would consider passing it if you replaced just those pieces .  They do look a little scruffy, but if they're basically sound a coat of paint or stain would help that.

Wisdom - that's exactly what that quote was.  :nodhead:

A coat of paint might solve that problem....

On 5/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, MickinMD said:

I see nothing wrong with it all.

happy-to-be-supported-by-your-business-p