Medicare wars

maddmaxx

If you think you can get some examples of Medicare supplements or Medicare advantage programs online to check out at your leisure you'd be wrong.  As soon as you touch some of those requests, the phone calls begin.  Any real information is hidden inside hundreds of come on traps for sales reps working on commission who get kind of pushy trying to sign you up for particular plans.

Fum

• Sad 1

I consulted with the agent for our company policy.  She presented what she thought were the 6 best MC Advantage programs.  We discussed them and we both agreed that the one I selected worked best for WoKzoo and I.  No cost (Gov't Medicare dollars funds it0 and we picked up a low cost adder for extra vision and dental.

She also informed me that it is illegal for a salesperson to call to sell Medicare plans.  They can lose their license and be fined for soliciting Medicare business.  That's why we are flooded with mailings.  Once you respond to them directly they are allowed to follow with a phone solicitation.  She only sells it to her existing clients because there is no money (very little money) in it for her.

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I consulted with the agent for our company policy.  She presented what she thought were the 6 best MC Advantage programs.  We discussed them and we both agreed that the one I selected worked best for WoKzoo and I.  No cost (Gov't Medicare dollars funds it0 and we picked up a low cost adder for extra vision and dental.

She also informed me that it is illegal for a salesperson to call to sell Medicare plans.  They can lose their license and be fined for soliciting Medicare business.  That's why we are flooded with mailings.  Once you respond to them directly they are allowed to follow with a phone solicitation.  She only sells it to her existing clients because there is no money (very little money) in it for her.

I consulted an independent insurance broker when trying to find the best plan for my father, and did exactly what you did.  It was pretty hassle free and the gal was able to answer all my questions.  I didn't know about the very good info you posted in the second paragraph (or at least hadn't heard stated that way) but it makes sense.  Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

(or at least hadn't heard stated that way)

I had quotes for insurance and the monthly cost was $0.  Can't be right - what is that?  She explained the Medicare advantage programs (as opposed to medicare supplemental programs) can recover their premiums from the SSA.  As long as you pay your bill from Social Security, the SSA will forward that $148 (or whatever) to the insurance company.  SO we don't have Part A or B but we are signed up for them.  We don't need part D because the advantage plan covers that (somehow without being classified as a Part D program - I have yet to understand that).

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I had quotes for insurance and the monthly cost was $0.  Can't be right - what is that?  She explained the Medicare advantage programs (as opposed to medicare supplemental programs) can recover their premiums from the SSA.  As long as you pay your bill from Social Security, the SSA will forward that $148 (or whatever) to the insurance company.  SO we don't have Part A or B but we are signed up for them.  We don't need part D because the advantage plan covers that (somehow without being classified as a Part D program - I have yet to understand that).

This issue is hard enough but then when you consider the Medicaid process -- and I have an attorney helping me through that mine field -- it's a lot to take in.  I know my father was on an Medicare advantage program managed through AARP and it was horrible.  Even the people at the recovery center told me that.  He broke his leg and 10 days later they cut him loose and refused payment.  If he were on just straight Medicaire, it would have bought him another 80 days.  As such he was being kicked out of the medical establishment he was in and I had to find him a place to stay over the weekend.  That's when I reached out to the broker.  I got him on the best Medicare plan and I pay about $200 extra a month now.  He had the money to pay for it before but never looked into it and was such a cheapskate that he probably wouldn't have bought the upgrade anyway.  But if he did, it would have paid for itself and then some on his first day under medical care.  That's no joke.  I had to pay a $2500 bill for the 3 days until I found him another place and that other place essentially has depleted him off all his wealth.  If he had the right Medicare plan, he could have stayed in that medical facility and possibly rebounded or at least bought me more time to observe his recovery, learn the ropes, and find him a better place than the shotgun place I had to get him into.  Eventually he never did recover but I would have had more time to explore other options and maybe, just maybe he would have realized the dire situation he was in and would have done something about it.