Apparently "National Bike to Work Day" and

groupw

We are almost at "normal" here. Traffic is compounded by construction of roundabouts on some major arteries. They are redirecting down a residential street I ride to work to avoid the arterial street. Most days it's tolerable because I know it's temporary. Today was just nuts!

1 minute ago, groupw said:

We are almost at "normal" here. Traffic is compounded by construction of roundabouts on some major arteries. They are redirecting down a residential street I ride to work to avoid the arterial street. Most days it's tolerable because I know it's temporary. Today was just nuts!

Argh - construction will throw a wrench into lots of things, and usually, with road work, the flow for bikes with cars is not really planned out.  At least you just cruise by the extra cars laughing at them sitting in their little personal pods.

Had I ridden today, it would have been "behind a school bus day." Bus musta been early, b/c I am usually well ahead of it and I was still on time.

We also have roundabout construction going on. the two-lane "Rounda" portion is in, they paved thru the whole intersection & then ground out the center. Finishing turning lanes, pouring a few curbs and sidewalks, the end of 15 months of work. I think it will vastly improve the traffic flow. The RAB replaces a trip light that really impedes the mainly one-way, rush hour traffic. There's a main light .2 miles away and a merging lane that backs up during the afternoon RH. The merging lane will become a straight lane for 1.5 miles & then become a right turn only lane where a lot of car turn right in the afternoon.

At the top of a graphic is a business park, not much traffic.

At the bottom of the graphic is an elementary school and fair sized neighborhood. The school traffic rally backs up in the AM & now the thru traffic will be able to go around the outside of the RAB.

image.thumb.png.5c2e8ffddd8a2655fa030c64aba5793e.png

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I will not be riding my bike to work today.

"Work" is really all about how you view things.  For instance, you may be putting some new squirrel and bird food out today.  Take a ride before you do that, and you will essentially be riding to work :) 

I got a bike rack big enough to large pannier on it so I could bike to a supermarket when I just need a few things.

It's easy enough from my apartment to a nearby shopping center, but trickier from my house.

Biking to a job would be a problem if it's more than a mile from my house due to a lack of sidewalks or bike lanes or even wide-enough shoulders on higher-speed-limit roads.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...but mowing the lawn is okay?  I guess it is a ride-on?  And if you don't bag it, then there isn't too much effort involved?

I bagged 15 bags out around the pool. I went slow so the bagger wouldn’t jam up. I got my hairs cut.4A92905D-5300-445C-A564-2F55ABCE4B66.jpeg.f278e25df920ce7353c40d21e0f08b6f.jpeg4ADE2918-EBA9-4B5E-9E69-458066AD9394.jpeg.21898180778fad3b5620dfb0c40e0938.jpeg4489470E-5A5B-4512-A45F-975A9CAEE67C.jpeg.8e73c01b9168c338099382fbd3f2b087.jpeg

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, 2Far said:

Had I ridden today, it would have been "behind a school bus day." Bus musta been early, b/c I am usually well ahead of it and I was still on time.

We also have roundabout construction going on. the two-lane "Rounda" portion is in, they paved thru the whole intersection & then ground out the center. Finishing turning lanes, pouring a few curbs and sidewalks, the end of 15 months of work. I think it will vastly improve the traffic flow. The RAB replaces a trip light that really impedes the mainly one-way, rush hour traffic. There's a main light .2 miles away and a merging lane that backs up during the afternoon RH. The merging lane will become a straight lane for 1.5 miles & then become a right turn only lane where a lot of car turn right in the afternoon.

At the top of a graphic is a business park, not much traffic.

At the bottom of the graphic is an elementary school and fair sized neighborhood. The school traffic rally backs up in the AM & now the thru traffic will be able to go around the outside of the RAB.

image.thumb.png.5c2e8ffddd8a2655fa030c64aba5793e.png

The construction closest to me will put a roundabout on a major north/south road with intersection to a school to the west and business corridor to the east. There is a MUP on that street but I shy away because traffic from the school is frightening. 
That N/S road is becoming all roundabouts. The first one opened there a couple years ago. It was so successful they are doing all major intersections. 
They are also adding roundabouts to a major east/ west road that intersects with it and adding a new street on the backside of the business district on undeveloped land. There is an access road though the business district that is too close to the major highway. Traffic get trapped in the lights. The new road should alleviate that and be better for truck traffic. 

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

That N/S road is becoming all roundabouts. The first one opened there a couple years ago. It was so successful they are doing all major intersections. 

Roundabouts and traffic circles are great with folks who actually can adapt to them.  I definitely prefer a well designed circle to the inefficiency of traffic lights, especially where a single car can force a 30+ second stoppage of cross traffic on a busy road.

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Roundabouts and traffic circles are great with folks who actually can adapt to them.  I definitely prefer a well designed circle to the inefficiency of traffic lights, especially where a single car can force a 30+ second stoppage of cross traffic on a busy road.

I thought our roundabout was a great idea. It has made it much safer on a bike and slowed traffic through a dangerous intersection. I think there have been five accidents and one fatality. The speed limit is 15 mph. A drunk lady hit it doing 70, caught some air and rolled. 

1 hour ago, denniS said:

I thought our roundabout was a great idea. It has made it much safer on a bike and slowed traffic through a dangerous intersection. I think there have been five accidents and one fatality. The speed limit is 15 mph. A drunk lady hit it doing 70, caught some air and rolled. 

We had our only fatality the first week it opened. A kid on a sport bike trying to outrun the cops. The officers had broken off pursuit for this very reason but he ignored all the signage and tried to straightline it. His family has put up a small memorial to the idiot there and has been present to protest any new roundabouts. Their only evidence of their danger is his death. Council can only roll their eyes and move on.