Expanding Our Menu A Bit?

Razors Edge

Any or All?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming proper preparation & cooking by locals skilled in doing so, which of these would you readily eat?

• Amur Leopard
    • Black Rhino
    • Bornean Orangutan
    • Cross River Gorilla
    • Eastern Lowland Gorilla
    • Hawksbill Turtle
    • Javan Rhino
    • "Regular" Orangutan
    • Saola
    • Sumatran Elephant
    • Sumatran Orangutan
    • Sumatran Rhino
    • Sunda Tiger
    • Vaquita
    • Western Lowland Gorilla
    • Yangtze Finless Porpoise
    • Dog
    • Cat
    • RABBIT

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would eat all of those, but just the vegan version.

I think we have a good foundation for a new restaurant.  I think NYC, Miami, LA, Chicago, and maybe Dallas are natural locations.  We might need to work fast, but any moran besides SW who won't chow down on an Eastern Lowland Gorilla is really a disappointment.

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

What's the point of this thread?

Expanding your eating horizons.  We've exhausted our "beans in chili" discussion, and bacon needs new places to be used with.  Or, stick with your old boring eating habits.

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

None

I'll add a couple more options.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am pretty sure that having a point can get you banned in here.

Exactly.  I will say, though, that I added a solution to some of your other threads towards the bottom there.  I think there is definitely a market (we see it in other countries), so you may actually be able to create a sort of side hustle that is revenue generating rather than simple volunteerism!

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

People here make icky faces over sushi & fish tacos.  What the hell makes you think they would eat gorilla or turtles? 

I find folks who won't eat sushi and fish tacos to be quite strange.  Other than it tasting bad (it doesn't!) what other reason could they have???? 

Just now, donkpow said:

Rabbit.

On most folks menu already.

Just now, Kzoo said:

Excuse me, and just what is wrong with old and boring?

You start answering questions with things like "rabbit", when we've all been eating rabbits in the US since the start!

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I find folks who won't eat sushi and fish tacos to be quite strange.  Other than it tasting bad (it doesn't!) what other reason could they have???? 

They have narrow minds!  

Discussion with MIL years ago: you will eat a taco right? Yes. You like fish, both broiled and fried right? Yes.  Than why not try a fish taco? It sounds disgusting.  

Truth be told my wife never had sushi before meeting me. At first she wouldn’t eat it & would get tempura or teriyaki while I got sushi.  She then tried some of mine & grew to love it. You Virginians are weird that way...

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

There is an order of things for carnivores, you just can't eat anything. You should eat things that eat vegetation before you start messing around with other things that eat meat. Otherwise, you are just asking for trouble.

So an elephant really works for you too??? Lots of meat and fat to make it tasty, and pretty much about as vegetarian as they come!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So an elephant really works for you too??? Lots of meat and fat to make it tasty, and pretty much about as vegetarian as they come!

Well, it fits the rule. The problem with that one is its rarity. We need to sustain a decent food source. Rabbits are good about that. They eat vegetation and multiply famously.

Just now, donkpow said:

Well, it fits the rule. The problem with that one is its rarity. We need to sustain a decent food source. Rabbits are good about that. They eat vegetation and multiply famously.

And already are on many restaurant menus.  Same as deer.  We're branching out here, Don.  Choosing new and exciting items to eat.  We eat them as long as we can, and if their unwillingness or inability to keep up with demand dooms them, then so be it. We enjoyed it while we had it and that's about the best we can hope for.  We deserve a shot at tastiness and screw the moranic constraints some put on our freedom to eat well.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

And already are on many restaurant menus.  Same as deer.  We're branching out here, Don.  Choosing new and exciting items to eat.  We eat them as long as we can, and if their unwillingness or inability to keep up with demand dooms them, then so be it. We enjoyed it while we had it and that's about the best we can hope for.  We deserve a shot at tastiness and screw the moranic constraints some put on our freedom to eat well.

What's whale meat taste like?

Just now, Kzoo said:

So now it's old, boring, and narrow minded?

Again, asking for @Philander Seabury

"Now"????  I think this has held true for millennia.  In fact, that narrow-mindedness surely killed off a few genetic paths.  Heck, even the Irish eventually figured out the whole menu-diversification thing!

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

What's whale meat taste like?

I'm hoping it makes it to a menu near me soon!  And not just "whale" but a variety of whale as surely there has to be a good bit of variety of taste across the different kinds.  Those were the good olds days (or just Wednesday to the Japanese) when you could sit down at a nice restaurant and choose from a selection of fresh whale dishes.

• Envious 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I particularly think the turtle might be an interesting option, and how cool would it be to say you had gorilla for lunch (in a pretty off-hand, casual way)????

I ate sea turtle while I was in Trinidad. It was the sole thing I would not try again, and I ate armadillo twice. Turtle is just fat with bits of rubbery meat encased in it. No amount of curry can help that. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

I ate sea turtle while I was in Trinidad. It was the sole thing I would not try again, and I ate armadillo twice. Turtle is just fat with bits of rubbery meat encased in it. No amount of curry can help that. 

And that's what I'm getting at - 1) try it, 2) trust your tastebuds (not some irrational "tradition" or the like), and 3) revisit another time if you like it or seek out a different preparation if not quite tasty the first time.

I'm surprised the Trinidadians couldn't make sea turtle taste good.  Maybe they are better as omelets?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And that's what I'm getting at - 1) try it, 2) trust your tastebuds (not some irrational "tradition" or the like), and 3) revisit another time if you like it or seek out a different preparation if not quite tasty the first time.

I'm surprised the Trinidadians couldn't make sea turtle taste good.  Maybe they are better as omelets?

For what it’s worth, I don’t care for freshwater turtle either. Same reasons. 

Just now, Kzoo said:

Hey, I just ask the questions.

Well, realistically, I could see potatoes being a pretty common complement to most of that list.  Potatoes are great as a side or in soups.  Potatoes are a good idea for folks developing new recipes around something like the Orangutan or the Vaquita.

Just now, donkpow said:

Monkeys wash their potatoes before they eat them. You should know that by now.

-tU9CMKs7MhLsuR4kIEyNmtfVY1wsKsKfrcLQX_B

That's actually a neat observation and reveals a pretty big "plus" to eating higher on the food/evolutionary scale: you can have the monkey, gorilla, orangutan, North Dakota farmer, etc.. prepare the rest of the meal before adding them to the pot.  I'd say I'd prefer aging the meat or curing it in some way first, so maybe not optimal, but maybe the prep work can be done a couple days in advance, then the butcher shop, then the cooking?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

That's actually a neat observation and reveals a pretty big "plus" to eating higher on the food/evolutionary scale: you can have the monkey, gorilla, orangutan, North Dakota farmer, etc.. prepare the rest of the meal before adding them to the pot.  I'd say I'd prefer aging the meat or curing it in some way first, so maybe not optimal, but maybe the prep work can be done a couple days in advance, then the butcher shop, then the cooking?

What's your question? I don't think we were talking about tater tots, were we?

Orangs and Gorillas belong to the Great Ape group we Humans and Chimps and Bonobos also belong to and I'd be uncomfortable eating any of them.

In some local languages where they exist, the Orang has a name meaning, "The Old Man of the Woods."

A lot on the list seem like they've been on endangered list.

I like Rabbit.

I don't think making endangered animals cool to eat is cool.

I've eaten a lot of offbeat stuff, woodchuck, possum, rattlesnake, snapping turtle...

Rattlesnake was the only one that was actually good, the cooking may have had a lot to do with it though.

There is a reason cows and chickens are so popular on menus....they taste good.  

• Heart 1

Muskrats not on the list. It was ok when the older woman made it just right.

best from a church. Elliott Island UMC Annual Muskrat Dinner with fried chicken and all the fixings. 12 Noon to 3 PM. $15 donation all you can eat.

• Awesome 1