Have We Jumped The Shark?

Razors Edge

30 minutes ago, denniS said:

I think the Hummer is $100k. The F-150 is $40k. I think I'll stick to my bike for now.

I guess, too, that electric vehicles do not suffer from any altitude issues either.  That may be nice in places up in the Rockies or similar high elevations.

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Or could one use one's E-hummer to recharge one's fleshlight?

I saw a documentary, from the UK, funded by the Parliament, on fleshlights, or flashlights.  Looking at the video it could have been either, or both...  I think the person is white is Winston Churchill, or maybe Margaret Thatcher.

• Awesome 1

Ford's CEO said maybe we jumped the shark:

Ford CEO: Electric vehicle demand will transform industry

A new electric version of Ford’s immensely popular F-150 pickup truck might just be the catalyst that hastens America’s transition from gasoline to battery powered vehicles

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

All my yard equipment is gas powered.  Mower, edger, blower and trimmer all burn gas!  I may buy a gas powered blender and make margaritas.

Till they screwed up the gas, if you took reasonable care of gas powered equipment it would last a long time. My tractor was built in 1972 and didn't need all that much work to revive.

Now that ethanol free gas and stabil are available gas powered equipment is again long lasting.

I don't have an anti-battery bias, but they don't last for decades, especially when they are not used regularly.  

My chainsaw is a cheap Poulan 16", well over 20 years old and starts with a few pulls and a couple prayers.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

One of our sons just bought a plug in Pacifica. 

https://www.chrysler.com/pacifica/hybrid.html?sid=913821&KWNM=pacifica+hybrid&KWID=43700048689813423&TR=1&channel=paidsearch&ds_rl=1273398&ds_rl=1267898&ds_rl=1273017&msclkid=7e73f2deca6414e0f73e92763ae41cd9&gclid=7e73f2deca6414e0f73e92763ae41cd9&gclsrc=3p.ds

Our other son has a Hybrid F150 on order. He really loves the on board power generator.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34716469/2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-by-the-numbers/

Myself, I plan to find a first generation Miata and convert it to electric for my six mile commute. :)

I know that we could easily get into a electric car but I didn't think that I could do it with the truck. I could get away with a battery powered truck 80% of the time but wonder about the other 20%. Most trips in the car are under 100 miles and maybe 3 or 4 times a year 200+

I wonder what the range would be in the new Ford EV pulling the race trailer with the air conditioner on driving from Wisconsin to Georgia. 

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

I could get away with a battery powered truck 80% of the time but wonder about the other 20%. Most trips in the car are under 100 miles and maybe 3 or 4 times a year 200+

That seems more like 90-95% of the time????  It seems the final 5% - extended range/fast recharge - would be a small consideration, but hopefully resolved in the near future as Ford, GM, Tesla, and others keep refining and making strides toward tech that makes them an even easier choice over ICE.

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

One of our sons just bought a plug in Pacifica. 

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

Our other son has a Hybrid F150 on order. He really loves the on board power generator.

Yep, the next generation isn't quite wrapped around the it's gotta be all gas/diesel all the time sort of thing.  That most cars will be hybrids in the next few years, it is hardly even a leap to assume that many of the current hybrid owners will be the full EV folks in their next vehicles.

To some extent, what I see as a similarity to the EV changeover is with folks who stick with an aero TT bike bike as a commuter bike because they ride a (or a few) TTs every year, and a regular bike just wouldn't cut it in a TT or tri race.  Or the fellow who buys a gravel bike for the 100 yards of mixed surface on the 30 mile road loop they regularly do.  There are real disadvantages to an EV if it is chosen as a long haul vehicle, yet almost no disadvantages if it is used as most folks actually use their vehicles - to go to work, to run errands, to take short trips here and there.  It would be nice if there was a "reporting" feature on all vehicles that spit out a report on your weekly/monthly/yearly usage, and you could see how 99+% or 33% or whatever of your actual usage fell well within an EVs capabilities.