For once, I agree with the inbred pig fuckers of the south, I hate the hippie yoga speak

Randomguy

Alabama overturns decades-old ban on yoga in schools

Published
6 hours ago
Pupils doing yoga in VirginiaIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionStudents doing yoga at a Virginia school

Yoga can legally be taught in Alabama public schools, after the southern state overturned a nearly 30-year ban.

The state's department of education had barred yoga in 1993, citing its connection to Hinduism.

The bill, brought for the third time by a Democrat, was approved by the state's Republican legislature and governor.

It limits yoga to stretches and poses, and prohibits non-English descriptions as well as "any aspect of Eastern philosophy and religious training".

Chanting is also not allowed. The use of the sound "om," and the Sanskrit-based word "namaste" are also still banned.

Democratic lawmaker Jeremy Gray, a former football player and certified yoga instructor, introduced the measure. He noted some of the language in the bill was "very offensive", but necessary to appease conservatives.

media captionYoga in schools has 'profound impact' on behaviour

The law, signed by Governor Kay Ivey on Thursday, leaves it up to individual local school boards to decide whether to offer lessons. Parents will also be required to sign a permission slip saying that they acknowledge that yoga is associated with the Hindu religion.

In order for the bill to pass the state's Republican-majority Senate, the chamber introduced language stipulating that "school personnel may not use any techniques that involve hypnosis, the induction of a dissociative mental state, guided imagery, meditation, or any aspect of Eastern philosophy and religious training."

• Heart 1

When I was 12 years-old in 1962, another boy my age, Joe, and I were waterboys for a semipro football team our fathers coached, the Brooklyn (Maryland) Broncos, that traveled to Alabama to play the Huntsville Rockets.

The team was about half-White and half-Black and when we got to the Tennessee/Alabama state line, Alabama state police were waiting for our bus.  They had two large banners reading "Pro Football Team" to run along the sides of the bus: they didn't want anyone mistaking us for freedom riders!

In the hotel where we spent the night before the game, Playboy magazines were on sale for 75 cents and there was a girl cashier about 15 or 16 years-old

Joe and I decided to try to see if she'd let us buy our first-ever Playboy and we managed to put 75 cents together between us.

I nervously grabbed the magazine off the rack, walked up and laid the coins on the counter, too scared to look the cashier in the eye.

She laughed, rang it up, and Joe and I ran back to our room with our first playboy.

Then we played the game.  The Rockets were all White.  I was standing in the doorway of our under-the-stands locker room, pulling the Jersey over the shoulder pads of a Wide Receiver who had played preseason games for the then-AFL NY Jets named Norman Butz.

One of the locals walked up to Norm and said, "You got any N....rs on your team?"

Norm replied, "Yeah, we have a few."

"What, like three or four?"

"A little more than that."

"What, like six or seven?"

"Yeah, something like that," Norm replied, wanting to get rid of the redneck.

When 28 Black players came out of our dugout, the shocked crowd began to curse.  During the game, some beer bottles, etc. were hurled toward our bench.

We lost 21-27, which was probably a good thing - we all got out of Alabama in one piece.

So I have both pleasant and unpleasant memories of Alabama.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

meditation

Never doubt the massive and disgusting ignorance and idiocy of arguing against "meditation".  If that condition in their "rules" alone doesn't show you that some folks just ain't right in the head, then you might not be right in the head :D

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Never doubt the massive and disgusting ignorance and idiocy of arguing against "meditation".  If that condition in their "rules" alone doesn't show you that some folks just ain't right in the head, then you might not be right in the head :D

Yeah, that seems weird, but everything about Alabama is weird and backwards.

Years ago on a cross-country drive, I was passing through Alabama.  I had to use the restroom, so I stopped at a crowded gas station.  There was foul-smelling water in the hallway to the restrooms and was obviously coming from under both the restroom doors.  No way I was even setting foot in the hallway. 

I had my 'ew' face on when deciding this, when a mom and about 6 kids behind me, all barefoot it turns out, just charged right on by me and the mom said in an Alabama accent (I presume, because all the IPFs in the place sounded like that) to hurry up to the two boys while she took the girls into the women's room with her, no mention or concern about the leaking sewage at all. 

Barefoot and ignorant and splashing through urine and feces-tainted water is how I picture all people from Alabama now.  I know that can't possibly be true of all of them, but I can't shake that perception.

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, that seems weird, but everything about Alabama is weird and backwards.

Years ago on a cross-country drive, I was passing through Alabama.  I had to use the restroom, so I stopped at a crowded gas station.  There was foul-smelling water in the hallway to the restrooms and was obviously coming from under both the restroom doors.  No way I was even setting foot in the hallway. 

I had my 'ew' face on when deciding this, when a mom and about 6 kids behind me, all barefoot it turns out, just charged right on by me and the mom said in an Alabama accent (I presume, because all the IPFs in the place sounded like that) to hurry up to the two boys while she took the girls into the women's room with her, no mention or concern about the leaking sewage at all. 

Barefoot and ignorant and splashing through urine and feces-tainted water is how I picture all people from Alabama now.  I know that can't possibly be true of all of them, but I can't shake that perception.

I am still traumatized by this, btw.

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You're raising RO wrong, apparently.

I know, she could be carefree and barefoot all the time.  She does like to be barefoot, which I think is kind of gross because your feet will always be dirty.  It isn't like my floors aren't clean or anything, but still.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:21 PM, Randomguy said:

Yoga can legally be taught in Alabama public schools, after the southern state overturned a nearly 30-year ban.

The state's department of education had barred yoga in 1993, citing its connection to Hinduism.

The bill, brought for the third time by a Democrat, was approved by the state's Republican legislature and governor.

It limits yoga to stretches and poses, and prohibits non-English descriptions as well as "any aspect of Eastern philosophy and religious training".

Chanting is also not allowed. The use of the sound "om," and the Sanskrit-based word "namaste" are also still banned.

Democratic lawmaker Jeremy Gray, a former football player and certified yoga instructor, introduced the measure. He noted some of the language in the bill was "very offensive", but necessary to appease conservatives.

The law, signed by Governor Kay Ivey on Thursday, leaves it up to individual local school boards to decide whether to offer lessons. Parents will also be required to sign a permission slip saying that they acknowledge that yoga is associated with the Hindu religion.

In order for the bill to pass the state's Republican-majority Senate, the chamber introduced language stipulating that "school personnel may not use any techniques that involve hypnosis, the induction of a dissociative mental state, guided imagery, meditation, or any aspect of Eastern philosophy and religious training."

I don't know whether to file this under Alabama's woke culture or their cancel culture.  Darn it, southern snowflakes are hard to figure out.

• 7 months later...

I wasn't  aware of this more "recent" topic. 

So sad about what some folks think without having tried simple yoga stretch or 2. Those surely are uptight folks. :loveshower: Or  they ALREADY were using yoga stretches...some of the physiotherapy recommended stretches for certain problems ARE yoga in origin. Happened to me. :party: Physiotherapist just doesn't breathe the word  yoga to the patient.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So sad about what some folks think without having tried simple yoga stretch or 2.

They think it’s a religious practice. 
My PT had me trying “child’s pose” today to stretch my shoulders. It’s amazing how tight this injured shoulder is. 

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

They think it’s a religious practice. 
My PT had me trying “child’s pose” today to stretch my shoulders. It’s amazing how tight this injured shoulder is. 

The words are sanskrit.  It came from certain cultures and there are aspects of it that one might be uncomfortable with.  Like the vocal ohm.  It is to bring harmony to the universe.  Some might be too strict in their own religion to speak this word or use many of these yoga words.  Some may even just be too rigid to wish to practice anything outside of of western culture.  

I like yoga.  It helps the body.  I know the pose words for the most part.  Sometimes, I have to look up, like "what did she just say to do?"