I know y'all discussed this already, but

Square Wheels

This could be a real game changer.  The F150 had been the best selling truck, forever.  Ford blew it with the fake Mustang.  This thing is amazing.  I would consider one, and I have no need for a truck.

I've listened to a few interviews with Musk where he doesn't care if he gets put out of business, he wanted to start the electric car revolution.  Not sure they'll go out of business, but their Cybertruck will never compete with the Lightning.  

It will power your house for 3 days.  0 - 60 in 4 seconds.  Whisper quiet.  40 - 100k.

• Awesome 1

Electric is snot all that green. And batteries are not magic. My phone one that is a couple years old is now down to “85%” capacity although in practice it has gone from a day or two of heavy use per charge down to barely one. They need to figure out a way to make batteries regenerative. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Electric is snot all that green. And batteries are not magic. My phone one that is a couple years old is now down to “85%” capacity although in practice it has gone from a day or two of heavy use per charge down to barely one. They need to figure out a way to make batteries regenerative. 

I think they need to be able to fast-charge the batteries or create a standard you can swap-out at what needs to be enough electric-vehicle service stations to make it all work.

Toyota says a Prius battery will last between 100,000-150,000 miles or between 8-10 years.  It's 85% efficient when new.  Gasoline engines have around 40% efficiency.  The efficiency of the power plant and the charging of the batteries probably drops it down overall to around 75%, but that's still about twice that of gasoline engines.

Also, the U.S. EPA says that 29% of greenhouse gases produced in America are from transportation.  Some of that will be transferred to power plants as gasoline engines become fewer, but % electricity from solar, wind, and other renewables is growing.

And if we cut down on greenhouse gases from transportation (29%) and electricity production (25%), then the anti-meat people won't have as much to complain about from the less than 10% that comes from livestock and we can keep eating our pork, beef, and chicken.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I know y'all discussed this already, but

How hard was it to just stick this observation in the other thread posted just a few hours earlier?

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I think they need to be able to fast-charge the batteries or create a standard you can swap-out at what needs to be enough electric-vehicle service stations to make it all work.

Toyota says a Prius battery will last between 100,000-150,000 miles or between 8-10 years.  It's 85% efficient when new.  Gasoline engines have around 40% efficiency.  The efficiency of the power plant and the charging of the batteries probably drops it down overall to around 75%, but that's still about twice that of gasoline engines.

Both the options (and more options) are on their way and in plenty of early to late stage trials.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

"Not all that green" means nothing if compared to nothing, but compared to what it IS (regular cars and truck), is more green and growing more green every day as the technology is constantly improves across the whole "birth to death cycle".  Regarding the batteries as they lose capacity over time, that's 1) something that can and will improve, and 2) is captured in some ways by the ability to take the ones that are past their prime and shuffle them down to other purposes that don't require holding an 85+% capacity over time.  Of course, there is also the active and improving tech focused on recycling batteries.

What's also nice is that EVs and hybrids, by their very existence, have driven the rest of the industry to make the non-EV & hybrids MUCH better.  When you walk into a showroom and you see a car capable of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and has an equivalent of 100+ mpg sitting next to a car that goes 0-60 in 5 sec and gets 25mpg, don't you think that influences choices and consumer preferences?  It does. A lot.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

you see a car capable of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and has an equivalent of 100+ mpg sitting next to a car that goes 0-60 in 5 sec and gets 25mpg, don't you think that influences choices and consumer preferences?  It does. A lot.

People want economy.  And they'll pay anything to get it!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

People want economy.  And they'll pay anything to get it!

People are more complicated than you might think, but many are going to be motivated by their wallets.  But folks can also be wrong about what things cost (or cost them), so the market does take a while to sort things out and will always have anomalies and head scratchers.

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

First, charge it often.  Running those packs down to minimum before charging is not good for them.  This is the opposite of what was taught in the pre lithium days when we worried about "memory" if the batteries were short charged.

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This could be a real game changer.  The F150 had been the best selling truck, forever.  Ford blew it with the fake Mustang.  This thing is amazing.  I would consider one, and I have no need for a truck.

I've listened to a few interviews with Musk where he doesn't care if he gets put out of business, he wanted to start the electric car revolution.  Not sure they'll go out of business, but their Cybertruck will never compete with the Lightning.  

It will power your house for 3 days.  0 - 60 in 4 seconds.  Whisper quiet.  40 - 100k.

Awesome.  How far can it go while towing a load at -40 degrees? 

• Heart 1