I try to stay cool, calm, and collected...

MickinMD

...but when you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to think about draining the swamp.

I got word yesterday, May 21, that State Farm's temp. housing subcontractor may have to move me out of my apartment on May 31 and to a hotel for the month of June.

That means I'm spending this weekend packing things including my bike & accessories, winter clothes, electronic stuff I'm not using, etc. into boxes in case I have to store it at my sister's so I won't have to move everything in one day to the hotel and then move it again to the house in a month.

The Apartment management has rented out my apartment to someone beginning in June and are in the process of checking with that person to see if they'll take a different apartment.  Otherwise, they won't rent a different one for a month.

On top of all the other house-based shit going on, I didn't need this, but at least we're close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

...but when you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to think about draining the swamp.

I got word yesterday, May 21, that State Farm's temp. housing subcontractor may have to move me out of my apartment on May 31 and to a hotel for the month of June.

That means I'm spending this weekend packing things including my bike & accessories, winter clothes, electronic stuff I'm not using, etc. into boxes in case I have to store it at my sister's so I won't have to move everything in one day to the hotel and then move it again to the house in a month.

The Apartment management has rented out my apartment to someone beginning in June and are in the process of checking with that person to see if they'll take a different apartment.  Otherwise, they won't rent a different one for a month.

On top of all the other house-based shit going on, I didn't need this, but at least we're close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have you been living rent and mortgage free since the fire, or is there some cost tied to the original place as it is fixed?  If not, have you at least seen a "bonus" as your housing expenses (and maint & repair) drop off dramatically? 

I'd distract myself by planning  a huge vacation.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

There is a moratorium on evictions, stand your ground. Or not.  I don't know.

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you been living rent and mortgage free since the fire, or is there some cost tied to the original place as it is fixed?  If not, have you at least seen a "bonus" as your housing expenses (and maint & repair) drop off dramatically? 

I'd distract myself by planning  a huge vacation.

State Farm has been paying the entire rental bill, over $2000/month, for a "luxury apartment" since March 2020.  They will pay up to 2 years of rental costs at a level roughly equivalent to my level of home living.

Yes, my housing expenses have dropped a lot, with gas & electric dropping from an avg. $200/month to about $65 and, of course, there was nothing at the house wearing out and needing repair.

Out-of-pocket expenses for things not damaged by fire like, old and weak subflooring, termite damage and a larger required water line ran about $20,000, but if I ever sell the house I would need to do that anyway - at a higher cost because the house would have to be torn apart.  Additionally, I has some add-on work done that cost me another $10,000 and the house's worth will be about $60,000 more after the rebuild is complete.

If I have to move to a hotel suite - assuming it includes a kitchen area - it will be furnished by the subcontractor to State Farm.

My Internet/Cable/Phone service is all Verizon Fios, so I'll only have one thing to change.  I'll have to find out if I take my router/cable box/etc. with me or exchange it for something else.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

At least wear pants.  When outdoors.  In public.  

The problem is that I'm technically not the renter, a subcontractor paid by State Farm is.  So I can't even talk about the apartment's lease arrangement with the apartment management - I have to go throught the subcontractor.

The lease was up May 31 and the apartment manager lined up another renter by the time we realized the house wouldn't be ready by then.

I don't think I have a leg to stand on as far as demanding I stay in the apartment for another month, though management is trying to get the new renter to take a different apartment: they'd get another month's worth of rent out of State Farm but they won't prepare a new apartment for me if I'm only going to be there a month.