This oughta be good for a few laughs.

Rattlecan

24 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

This is a movie? Some years ago the History Channel, IIRCR, had a ice road trucker series. It was a "reality" show :D

Very cool that you're an ice road trucker :) 

I'm glad you put reality in quotation marks there. I was actually on the same road at the same time that they filmed season one of that fiasco. The company I was working for is the largest operator up there and they wanted nothing to do with the production.

The operators of the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter road,( that is the official name, not ice road), did not allow Original productions back for season two, so they had to look elsewhere.

• Heart 4

32 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I'm glad you put reality in quotation marks there. I was actually on the same road at the same time that they filmed season one of that fiasco. The company I was working for is the largest operator up there and they wanted nothing to do with the production.

The operators of the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter road,( that is the official name, not ice road), did not allow Original productions back for season two, so they had to look elsewhere.

Have to use quotes, I feel all those shows are scripted BS. Glad to hear your company didn't want to be part of it.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

So how many trucks/drivers do they lose through the ice? Regular road driving we lose a lot of drivers so I would suspect you lose some.

Almost never happens. The road that I was on had lost some guys that were clearing the road over the ice, but tucks falling through during the hauling season is extremely rare.

But I will say, the first time setting the wheels of a loaded truck onto a frozen lake can make one a wee bit apprehensive. Particularly when that frozen surface looks like this.

Ice road 006.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

31 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How would they retrieve something like that?

In this case, they pumped the load off onto a bunch of small trucks by dropping a hose down through  the hatch.  Once it was empty, it was really buoyant, but frozen in place. Some carefully placed dynamite charges freed it, and they were able to hook a tow line to it and pulled tractor and both trailers out and up onto the ice.

Wish I had been there to see it, but I heard it from someone who was.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

• 4 months later...

I watched this movie last night on Netflix and while it was action packed and fun to watch, none of it was believable. 

With the exception that Trappers, the trucking company featured in the film is a real honest to goodness Winnipeg based company and they used the actual decals that adorn the real trucks.

Other than that, no connection to reality.

Trappers.webp

• Heart 2

Just now, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Was there anybody committing cabotage?

I'm not going to bother watching unless there was some scenes with cabotage.

Oh yeah, it was all cabotage all the time. Liam was an American trucker doing point to point in Canada. That just ain't allowed, emergency or not.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Wasn't it?? I liked the part where George Kennedy drove the stuck plane out of the snow. I suppose you're gonna tell me it couldn't happen like that?

They used to allow cigars on deck back then.  Nowadays, we don't know how to sweet talk an airplane like George did.  "Come on baby!"  :) 

• Heart 1