During lst yr. of retirement: planned something different?

shootingstar

to look forward/start off well for retirement?  

Or you were caught by surprise with no planning something differen/special that ignaural year?

Now, that dearie is gone...near future retirement planning looks quite different. Even more complex, are the covid restrictions for much travel.

Kinda of a downer for me....to work abit longer because I can't quite plan retirement yet.  I do like my job but there are some less pleasant stuff evolving at work, to stagger through.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Or you were caught by surprise with no planning something differen/special that ignaural year?

Now, that dearie is gone...near future retirement planning looks quite different. Even more complex, are the covid restrictions for much travel.

Kinda of a downer for me....to work abit longer because I can't quite plan retirement yet.  I do like my job but there are some less pleasant stuff evolving at work, to stagger through.

Trust me, all over the world, people are travelling.  Don't let Canada's lockdown fool you. 

• Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Trust me, all over the world, people are travelling.  Don't let Canada's lockdown fool you. 

yea, they do pass through our international airports too.

Nevertheless, I couldn't this summer or fall, just drop into toronto and visit my different family members. They all work in hospitals, deal with patients / visitors, except for brother who is IT techie and can do stuff from home. Then my mother isn't in super 100% healthy shape at 87.  I would not be welcome to stay in their homes and vice versa I wouldn't feel totally comfortable.  Some people are doubly vaccinated...  I dunno.  It's hard to get over thinking about the danger with even more infectious variants.

My sister just retired earlier this year.  She's looking at places they'd like to travel, but so far the only trips planned are to see her kids.  Right now she's just enjoying being away from the stress  and taking some time to relax and read.   But It must be hard to have ideas of what you want to do with someone special and then have those plans taken away so suddenly. Don't feel obligated to push yourself and take time to be kind and not expect everything to be sorted so quickly.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Have a trip planed to London-Paris in December into January. It is my retirement year but doesn't feel like it. The business felt over after WoScrapr passed. It just took 2 years to settle it. Plus Covid put another year on the travel plans. So it's been a long time coming. Have a trip to the San Juans this Monday-Sunday. I will wave at Vancouver island

• Heart 3

I retired once, almost 10 years ago. I was 52 and had a pension and no plans. We moved to Ohio to be closer to my MIL. Went back to work for affordable health care. Plan on working until March 2026, when I can draw social security. No plans other than ride my bike and live contentedly 

• Awesome 1

When I retired 2 years ago I just wanted to do more racing but I couldn't convince Wo46 to retire at the same time. Now that she retired we are picking up a few more races this summer. 

The plans on our trip to California this year fell through so I'm hoping to be able to make it happen next summer. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Went back to work for affordable health care.

My wife was four years younger than me. She always said “When you retire I’m going to retire.” I had resigned myself to working until I was 70. On my social security I couldn’t afford private insurance for her. When I was old enough to draw full social security my wife changed her mind and said she thought I should retire and she would continue working and pick up insurance through work. She didn’t work very long before the cancer returned and she went on long term disability. This wasn’t how we planned our retirement.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 4

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

This wasn’t how we planned our retirement.

“Life is what happens while we are making other plans”. 

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”

”No plan survives first contact with the enemy”.

”Plans are worthless, but planning is invaluable”

”Philander, stifle yourself”

”ok, sorry  “

:D

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I planned to do a lot of things I didn't have time to do while working.  I still haven't formally studied Creative Writing - if a class isn't completely filled at UMBC, my alma-mater 20 minutes from my house, as an alumnus I'm eligible for free-tuition classes.

Mostly, I wanted to learn classical piano, something I always wanted but my family was too poor to do when I was a kid and I was too busy as a working adult.

I began with a local studio a few years before I retired in 2006.  In 2005 I was accepted into the adult program at the world-class Peabody Institute, where students are required to study college courses in music history, music theory and composition, performance, and improvisation in addition to playing classical pieces exactly as written by the composer - no "easy piano" versions.  This was good for 1 -4 hours/day almost every day for years. In 2006 I auditioned and qualified for my first of 12 ACE recitals there. I can't remember if it was a piece by Bach or Mozart. After I'm back in my house and get a new piano, I'm going to return to the Peabody ACE program next Spring Semester if the pandemic's been tamed:

1958257092_MickatPeabody5-19-06Collageimpr.jpg.1b35f1e8174e3455567076942217778a.jpg

1974905855_Peabody2006MusicianshipAward_clar_900p.jpg.dcfee08ff7b76035e7590f196ae5553e.jpg

• Awesome 2

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

@shootingstar, is it possible this would be a time to move close to your

mum and

spend

time with her?

I certainly would like to visit her and have not seen her since 2019.  She's a tough person to live with...quite directive.  None of my local siblings live with her. They  each visit her, etc. to do stuff. 

• Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have read advice to not make any big changes in your first year of retirement. No big purchases, not big trips, no sales or purchases of homes.... I imagine that’s to allow you to fully figure out your finances once the regular income is gone. 

Well, my priority trips...will be in Canada for family and friends.  We can pretend that the size of CAnada is the equivalent to several European countries (or maybe the whole continental Europe :unsure:...to justify travelling "far".

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I certainly would like to visit her and have not seen her since 2019.  She's a tough person to live with...quite directive.  None of my local siblings live with her. They  each visit her, etc. to do stuff. 

An apartment would work could be your center to visit from but also plan travels and paint. 

On 5/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, shootingstar said:

I have no idea what retirement will look like, but I bet it will definitely be different than what I eventually imagine.  I'd say retire the instant that it no longer is advantageous to stay working, but also to ease into retirement.  I imagine a routine - whether packed full of wild adventures or even just a simple easy schedule - will take some time to sort out.  But I definitely don't think you will ever meet a person on their death bed who wishes they had worked more hours or retired later in life.  Once you have a handle on your limits and wish list, retirement will sort itself out.

• Heart 1

On 5/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, shootingstar said:

yea, they do pass through our international airports too.

Nevertheless, I couldn't this summer or fall, just drop into toronto and visit my different family members. They all work in hospitals, deal with patients / visitors, except for brother who is IT techie and can do stuff from home. Then my mother isn't in super 100% healthy shape at 87.  I would not be welcome to stay in their homes and vice versa I wouldn't feel totally comfortable.  Some people are doubly vaccinated...  I dunno.  It's hard to get over thinking about the danger with even more infectious variants.

I think that's admirable but what you are missing is the "I am more important" or "My needs first" perspective that would help you get out and enjoy the world - warts and all.  While you are busy worrying about you mother or maybe spreading variants or whatever, many folks have happily adopted a different attitude that works for them.  YOU only live once, why really worry what happens to other folks along the way?