Furniture shopping done!

ChrisL

Now that the house is done we have been looking at replacing our living room & bedroom furniture.   We have been shopping for a couple of weeks and found stuff we liked and pulled the trigger. Some thoughts:

Why do furniture people always try to get you to buy a mattress?  At one store we were just looking at living room & they kept trying to get us into the mattress showroom...

OMG the furniture people are   like used car salesman.  Hard sell tactics and when you tell them you aren’t doing anything today they disappear. 

We had one beotch sales lady who kept telling my wife she was a designer & how she should design the bedroom.  “Well I’m a designer and the color of your furniture is less important than the color of your bedding”. Yeah but I don’t like that color... Well as a designer I can tell you a good rug will tie in the colors, furniture color really isn’t that important.  My wife literally walked away and left the store.

I wasn’t sure where she was going so was still standing there with the sales beotch  when she called me, uh I’m leaving.  Sorry lady, you pissed off my wife were done here...

Very few places will take away your old stuff, just deliver.  It’s a Covid thing as they can’t donate furniture.

We ended up buying a tempur pedic mattress but in the process got a free bed and ottoman. We spent $4K to save  $1,500 so the net price with mattress, bed & ottoman was worth it. That was a 45 minute haggle job tho.  My wife hasn’t been thrilled with our mattress (I like it tho) but we both liked the tempur pedic mattress so all good.   

Bedroom furniture & mattress come Friday, no clue when living room set arrives. Could be 2-3 months.  These guys also take away old stuff so bonus!

We are officially broke now! 😁Not really but dayum we spent a lot of money on the house the past few months...

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I don't like my pillows. Can I try yours? 

Yeah man, when the new bed comes you can try that too!  

We got some memory foam pillows a couple of years ago and we love them. They have a notch in them so your shoulder is on the mattress but your head is supported by the pillow.  Muy bueno! 

Mrs. TK and I went shopping for a hutch for the dining room.  We found one we liked and asked the salesman if they had it in stock.  He said they did, but they only had one.

Having been through this before, I asked him if the one he had in stock was the display model on the floor.  He said no, that the inventory didn't include the floor models only warehouse furniture.  So we said ok and arranged delivery.

Delivery day came and the delivery guys bought in the bottom part of the hutch.  The top and front are scratched and gouged, and one leg has a chunk missing.  I told the delivery guys not to bother with the top, because they were taking the whole thing back to the store. 

The driver went back outside to his truck and started dropping F-bombs in a rather loud voice.  I went outside and asked if there was something he was upset about.  He'd figured I wouldn't hear him and he got quiet in a hurry.

We called the store, got the salesman, and told him we were sending the hutch back because the bottom half was damaged and it was the display model he'd promised he wouldn't send us.  He said it wasn't not the display model, and that it came from the warehouse.  I asked him "Well, if it's not the display model then why does it have the showroom floor tag hanging on the front of it?"

(Crickets)

In the end, they told us to keep what we had and they promised us a new base, but it would take a few weeks to get it because they had none in the warehouse and they had to order it.  Ok, fine.  But on the delivery form I wrote in excruciating engineering detail all the damage and where it was, the time and date and who we'd talked to that promised us a new base, that we were going to get the damaged base replaced, and when we'd been promised it would be delivered - for free. There wasn't much white space left on the page when I finished.  I could tell the delivery guys were fuming because they had a schedule to keep and I spent some time writing it all up.  I made sure they signed on the spot where they were supposed to sign too so the store couldn't argue later.

We eventually did get the new base, and the delivery guys they sent were a lot nicer than the last ones.  We figured the store made enough money off of us that time around to last them a while.  That was about 5 years ago, and we think we'll go back to that store in another 60 or 70 years.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I had a really good furniture shopping experience. I went to a local store that everyone told was really expensive. They sell new and used furniture. I looked around, sat on some couches and chairs. I took a bunch of pictures and sent them to my GF. The sales people were totally hands off. Maybe I looked like someone who wasn't going to buy anything.

I went back a week later with my GF, we picked out a couch and chair. The woman helping us said she had the same couch in a different color and she could order that if I wanted. I bought the one on the floor and arranged delivery. I took the chair home and they brought the couch a day later.  My GF knew the delivery guy. I helped him unload it and we carried it up together. 

I paid $200 for the chair(used) and $1000 for the couch(new). I bought a rug, a foot rest, and my GF gave me some pillows to add some color. One of these days, I'll hang pictures on the wall.  

0910192007.jpg

• Heart 4

3 hours ago, denniS said:

I had a really good furniture shopping experience. I went to a local store that everyone told was really expensive. They sell new and used furniture. I looked around, sat on some couches and chairs. I took a bunch of pictures and sent them to my GF. The sales people were totally hands off. Maybe I looked like someone who wasn't going to buy anything.

I went back a week later with my GF, we picked out a couch and chair. The woman helping us said she had the same couch in a different color and she could order that if I wanted. I bought the one on the floor and arranged delivery. I took the chair home and they brought the couch a day later.  My GF knew the delivery guy. I helped him unload it and we carried it up together. 

I paid $200 for the chair(used) and $1000 for the couch(new). I bought a rug, a foot rest, and my GF gave me some pillows to add some color. One of these days, I'll hang pictures on the wall.  

0910192007.jpg

Yeah the place we went to was better than most but they did push the mattresses.  We knew what we were getting into with this furniture place.  Some of the others, oi vey!  

Kudos to Living Spaces tho,  they were the most hands off but they didn’t have anything we liked.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah the place we went to was better than most but they did push the mattresses.  We knew what we were getting into with this furniture place.  Some of the others, oi vey!  

Kudos to Living Spaces tho,  they were the most hands off but they didn’t have anything we liked.

I think the real problem is you and your wife look respectable. 

I showed up in an 18 yr Honda that was pretty junky looking. My personal style is hobo chic. I think they ignore me because I look like I can't afford anything in the store.

When I picked out my furniture and handed over a credit card, the employee was like holy shit, he has a job. Or at least a stolen credit card.

• Haha 3

My wife liked buying furniture. Unless it is broken I would stick with the original furniture forever. She has bought at least half a dozen recliners. She liked buying those sofas with the recliners in both ends but she never sat on the sofas. She always sat on her recliner. I would sit on the sofa or one of the recliners she decided she didn’t like. She liked heavy furniture. I’ll probably never move our furniture around again.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, denniS said:

I showed up in an 18 yr Honda that was pretty junky looking. My personal style is hobo chic. I think they ignore me because I look like I can't afford anything in the store.

When I picked out my furniture and handed over a credit card, the employee was like holy shit, he has a job. Or at least a stolen credit card.

If I had been planning on buying anything a good time to shop would have been before I got my hair cut. I truly looked like a homeless person. When I was home I showered every day and didn’t quite look homeless but in the hospital I had tubes and wires running everywhere and a fall risk bracelet so I didn’t get out of bed for four days. When I finally did get out of bed and saw myself in the mirror I decided the hair had to go.

• Heart 3

48 minutes ago, denniS said:

There is a high end fly fishing store near me that I refuse to go to anymore.  As a younger guy when I went in there in shorts & a t shirt I couldn’t get help if I tried.  But if I stopped by during work hours in my work clothes & a tie I had 2 salesman elbowing each other to get to me first.  I need some tippet. Yessir, have you seen our new Sage fly rods. No I’m good, just tippet. Oh you are more of a T&T man.. 

Jeeze get me outta here...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

There is a high end fly fishing store near me that I refuse to go to anymore.  As a younger guy when I went in there in shorts & a t shirt I couldn’t get help if I tried.  But if I stopped by during work hours in my work clothes & a tie I had 2 salesman elbowing each other to get to me first.  I need some tippet. Yessir, have you seen our new Sage fly rods. No I’m good, just tippet. Oh you are more of a T&T man.. 

Jeeze get me outta here...

I wonder what the commission on $5 worth of tippet is?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

I wonder what the commission on $5 worth of tippet is?

Right?!?!

There is a shop I go to often.  Sometimes I just buy stuff to help the guy out.  He’s a retired aerospace engineer & opened the shop for love of fly fishing.  He’ll bend your ear for hours so I gotta go there when I have an hour or three to kill but he’s a nice guy.  His wife is retired and she’ll offer you a cup of coffee like they are home. 

They don’t have the selection of the other place but they are a really sweet couple.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

If I had been planning on buying anything a good time to shop would have been before I got my hair cut. I truly looked like a homeless person. When I was home I showered every day and didn’t quite look homeless but in the hospital I had tubes and wires running everywhere and a fall risk bracelet so I didn’t get out of bed for four days. When I finally did get out of bed and saw myself in the mirror I decided the hair had to go.

Pictures of the hair cut?

20 minutes ago, Further said:

I don’t think I have spent 5 grand total on furniture in my life time Hand me down,  yard sale or home made seems to be how I roll...

My wife didn’t spend much on furniture when I was the only income in the family but once she started working to pay for the kids schooling she more than made up for it.

47 minutes ago, Further said:

I don’t think I have spent 5 grand total on furniture in my life time Hand me down,  yard sale or home made seems to be how I roll...

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife didn’t spend much on furniture when I was the only income in the family but once she started working to pay for the kids schooling she more than made up for it.

We will spend for quality. The bedroom set we are replacing is about 25 years old and still in great shape.  My wife just got sick of it...  The couch didn’t last as long as I would’ve hoped but a diving 200 lbs 20 something did in a section of it and we just let the dog have that section.  We could spend some time to clean it up but as it’s broken it’s time to go.

This is the 4th living room furniture set in 30+ years my wife & I have been together.

The end tables, hutch & dining room came from my wife’s Grandmother and it’s been in use since the early 1950’s. We took custody of it when she passed about 20 years ago and  our kids will have to figure out what to do with it as we intend to keep it.

• Heart 2