Car values

dinneR

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nah, a housing downturn like we have had in the past, can reset things for a period.  Affordable housing is NEVER going to be ahead of the game.  Too many different things need to fall into place for that to happen in the places that most need it.  At best, you get a small portion of affordable stock built into newer developments, but that's never going to be enough.  It still comes back to supply and demand affecting the prices, and likewise, with housing or car, profit margins.  Why build a lot of little homes with small margins when you can build a few larger homes with far greater margins? Same with loaded SUVs vs stock econo-cars. 

That cannot happen here. 97% of the land in the county is owned by the Federal Gov't.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Wow.  I bought my truck in 2014 for $44K.  Trade in value is $38K.  The 2019 Audi is worth more than I paid. 

I think @denniS - prudently - bought used, so the major depreciation hit occurred for the original buyer, not him.  How about you? Both new or previously owned.  That would have a decidedly different impact, but also, even with new, just a year ago, MSRP was maybe 20% higher than "actual" cost for some vehicles :frantics: so if that bit has disappeared, then all of a sudden the used value jump to where that "actual" was, and the MSRP becomes the new actual.  IOW, folks buying new today (and used today) will both likely see MASSIVE depreciation once the pipeline is back to full capacity.

If you can, sell NOW - cars, homes, bikes - and sit that $$$$ on the sidelines. Wait six months (maybe more for real estate), and jump back in with the gains you made selling high helping you into something better and/or giving you some extra savings for a rainy day.