Jump to content

Rsharr


jsharr
 Share

Recommended Posts



2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Ryan and half a dozen other scouts from the Troop are going on a week long canoe trek on the US Canada border in a month  

Just a week? I thought he would be gone for a year when I saw Digi and his plane and the dog sleds.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

What dates? There could be snow...

They leave June 28th and arrive back in Dallas on July 10.   Doing roughly 100 miles in 10 days I think.  They did 11.5 today.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Should be good..make sure he has lots of bug spray/ with deet.

Yep.  We know the value of DEET!!!!! We send a crew to Northern Tier every year and have sent OKPIK (winter camp, dog sleds, igloos and such) for the last two winters.

We are camping on a ranch in the Texas hill country this coming weekend and will bring lots and lots of DEET there as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Slap that kid in the stern and get him to put his pfd on!!  :frantics:

Nominated.

Fact - most drowning victims are good swimmers.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Who is the insane-looking person in front?

That is Dr. Kilgard.  Eagle Scout, HUGE Brainiac that does research on neural plasticity at University of Texas at Dallas, but an incredible leader with the youth.  I love him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Slap that kid in the stern and get him to put his pfd on!!  :frantics:

I need to talk to Ryan and Dr. Kilgard about that.  However, on small flat bodies  of water, if the Scout is a strong swimmer, a PDF is not required.  He still should have had one on though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I need to talk to Ryan and Dr. Kilgard about that.  However, on small flat bodies  of water, if the Scout is a strong swimmer, a PDF is not required.  He still should have had one on though.

And where are their masks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I need to talk to Ryan and Dr. Kilgard about that.  However, on small flat bodies  of water, if the Scout is a strong swimmer, a PDF is not required.  He still should have had one on though.

Okay... I am going to give you some stats. 

I personally have been involved in hundreds of 'small flat water' drownings

In 100% of the cases, no one planned on ending up in the water

100% of the people involved felt if they did end up in the water, they were a good enough swimmer to get themselves to safety....

So 100% of them decided to NOT wear a pfd

100% of them were wrong.  

I honestly expected better of the BCOA.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jsharr said:

Ryan and half a dozen other scouts from the Troop are going on a week long canoe trek on the US Canada border in a month  

Who supplies the ice breaker?  Texas paddling in warm water vs CAnadian frozen water is a heckuva difference!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Okay... I am going to give you some stats. 

I personally have been involved in hundreds of 'small flat water' drownings

In 100% of the cases, no one planned on ending up in the water

100% of the people involved felt if they did end up in the water, they were a good enough swimmer to get themselves to safety....

So 100% of them decided to NOT wear a pfd

100% of them were wrong.  

I honestly expected better of the BCOA.

I will make it a point to discuss this with all involved.  Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Not trying to be a prick...., it is just the world I live in.

I understand completely.  Doing what you do, you would be a prick if you did not slap us upside the head for being dumbasses.  Thank you.  And I mean that.  Thank you.   When I had the troop canoes out recently, everyone wore a PFD, including me and my son.  Not sure what happened this time, but it will be addressed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Not trying to be a prick...., it is just the world I live in.

Conversation was had.  Mike was very receptive.  Told me it will not happen again.  My son was sitting on it.  I tried to repeat your facts to him verbatim, but the point was made and taken very well.  Than you again for speaking up.

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Conversation was had.  Mike was very receptive.  Told me it will not happen again.  My son was sitting on it.  I tried to repeat your facts to him verbatim, but the point was made and taken very well.  Than you again for speaking up.

Thank you for doing this

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Slap that kid in the stern and get him to put his pfd on!!  :frantics:

Zephyr, here is what went out to the entire Trek crew after I shared your statisitcs with the adult crew leader.

Obedience is the least popular and perhaps most important point in the Scout Law.

Rules have been established to ensure our personal safety and the safety of those around us. Whether we are talking about seat belts, masks, or personal floatation devices, we follow the rules.

I apologize and ask your forgiveness for not insisting that life jackets were worn by our crew members 100% of the time while we were on the water this Sunday. It will not happen again.

We did a fantastic job conditioning our bodies this weekend. Before we venture deep into the wilderness, we must prepare our minds as well. Our brains will be our most important piece of safety equipment.

On June 5th, we will practice the skills needed to recover a swamped canoe near shore and in open water. We will learn that swimming in hiking boots is not like swimming barefoot in a pool, but it is perfectly possible so long as we are wearing our PFDs.

Together we can accomplish great things! We can enter the most remote corners of our great country and return safely to tell the tales of our adventure and help others appreciate why we value wild places.

To be prepared for our last training mission, every member of our crew should read the following:
https://www.rivergator.org/paddlers-guide/safety/canoe-self-rescue.cfm
There are many excellent YouTube videos as well but nothing beats reading the steps one by one before attempting a new skill.

Yours in Scouting,

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2021 at 11:17 PM, Zephyr said:

Thank you for doing this

Ryan and I were out restocking the troop trailer for this weekends campout and we had a long talk about this.   Told him the same thing.  100% of the bodies you recovered were not wearing PFDs.  He agreed it was a bad choice but that he was comfortable sitting on it.   We discussed alternatives, like a throwable cushion with a life line attached.  He is taught, and knows, that in water rescue you reach or throw first and your last resort is getting in the water with the person in the water that is being rescued.   Hopefully the talk sticks.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

 like a throwable cushion

He may want to be careful what he chooses to sit on.  Any type of cushion or padding will funnel any splashes or drips towards his backside and with very little water actually getting to him it will feel like he is sitting in a wet diaper all day.  Trust me, I learned this the hard way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

He may want to be careful what he chooses to sit on.  Any type of cushion or padding will funnel any splashes or drips towards his backside and with very little water actually getting to him it will feel like he is sitting in a wet diaper all day.  Trust me, I learned this the hard way

Back in the day, when I raced small sail boats, I had padded shorts that would make sitting on the rail of a boat more bearable.  Really thick fabric on the seat of the pants with pockets to hold closed cell phone pads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Back in the day, when I raced small sail boats, I had padded shorts that would make sitting on the rail of a boat more bearable

I just have a fat ass....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

I just have a fat ass....

Funny story, not about a fat ass, but my wife and I just got married and we were both racing a lot.  She was crewing on variety of boats and kept sitting down on deck hardware, winches, etc.

She went to see her lady doctor, who saw her bruised up back side and asked if everything was okay at home, new husband, etc........
 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...