I bought fake "milk"

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Neural plasticity stymied again :(  Damn, it is hard to get old dogs to think differently.  I wonder, in the 31 millions seconds of a year, how many you devote to conversations with one of those he/she/them vs how many you devote to beotching about using he/she/them.  Hopefully your experience far outweighs your judginess :)

WRONG!  I love playing with words, and invent new ones all the time.  Changing the very building blocks of language for everyone to suit very few folks in very rare situations shows a lack of common sense and is outside the realm of simple modification.  It is building a new house skyscraper country rather than moving furniture around in one room.  This is someone entitled feminist studies major from Madison with no language training moving to China and expecting everyone to speak perfect English to them, all the time, and expecting the Chinese to understand them clearly all the time, and getting all kinds of pissed when they don't.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  I love playing with words, and invent new ones all the time.  Changing the very building blocks of language for everyone to suit very few folks in very rare situations shows a lack of common sense and is outside the realm of simple modification.  It is building a new house rather than moving furniture around.  This is someone entitled feminist studies major from Madison with no language training moving to China and expecting everyone to speak perfect English to them, all the time, and expecting the Chinese to understand them clearly all the time, and getting all kinds of pissed when they don't.

IOW, you've spent more time contemplating your outrage than you have spent in discussion with a "them"?  Have you spent any time speaking with someone who identifies themselves that way? 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

IOW, you've spent more time contemplating your outrage than you have spent in discussion with a "them"?  Have you spent any time speaking with someone who identifies themselves that way? 

It isn't outrage as much as just common sense and decency to the masses.  You don't expect the world to come to you, you come to the world.  People do easy sensible things, not stupid nonsensible things just to appease the few.   Most people are happy to make reasonable accomodations, not change to grating and stupid wholesale change to language and math at the same time.  People who don't fit a she or a he pronoun have a name, and I would happily use that.  That person (singular) is not multiple people, so using 'they' or 'them' is simply dumber than fuck, and so are the people expecting others to use that to describe one person rather than a group.  

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It isn't outrage as much as just common sense and decency to the masses.  You don't expect the world to come to you, you come to the world.  People do easy sensible things, not stupid nonsensible things just to appease the few.   Most people are happy to make reasonable accomodations, not change to grating and stupid wholesale change to language and math at the same time.  People who don't fit a she or a he pronoun have a name, and I would happily use that.  That person (singular) is not multiple people, so using 'they' or 'them' is simply dumber than fuck, and so are the people expecting others to use that to describe one person rather than a group.  

Was this thought process derived from spending time with such a person(s), or just preemptively working through it so you are prepared ahead of time?  I DO think most if not all folks are happy for you to address them with their actual name - as in "Pat suggested we go by the bar before the show" or "Chris thinks it makes sense to add the cost of the donuts to the invoice", so I'm not sure why your strategy wouldn't work - with no skin off your back - in your interactions with them.

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

No love for Almond milk?  It’s not loaded with Estrogen. 

I looked at it, and there were several gums that gum me up and give me all-night reflux in it.  No thanks, I will get my moobs from tofu, like our grandfathers did!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

To what do you attribute that?

Well, to be fair my numbers were pretty good to start with.  I would assume the improvement i saw on my recent blood work had to do with fewer animal products in my diet, but who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

RG is a monster if he thinks that skim is any good at all.

I remember when my mom switched us from whole milk to 2% milk, my brother and I complained and complained that it was like drinking water.  We were terrible.  I forget how I made the switch to skim, but I do think it tastes best.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I remember when my mom switched us from whole milk to 2% milk, my brother and I complained and complained that it was like drinking water.  We were terrible.  I forget how I made the switch to skim, but I do think it tastes best.

Yup. Monster!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, we all had that transition as kids (was there really a whole, 2%, 1%, and skim option back in the 60s/70s???).  I am stuck at 2% as it really is a nice compromise.  Personally, I like the extra fat in my diet, but I think whole is a little to "thick" while 1% and skim are too thin, so 2% fits nicely in there.  Back in the day, though, I would pound the heck out of whole milk. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So how do you guys make it if you make it without the crap gums and thickeners?  Dennis said it is a five minute job, and that seems better than buying it to me.

I put one cup of oats in a container and soak them overnight in the fridge.  In the am, drain the oats and press them with a cloth bag (pain in the ass) or press them through an auger style juicer.  I don't know if a spinning style juicer will work for this.  I use my Omega juicer.   Then take that oat "juice"  and add water to it.  The pressing goes in a one quart jar and fill the rest with plain water. You can add a pinch of salt to it for preserving, and tsp of maple syrup if you wish.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

So how do you guys make it if you make it without the crap gums and thickeners?  Dennis said it is a five minute job, and that seems better than buying it to me.

1 cup of oats, 4 cups of water, 1 tbs of maple syrup, 1 tsp of vanilla in the blender. Blend for one minute and strain. You are finished. 

You can adjust it with more oats to make it thicker or skip the syrup or vanilla if you don't want them. I eat the leftover oats after straining.