Are you the betting type?

KrAzY

So an email from corporate came out about an hour ago.. basically what they are saying is:

If you have had your shots, as of June 1st you do not need to wear a mask anymore, but if you have not… you need to continue to wear it. 

if you did not register your covid card through the employee portal, and you are caught without a mask on, you are in violation of dress code and could be terminated 

something does not sound right with this… how long til you think I’ll be fired? 

47 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So an email from corporate came out about an hour ago.. basically what they are saying is:

If you have had your shots, as of June 1st you do not need to wear a mask anymore, but if you have not… you need to continue to wear it. 

if you did not register your covid card through the employee portal, and you are caught without a mask on, you are in violation of dress code and could be terminated 

If you are not vaxxed, then you just have to wear the mask.  Seems clear to me.  If you have the shot, then you can go without the mask.

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We need more info.

Are you not vaxxed or vaxxed but did not register through the company portal?

If either of the above, are you planning on not wearing your mask?

I can not get the shot due to medical reasons. Others at the store are not getting the shot until it is FDA approved. 

therefore the ones that are vaccinated are the ones being discriminated against since they must continue to wear the mask. Or that’s how I am reading it. 
should t it be up to the person if they want to wear it or not? They know the risks involved.. so why threaten with termination if they don’t want to wear the mask.. 

to me it’s “let’s shun the outcasts”

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

I can not get the shot due to medical reasons. Others at the store are not getting the shot until it is FDA approved. 

therefore the ones that are vaccinated are the ones being discriminated against since they must continue to wear the mask. Or that’s how I am reading it. 
should t it be up to the person if they want to wear it or not? They know the risks involved.. so why threaten with termination if they don’t want to wear the mask.. 

Yes, it’s discrimination. It’s grooming for things to come. And i do not agree with it. 

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Yes, it’s discrimination. It’s grooming for things to come. And i do not agree with it. 

I think I don’t like the “let’s put your name in a database”… not being a smart add, but it’s turning the population against each other.. next thing you know (and not being a smartass)… the non vaxed  will have less rights, tattoos, and tossed in camps. 

• Heart 1

Were it a government rule I might agree.  Since it's a company, "it's their game and their rules".  I've been told that certain shirts that I wore to work were inappropriate.  OK, I like the job so I don't wear the shirts.  Most stores here in CT still require a mask to enter.  Bars, restaurants and tattoo parlors seem to top the list among those who don't.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Were it a government rule I might agree.  Since it's a company, "it's their game and their rules".  I've been told that certain shirts that I wore to work were inappropriate.  OK, I like the job so I don't wear the shirts.  Most stores here in CT still require a mask to enter.  Bars, restaurants and tattoo parlors seem to top the list among those who don't.

I do not have an issue with requiring masks in buildings, but I do have an issue with saying if your not vaxed then FU.. you have to wear a mask when others don’t. 
yes a business can make up their own rules, but it really is public shamming they are doing. 

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is the USA.  People aren't even smart enough to go online for voting ID. 

Dude.. sit your maple swigging Butt cheeks back down😂

besides that.. how’s it going up there? 

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Others at the store are not getting the shot until it is FDA approved. 

Thalidimide was FDA approved.

28 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My health went downhill after my shots, just saying.

While sad, and hopefully temporary, I suspect it's unrelated.  You've had more than your share of stress and loss, this is your body acting out.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know.  I spend most of my time down there these days. :) 

I will refer to you as boarder bunny from now on. 
If ya ever make it to Texas, let me know

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I doubt you'll get fired.  It's a royal PITA hiring these days.

My guess is you are missing a few key points to the policy.  Just a guess, but usually there are religious and medical exemptions for the vaccine (all vaccines), and reasonable accommodations can be offered, so from a vaccine "requirement", you'll be fine.  Masking, though, as a "uniform" may be stickier. Maybe what the company is doing - as a very public business where the nature of the game is to get folks into the store, lost, and buying all sorts of random stuff they didn't want or need - is trying to make the business customer friendly (in reality or in PR or both), so being able to state "all employees are vaccinated or wearing a mask for YOUR  (the customer) benefit" will entice more shoppers to visit - vaxxed or unvaxxed.

Watch what Wegmans, Target, Walmart, and a few other big retailers do, and expect your place to match it at some point.  Right now, it is the gray area between new territory and "normal", but normal is now right around the corner (and mostly already there for tens or even a hundred millions. 

Long story short, you'll be fine as this shift will take a bit of time for them to roll out and then for those changes to be overtaken by events. My feeling is the masks go away for good soon (some folks bring them back for regular flu season), so the only possible annoyance (a big one perhaps) would be regular proof of a negative test for unvaxxed folks?  I don't quite see this as sensible, but II do see it as a stunt an HR group would suggest as a CYA measure.

• Heart 1

I would get a written copy of the HR policy.  If it isn't yet in writing other than an email, your company may not be able to enforce it.

There have been court cases involving dress codes and people who were fired for not following them, and I think your company may be heading into difficulty by opting to enforce a mask requirement via dress code vs. a health perspective.

Understand I'm not trying to make trouble here, but if the company does have a formal HR policy on masks and you get a copy, I would not read it specifically looking for loopholes in the language.  For example, if it says 'Unvaccinated employees must wear a mask.' I would never suggest complying by wearing a mask on your arm.  If the policy says 'Unvaccinated employees must wear a mask as a face covering.' I would never suggest taking a hole punch to the mask and punch out most of the center part of the mask and comply by wearing the rest of the mask.  Nor would I suggest you wear a Halloween mask to comply with the written wording of the HR policy, either.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I think I don’t like the “let’s put your name in a database”… not being a smart add, but it’s turning the population against each other.. next thing you know (and not being a smartass)… the non vaxed  will have less rights, tattoos, and tossed in camps. 

Are you comparing getting a vaccine to the holocaust? 

In terms of legal language, not “assuming facts not in evidence” is helpful in that you can preclude dumb theories, politicising, and conspiracy assholishness right off the bat and let common sense prevail.    

As stated, the policy is pretty straightforward, leaving only vax or mask as options.  

As a customer, I like it.  Don’t be a spread point, reasons why anyone wants out of that simply don’t matter at this point.  “Just wear the damn mask and quit bitching or get the damn shot and quit bitching” is how most people who either have been vaccinated or are concerned that the unvaccinated anti maskers are going to spread risky mutations are seeing this, and rightfully so.  If I had the option, I would only go to stores where I knew all employees were vaccinated and never shop where I knew they weren’t vaccinated. 

That said, your state is pretty likely to go all lowest-common-denominator on this one any moment now, virtually guaranteeing (with all the other asshole states and countries) that covid will be an ongoing issue pretty much forever, and you won’t have to worry about wearing masks pretty soon.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I think I don’t like the “let’s put your name in a database”…

By law (yes I did a lot of research on this for our firm and our customers), your employer is allowed to record your vaccination history.  If you are not vaccinated, they are allowed to record that as well.  They are NOT allowed to ask you (positively, absolutely NOT allowed, under any circumstances) why you have not been vaccinated.  Answering that question could divulge personal health information PHI you would not be required to provide otherwise and is none of their business.  They are allowed to enforce mask and other hygiene policies based on this.

They are also NOT allowed to record this information in your personnel files.  And there needs to be a designated individual responsible for maintaining these records and their privacy.  If you have a self-administered Health Savings Account or self-administered FSA, someone is designated to process those records that contain PHI - The vaccination policy is to be conducted the same way.  

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I doubt you'll get fired.  It's a royal PITA hiring these days.

My guess is you are missing a few key points to the policy.  Just a guess, but usually there are religious and medical exemptions for the vaccine (all vaccines), and reasonable accommodations can be offered, so from a vaccine "requirement", you'll be fine.  Masking, though, as a "uniform" may be stickier. Maybe what the company is doing - as a very public business where the nature of the game is to get folks into the store, lost, and buying all sorts of random stuff they didn't want or need - is trying to make the business customer friendly (in reality or in PR or both), so being able to state "all employees are vaccinated or wearing a mask for YOUR  (the customer) benefit" will entice more shoppers to visit - vaxxed or unvaxxed.

Watch what Wegmans, Target, Walmart, and a few other big retailers do, and expect your place to match it at some point.  Right now, it is the gray area between new territory and "normal", but normal is now right around the corner (and mostly already there for tens or even a hundred millions. 

Long story short, you'll be fine as this shift will take a bit of time for them to roll out and then for those changes to be overtaken by events. My feeling is the masks go away for good soon (some folks bring them back for regular flu season), so the only possible annoyance (a big one perhaps) would be regular proof of a negative test for unvaxxed folks?  I don't quite see this as sensible, but II do see it as a stunt an HR group would suggest as a CYA measure.

Our state has been wear a mask if you want, but we have been open for a while now. Our store has been mask free for guests for a week or two now. 

now they are doing the “vax or wear the mask” for employees.. yes sooner or later we will just be free from it all, unless something bad happens again. 

13 hours ago, denniS said:

Are you comparing getting a vaccine to the holocaust? 

Not really.. just talking about camps that were set up during the pandemic or how people lost places to live and now camps are all over the US.. tattoos because idiots are out there giving themselves tattoos or their vax card or number to be proud and stand out against the others.
Why would you automatically jump to Holocaust? 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

In terms of legal language, not “assuming facts not in evidence” is helpful in that you can preclude dumb theories, politicising, and conspiracy assholishness right off the bat and let common sense prevail.    

As stated, the policy is pretty straightforward, leaving only vax or mask as options.  

As a customer, I like it.  Don’t be a spread point, reasons why anyone wants out of that simply don’t matter at this point.  “Just wear the damn mask and quit bitching or get the damn shot and quit bitching” is how most people who either have been vaccinated or are concerned that the unvaccinated anti maskers are going to spread risky mutations are seeing this, and rightfully so.  If I had the option, I would only go to stores where I knew all employees were vaccinated and never shop where I knew they weren’t vaccinated. 

That said, your state is pretty likely to go all lowest-common-denominator on this one any moment now, virtually guaranteeing (with all the other asshole states and countries) that covid will be an ongoing issue pretty much forever, and you won’t have to worry about wearing masks pretty soon.

Just calm down and take a deep breath.. 

just because some don’t want the vax does not mean they are bad people, some people can’t have it due to medical reasons.. you seriously are going to give yourself a stroke exiling everyone without the vax. It seriously sounds like ya want to line up all of the non vaxed and put them in a mass grave.. 

Either do as daddy tells you or die!!! 
might as well have companies put signs in their windows saying “non-vaxed need not apply”

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

By law (yes I did a lot of research on this for our firm and our customers), your employer is allowed to record your vaccination history.  If you are not vaccinated, they are allowed to record that as well.  They are NOT allowed to ask you (positively, absolutely NOT allowed, under any circumstances) why you have not been vaccinated.  Answering that question could divulge personal health information PHI you would not be required to provide otherwise and is none of their business.  They are allowed to enforce mask and other hygiene policies based on this.

They are also NOT allowed to record this information in your personnel files.  And there needs to be a designated individual responsible for maintaining these records and their privacy.  If you have a self-administered Health Savings Account or self-administered FSA, someone is designated to process those records that contain PHI - The vaccination policy is to be conducted the same way.  

Just read through out GIG handbook that was updated on April 2021. No where I. The dress code does it say anything about masks. 
This is a beautiful conundrum we have fallen into. 

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Just read through out GIG handbook that was updated on April 2021. No where I. The dress code does it say anything about masks. 
This is a beautiful conundrum we have fallen into. 

You realize that masks are a relatively new problem and may not have been considered in time for that update don't you.  

17 hours ago, KrAzY said:

The main purpose of the masks is to avoid infecting others.

I have a dead Cousin Barbara because a furnace installer thought it should be up to him so he did not wear a mask shortly before learning he had COVID and he infected her.

It should NOT be up to the unvaccinated person because the risks involve include infecting others with COVID much, much more than vaccinated people. It's the same thinking as the requirement for MMR vaccinations before admission is allowed at virtually all of America's public schools.

If you can't get the shot for medical reasons you should be thrilled that the company demands that those who are most likely to infect you wear masks.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, denniS said:

Because that is they did. Tattoos and camps. That is why I asked. I have not heard of vax tattoos. That seems silly.

Silly is an understatement.. goggle the vax tattoos.. they slapping their shot records on themselves

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You realize that masks are a relatively new problem and may not have been considered in time for that update don't you.  

At the beginning of the year they came out with the new dress code and part of it was we could not wear masks with writing, had to be a certain type, and so on.. the GIG was updated in Jan and now again in April. 

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Hmmmmm this could be the PHI your talking about that could cause them problems 

Sorry for the crappy pic.. 

B6D9300F-E011-4DC8-B9AC-6D7F29DE9DAC.jpeg

1 minute ago, denniS said:

The lead and other metals in tattoo ink is probably worse than the vax.

Exactly.  I don't think they are a good idea.  

Sidebar- the MD looking at my skin yesterday said "You must play very hard."  :D

My skin was all scratched up from brushing the property, and she noticed all the other scarring from past crashes.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

People have put silly ink marks on their skin for a long while. I don't understand the whole tattoo thing.  

I love my tattoos.. they all ha e special meanings of stupid times of my life. 
I just hate when they became so popular instead of a rebel thing.. just like the pink era was dyed hair and ripped clothes.. the youth of today is not even about individuality.. just blending in

20 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Hmmmmm this could be the PHI your talking about that could cause them problems 

Sorry for the crappy pic.. 

B6D9300F-E011-4DC8-B9AC-6D7F29DE9DAC.jpeg

I don't see an issue with that question because that aren't being specific.  It's just a general question - It might be religious..... it might be medical.  At that point they aren't asking any details.  There might be a rub when the TMS rep starts asking questions and what the accommodation policy is.  You are not required to explain that you have cancer or are pregnant or have bad hearing from too much metal.....  Those details are between you and your doctor and your insurance provider.  Same here.

How they accommodate you is a different story.  

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I don't see an issue with that question because that aren't being specific.  It's just a general question - It might be religious..... it might be medical.  At that point they aren't asking any details.  There might be a rub when the TMS rep starts asking questions and what the accommodation policy is.  You are not required to explain that you have cancer or are pregnant or have bad hearing from too much metal.....  Those details are between you and your doctor and your insurance provider.  Same here.

How they accommodate you is a different story.  

I read that their decision will be a case by case. They ask you the reason, hear your answer and determine the outcome. 
what if I don’t feel comfortable giving them the medical reason of why.. will they just deny and then I have to do as they say or be terminated. 
also they have had wording that “they do not discriminate again religion, medical, or personal beliefs”

this is a slippery slope for sure.. it’s a damed if you damed if you don’t  

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I read that their decision will be a case by case. They ask you the reason, hear your answer and determine the outcome. 
what if I don’t feel comfortable giving them the medical reason of why.. will they just deny and then I have to do as they say or be terminated. 
also they have had wording that “they do not discriminate again religion, medical, or personal beliefs”

I do not believe they can ask your medical condition.  

4 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Luckily, Texas has fairly robust employee protections in place.  It will be hard, if not impossible, for a company to just let you go with no legitimate reason.  You'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

From the store's perspective, non-vaxed employees can get and spread the virus to all other non-vaxed employees (no matter the reason), so it makes sense to require one or the other so's not to have sick people in your employ getting other employees sick and hurting business.  It is kind of past it if customers are walking around maskless, though.  

I definitely feel like this vax and mask thing are RELATED but by no means the same.  And until there is some sort of explanation and solid proof that a fully vaxxed person cannot just as easily carry and then infect folks as a non-vaxxed person, the masks become either required for ALL or required for NONE.  In a mostly vaxxed group, outcomes will be significantly different than outcomes in a mostly un-vaxxed group, but there are significant individual rights that need to be FULLY considered.

One big thing is where the medical or religious exempt come down on how much interaction with the rest of the world they want (or deserve).  Should an unvaxxed and medically compromised person be required to remove themselves from society for the foreseeable future?  Or how do we accommodate them - not the anti-vaxxers, but rather the can't-vaxxers.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Should an unvaxxed and medically compromised person be required to remove themselves from society for the foreseeable future?

In the volcano with them!  Hahaha!  

Look at Typhoid Mary, she needed to be and was deservedly removed from circulation,  but I am sure she is a hero for "exercising her freedoms", though!  Fight against the tyranny of public health, typhoid is a hoax!

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Either do as daddy tells you or die!!! 

Ridiculous exaggeration, public health vs. RWNJ/hoaxer sloganeering.  To restate, I bet 90+ percent of people are lying when they say they have a medical reason for not getting the shot, and only 10% or less (probably much less) are being truthful.  At least 99% of people claiming they wanted to opt out of wearing a mask for medical reasons (before vaccinations were available) were crybaby liars.  Unless you had facial reconstruction, you really had no reason not to wear one in public before vaccine approval.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

In the volcano with them!  Hahaha!  

Look at Typhoid Mary, she needed to be and was deservedly removed from circulation,  but I am sure she is a hero for "exercising her freedoms", though!  Fight against the tyranny of public health, typhoid is a hoax!

Ridiculous exaggeration, public health vs. RWNJ/hoaxer sloganeering.  To restate, I bet 90+ percent of people are lying when they say they have a medical reason for not getting the shot, and only 10% or less (probably much less) are being truthful.  At least 99% of people claiming they wanted to opt out of wearing a mask for medical reasons (before vaccinations were available) were crybaby liars.  Unless you had facial reconstruction, you really had no reason not to wear one in public before vaccine approval.

Some may say that, while others are told not to by their physician.. it also depends on what their medical history has to say. 

im sure you will also say that we didn’t kill off enough witches and they could be the cause of what’s wrong with our civilization nowadays. 😂

Oh.. we can not forget about the Black Plague.. millions died for the greater cause. 

Which is it you object to most, getting the vaccination which is  for the public good because of some unspecified medical reason, registering that you got the vaccination because it's no one's damn business or wearing a mask because it's just a useless piece of shit?

16 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Oh.. we can not forget about the Black Plague.. millions died for the greater cause. 

Exercising their freedoms?  I don't understand what you are trying to say in anything but your first line. 

16 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Some may say that, while others are told not to by their physician.. it also depends on what their medical history has to say. 

You know the vast majority claiming medical reasons not to get the shots are totally fit for vaccination, they are just weaseling out.  Some, like you and your wife, it is unknown if you are or aren't fit for the shot but it isn't worth it to you find out.  This being the case, I am sure you recognize the posers, liars, or blobbers out there just making excuses, feeble excuses at that.