For sale by neighbor

BR46
Go to solution Solved by Dirtyhip,

We have a house two houses over that the police have been there 3 times in the last 5 days. Two people were arrested last night from inside the house. It's a revolving door of people in and out then this morning I noticed that the home owner that got arrested is back home ( I bet mom bailed her out again) 

The owner of the house is waiting trial for drug dealing where one of her customers od and died and the trial keeps on getting pushed back. 

I was up sitting on my porch till after 11 watching the entertainment. We had 3 police cars, 1 sheriff, 2 ambulances, 1 drug sniffing dog and 5 first responders. 

I told her aunt and uncle that live in our neighborhood that I'm sick of it and I'm not the only neighbor that feels this way. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Is it a million dollar home or a crack house?

It was a nice home 6 years ago. Mom sold the house to her daughter and son in law and thing were going good until 3 years ago. They split up and the daughter started with heroin, lost her high paying job, started dealing. 

It could be a nice house again but it's going to need work. Just the other day someone probably high hit the side of the house with his car pulling into the driveway. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BR46 said:

We have a house two houses over that the police have been there 3 times in the last 5 days. Two people were arrested last night from inside the house. It's a revolving door of people in and out then this morning I noticed that the home owner that got arrested is back home ( I bet mom bailed her out again) 

The owner of the house is waiting trial for drug dealing where one of her customers od and died and the trial keeps on getting pushed back. 

I was up sitting on my porch till after 11 watching the entertainment. We had 3 police cars, 1 sheriff, 2 ambulances, 1 drug sniffing dog and 5 first responders. 

I told her aunt and uncle that live in our neighborhood that I'm sick of it and I'm not the only neighbor that feels this way. 

I bought my first house from a family where the owner was in a nursing home, her daughter was letting her two drug-dealing sons use the house.  There were frequent police raids, parties, etc. and I was well-loved in the neighborhood when I bought the house, that was a fixer-upper to some extent, for about 2/3 the going price in the area for similar houses.

One day, a police car was parked on the street near my house with a police officer inside.

I walked up and said, "Are you here protecting us citizens from the assholes who used to live here?"

I introduced myself, told him I had bought the house and don't know and have noting to do with the people living there before.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I bought my first house from a family where the owner was in a nursing home, her daughter was letting her two drug-dealing sons use the house.  There were frequent police raids, parties, etc. and I was well-loved in the neighborhood when I bought the house, that was a fixer-upper to some extent, for about 2/3 the going price in the area for similar houses.

One day, a police car was parked on the street near my house with a police officer inside.

I walked up and said, "Are you here protecting us citizens from the assholes who used to live here?"

I introduced myself, told him I had bought the house and don't know and have noting to do with the people living there before.

We know that the house will be going into foreclosure and one other neighbor and I we talking about buying it and fixing it back up. 

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Can we just buy the house and kick them out?

Possibly.

what are the terms of the lease? 

If they are monthly renters, you can give them notice to leave for reasons like the home needs remodel, etc. 

If they have a lease, and stay current, you can’t remove them until the lease is up.

we kicked out some people and took over the home to remodel it. They were on month to month tenancy. I gave them 3 months notice as a kindness to them 

check your state rental laws and get an attorney consultation to ask some questions if you are serious.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Let me just say you are lucky you are white. 

We had a kid living with his mom across the street. We knew he was bad news. There were always cars coming and going. Our deputy sheriff neighbor ran plates and new the guys were bad news but he was of his jurisdiction and the people were not doing anything that was probable cause.  
My son was a night owl and would see people dropping off and picking up packages from their mailbox. A federal offense, but no one would take action. 
He “went to visit his dad in Alaska” for 6 months. He is now a dad but separated. He has his boys at the house a couple times per week and is trying to do right. I know an officer has been there a couple times and had “come to Jesus” conversations with him. The worst seems to be passed but 2 guys in their 30s and 40s still living with Mom is still pretty sketchy. 

• Sad 1

• Solution
5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

First thing I would research is the cost to do any remediation if it is indeed a drug house.  Don't want to get into a situation where you can't afford to fix it up and flip it do the amount of clean up of toxic shit you have to do.  

If it was ever a meth house, oof.  Serious hazmat stuff.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

First thing I would research is the cost to do any remediation if it is indeed a drug house.  Don't want to get into a situation where you can't afford to fix it up and flip it do the amount of clean up of toxic shit you have to do.  

I was thinking "plow it under and rebuild", but I guess there are other options :scratchhead:

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was thinking "plow it under and rebuild", but I guess there are other options :scratchhead:

scraping is an option for some, but usually the end buyer, not an intermediary, as you still have to pay for the house, the demo and haul off and then the rebuild, which significantly raises the cost per square foot of the house.

35 minutes ago, jsharr said:

First thing I would research is the cost to do any remediation if it is indeed a drug house. 

Very good point.

There is a no-cost solution, I think.

Get a list of all the former 'customers'.  Tell them they can come in and lick off the floor and walls any drugs they can find, for free.  The place will be sparkling clean in a couple days.

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Very good point.

There is a no-cost solution, I think.

Get a list of all the former 'customers'.  Tell them they can come in and lick off the floor and walls any drugs they can find, for free.  The place will be sparkling clean in a couple days.

spit shined?  I always wondered what that meant.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We were toying with the idea that if enough people chipin we would make it a green space with a fire pit. Then all the neighbors can get together and have a beer around the fire pit. 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

We were toying with the idea that if enough people chipin we would make it a green space with a fire pit. Then all the neighbors can get together and have a beer around the fire pit. 

This seems slightly better. But you and these other individuals would hold the deed, split the taxes?

One  might want to look into dedicating is into permanent green space like some sort of a park and then gifting it to the county/city for a fat write off. Then they have to care for it and you won't have tax liability.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Are you in an HOA?  Would the HOA be interested in keeping this a park for the residents only?  Then maybe you could gift to them and they care for it and pay the taxes.  In that event the taxes could be spread through the entire HOA.  

Just thinking out loud here

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

It's not that kinda neighborhood. 

Some of the house including mine were built in a 1800s

OK. Then I might look into the park/greenspace angle.  Sounds like a nice thing, but it could get spendy.  Especially so, if you have toxic material to dispose of.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK. Then I might look into the park/greenspace angle.  Sounds like a nice thing, but it could get spendy.  Especially so, if you have toxic material to dispose of.

I don't think they cleaned up the dog shit in the backyard in years 

This used to be such a nice and friendly neighborhood.....I just want my old neighborhood back 

This is just one page from the neighbor. She has more 

I have seen several people taken out of the house in handcrafts this year alone. I about to rally the neighbors and head over there with pitchforks and touches 

1850633342_Screenshot_20210525-203111_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dbc2a68aa83d0039e580a472f590a7c9.jpg

• Sad 1