My coffee pot is flaky

Road Runner

I have a stainless steel decanter that built up this black coating inside over years of use.  I never really washed it between uses.  This wasn't a problem until I recently stopped drinking coffee for awhile because it was aggravating my acid reflux condition.  The pot dried out over the weeks of disuse and then when I tried to make a pot yesterday, the black coating started flaking off contaminating the coffee.  I have tried vinegar, hot water and soap, a degreaser, etc and nothing seems to adequately remove this crap.  Now about half the pot is clean and the other half is still nasty and flaking.

What should I do?  Buy a new coffeemaker?  Drink the coffee with the flakes and learn to like it?  Forget coffee and stick to tea?   :(

Any ideas on how to clean it?

Did you boil the vinegar? I had the same issue a while back and put vinegar with a bit of water, let it soak a couple hours then put the decanter on the stove and boiled the vinegar.

It worked, and my house ended up smelling like I lived in a giant bag of Salt and Vinegar chips!

• Heart 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try the ones that I have stuff on hand for first.  And no, I won't be trying the muriatic acid, but thanks anyway, Kzoo.  I'm sure you meant well.   :rolleyes:

And yet you think i kid.  A couple spoonfuls of that stuff swished around in our SS decanter and BAM, clean as a whistle. 

How many cups can I make at one time with a french press?

The one I have is a 12-cup French Press. It basically does 48 oz.

BSY posted a link to one he has that's even better the other day. A nice stainless steel one. He found one the same size. I still have the links at home. Found it at two places for $99.99.

• Heart 1

Hmm.  I didn't know that.  I thought they were for small quantities at a time (1-2 cups).

Nope. They come in all sizes. The thing is though, you don't want it sitting in the grounds, so it's best to immediately pour from Press pot to a thermal carafe.