Is this too cheesy for the memorial service? Serious

Airehead
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

I have to give the opening remarks tomorrow at our agency memorial service for children who have passed in the last 12 months.  Their families usually attend and also staff.  Some passed away recently others maybe months ago so everyone is in a different point of grieving.  This year there are 9 new angels.  

Here is what I just wrote.  I do the welcome and then others speak--- each angel has their bio read by a principal.  People speak from the audience.  A poem is read.  People share. I cry.

Welcome.

My name isAirehead and I am honored to be the Superintendent of Schools for the programs that had the joy of knowing and teaching names of all students.

Today, we gather to remember the many things that made them special in our hearts.  To remember those happy times when we laughed and learned together and those times when our hearts broke as one.

We come here today with full hearts and busy minds. There are no words to express the mixture of feelings that surrounds each of us here.  We may feel-- Sadness for ourselves and others because these amazing, young people are no longer here to show us how to bring joy and a smile to every day despite adversity. 

We may feel grateful that names of all students lived lives that inspired us all to be the best we can be.

We may feel joy that their lives were lived to the fullest and each of these special individuals taught us so much.

We gather to share our pain.  To hurt when we hurt without presuming that each of our pain is the same.  

To cry when needed and not to hide or avoid our tears. For tears are simply memories in motion.

Each part of this service will honor the lives of names of all students..  The hole in the world where they used to live feels especially large and daunting but there is also sunshine and joy shining through that hole.  Let us embrace the sunshine and cherish our memories. 

The lives of names of all students made a difference and will continue to do so as long as each of us remember them in our hearts and carry the lessons of their lives with us.

As we begin, I’d like to ask our President, insert name to say a few words from her heart.

• Heart 4

I attend or provide music for plenty of funerals, and based on what my faith teaches me, I find them to be the most joyful Masses.  "Joy" doesn't always mean "happy".  Just as "sad" doesn't always mean "despondent".  I find the concept of joy in otherwise sad situations hard to explain.

You captured it.

Beautiful.

• Heart 1

Thank you all for your support.  I really fret writing this.  I think I will indeed save this as a start for next year.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.  Each funeral is hard but bring 9 families back inside our school for the first time since their children have passed is going to be emotional for me--- and for them too.

This is really important to my staff.  This process, I believe, allows them to continue to work here year after year.  As I think I have said before some teachers, who work with the most fragile students, lose one or two every year.  Trust me, you don't get used to it and it never gets easier.  

• Heart 1

It’s beautiful. And speaks to the entirety of life with a special needs child. From first moments of wondering how we’re going to do this through every developmental milestone, families of fragile children experience the joy in living on a different scale. 

• Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, roadsue said:

It’s beautiful. And speaks to the entirety of life with a special needs child. From first moments of wondering how we’re going to do this through every developmental milestone, families of fragile children experience the joy in living on a different scale. 

That is beautiful, it is a different scale