Marmot spotting

Dirtyhip

Sounds like trouble to me.  When you step in a marmot hole and break an ankle don't come looking to us for sympathy...  :) 

I guess you have a few months until the season opens on them.  Marmot stew.

"The tarbagan marmot has been eaten for centuries in the native cuisine of Mongolia, and in particular in a local dish called boodog. ... Hunting of marmots for food is typically done in autumn when the animals are heavier since they are preparing for hibernation."

"The most dangerous thing about marmots is that they can carry a bunch of nasty things like ticks that cause Lyme disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It is also possible for them to transmit hantavirus or rabies."

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Sounds like trouble to me.  When you step in a marmot hole and break an ankle don't come looking to us for sympathy...  :) 

I guess you have a few months until the season opens on them.  Marmot stew.

"The tarbagan marmot has been eaten for centuries in the native cuisine of Mongolia, and in particular in a local dish called boodog. ... Hunting of marmots for food is typically done in autumn when the animals are heavier since they are preparing for hibernation."

"The most dangerous thing about marmots is that they can carry a bunch of nasty things like ticks that cause Lyme disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It is also possible for them to transmit hantavirus or rabies."

OK, Mr. Sunshine.  

I love seeing them.  They are so special.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Little marmot in the grass today.  I get so happy when I see them.  Adorable little Phil's.  

I love their faces.

Been seeing so much wildlife on the property and on my trek to work.  

Life is a gift.

So you don't even have to step off the property to find dinner! :dontknow:

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So you don't even have to step off the property to find dinner! :dontknow:

He was actually spotted on my commute.  There is a culvert with a pipe off the bike path.  We stared at each other for a few minutes, after I stopped to watch it.

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Little marmot in the grass today.  I get so happy when I see them.  Adorable little Phil's.  

I love their faces.

Been seeing so much wildlife on the property and on my trek to work.  

Life is a gift.

Have you heard them whistle yet?

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't want this dude shot.  He is too cute for a bullet.

Paintball!!! Not a bullet. 

But, yeah, cows are cute. Chickens are cute. Pigs can be cute.  Rabbits are cute. Heck, dogs are cute.  Your marmot/groundhog is also a varmint, so you gotta expect folks to want to either shoot it and/or eat it.  That's just how it is with cute things and especially varmints.

53 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Is there a difference between a marmot and a groundhog and a whistle-pig?

We have a bigass one living under my neighbor's shed again, dangiit!  Too close proximity to my garden!

If you don't know and LOVE Chunk, you are a monster!

The deer have been chomping the leaves of my berry plants.  I figure they get some and I get some.  I wanted to install a water trough for them. My husband is against this idea.  He said "It will draw the wild animals to our property!"  I said "They are already here.  Why not give them a drink?"

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

The deer have been chomping the leaves of my berry plants.  I figure they get some and I get some.  I wanted to install a water trough for them. My husband is against this idea.  He said "It will draw the wild animals to our property!"  I said "They are already here.  Why not give them a drink?"

We have two flattened spots of grass that sure seems like deers musty be laying there.  Maybe we need a critter cam!  I wonder if it could be beavers, since we do have a pond in the neighborhood and we never see deers in the yard.  They must stay in the woods which are not adjacent to our yard and I've never seen any cross the street.  There are no deer crossings. :D