I went naked today

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Road Runner,

Facially.  For the first time since last summer or whenever the mask mandate went into effect (I forget exactly when).  It was nice.  :)

Still about half the people I saw in stores today were wearing masks.  I guess they haven't been vaccinated yet.  No reason not to be vaccinated at this point here in VA.  Appointments are easy to get and walk-ins are being welcomed in many places.   

• Heart 4

travelling around, we wore masks just because we weren't sure about the local customs.  We were in a lot of anti-mask areas.

Our state's mandate ends tomorrow, I'll carry a mask and wear it any place there's a mask sign on the door.  But otherwise, nekkid.  Including at church.

I am a little concerned - not for my peeps, we're all vaxxed - but for society in general.  The new CDC guidelines won't encourage the non believers to get vaxxed, it will encourage them to lie.  Just the fact that states are offering big cash prizes to get a free, simple, lifesaving shot means that anyone who thought getting a vaccine is a good idea already got one.  And statistics are showing that the  infection and death rate among unvaccinated people right now is the same as it was last April-May - the peak.  No matter how much we pretend and numbers go down, it ain't over yet.

14 minutes ago, groupw said:

I’m about 50/50. If I go into a business and they are wearing masks, I leave mine on. If they are not, I will remove mine. Our Covid numbers are still dropping. Feeling a lot better about stuff. 

I went into Lowe's and my local grocery store.  Both had signs saying that masks aren't necessary if you have been vaccinated.  I think most of the big stores or chains in my area have now adopted this policy.  I would still wear a mask in a store or facility if there were no signs posted saying it was okay to enter without one.  I kept mine in my back pocket today, just in case.  :)

• Heart 1

I've been hearing on the news that the vaccine has proven almost 100% effective against the current strains of the virus.  Last night I saw a blurb that said that the odds are only about one in 10,000 that a vaccinated person will contract Covid-19.  And in the rare event that a vaccinated person does get it, their symptoms will be much milder than for a non-vaccinated person.  I think I can live with one in ten thousand.  

• Awesome 1

Maryland lifted indoor mask requirements on May 15th, urging the unvaccinated to wear them and allowing local governments and stores, etc. to require them.  My county and all others in the Baltimore/Washington area lifted them or will by May 28th, but Baltimore City (which is NOT located in a county) still requires them - which is due to COVID deaths being up 40% there despite being very low in the rest of the state. But it's funny in a way because it's been the poorest at wearing masks and never enforced mask wearing which surely has something to do with it's higher COVID rates.

There are still more MD hospital ICU beds occupied now (101) compared to the lows of last summer (in the 70's) and Acute plus ICU beds are 399 compared to the upper 200's last summer, so COVID has NOT been tamed and won't be until a lot more people get vaccinated - then get a booster shot in the fall or winter.

Still, though fully vaccinated, I wear them into stores because by the time I walk from the car to the door I'm always seeing a "masks required" sign on the door - even the local Walmart where the company itself removed the requirements.  My apartment building still requires them in the public spaces (hallways, elevators, etc.) and the hotel I'm going to spend the next month probably does too.

I haven’t paid close enough attention to our local requirements. I still wear a mask in stores and we require them in our office.  I rarely wear one when outside walking the dog & such but keep one in my pocket.  We still haven’t eaten in a restaurant but you can now. 

Michigan has had changes to the mask requirements but I can't remember all the details.  Something changes June 1st and apparently no masks are needed by anyone and everything back at full strength on July 1st vaccinated or unvaccinated.  Business however operates under MIOSHA rules and nothing changes for businesses regarding masks until sometime in October.  So apparently in July you can go to the store or restaurant without a mask but the server or cashier still has to have a mask. 

Here we will still require self-screening temp at the door - Log in records and some social distancing guidelines until October.

14 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I read on the news that 70% of people who get covid had lingering (read as permanent) damage such as shortness of breath.

I hate this disease.

Gf's heart is starting to improve just recently after having covid in September; she has two cardiologists at 49 years old and gets winded on one flight of stairs from covid (she had no preexisting conditions).  All the dummies saying "99% of people survive the hoax" as their basis for being selfish fuckwits can kiss my ass, and I have a coworker who has a girlfriend that has had heart and lung issues from covid last July that have not improved at all. 

Getting vaccinated might save you from some pretty severe lifelong problems, drawing the short straw might get you chronic and life-changing limitations for the rest of your life if you don't get the shots, or it could kill you if you get the shortest straw.  Seems the smart play is getting the shot if you are at all able.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I hate this disease.

I wonder what the future will hold for this disease?  Will it continue to hang around and get worse every winter, something like the flu?  At some point, will we have to accept its continued existence and the resulting consequences for many years to come?  Or might it evolve into even more contagious and severe forms in the future that are much worse and harder to control than the current strains?

We have concentrated much on controlling the virus (and rightly so) and reporting on the various aspects of its effects on individuals and on society in general, but I have heard little about the long term prognosis for the disease, if there is one.         

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have heard little about the long term prognosis for the disease, if there is one. 

I would suspect it will be around forever at this point, with so many people not getting vaccinated and not being careful at all.  If it mutates within a narrow range, it should start to eventually be less severe if it follows the cold and flu paths.  Since it seems to be mutating pretty quickly, it could really go nutso if a funky mutation escapes the vaccine or antibodies of those previously infected.  Fingers crossed, but people are crazy and short-sighted, so nothing is gonna surprise me at this point.

• Sad 1

• Solution
10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

people are crazy and short-sighted, so nothing is gonna surprise me at this point.

Some people take longer than others to accept any sort of new reality.  Initially, I may have been a bit skeptical about the severity of the disease myself.  But that was quickly overcome by the overwhelming existence of something called, "facts".  Why anybody at this point still doesn't want to get vaccinated is very hard for me to understand. 

My neighbor, who is a great guy and who has been a big help to me on numerous occasions, insists that he will not be vaccinated.  I assume this will apply to his wife and daughter as well.  I just don't get it.    :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Some people take longer than others to accept any sort of new reality.  Initially, I may have been a bit skeptical about the severity of the disease myself.  But that was quickly overcome by the overwhelming existence of something called, "facts".  Why anybody at this point still doesn't want to get vaccinated is very hard for me to understand. 

My neighbor, who is a great guy and who has been a big help to me on numerous occasions, insists that he will not be vaccinated.  I assume this will apply to his wife and daughter as well.  I just don't get it.    :(

I was very skeptical at the beginning.  I assumed it was a nasty flu and I'd be fine.  When we were mandated by the hospital to wear masks at work, I took it off when I walked out the door.

As the pandemic progressed, I felt like I was living in a Stephen King novel.  Boston was like a ghost town.  I work near several major teaching hospitals and Harvard Med school.  Plus, tons of research in our area.  It was abandoned.

Then people started dying.  Then hospitals got trucks to store the dead in.

Now we're opening everything back up as if nothing ever happened, but I started wearing a tinfoil hat.  

I am pretty paranoid at this point, but like others, want my life back.

• Heart 1