Bikes in the shop

Square Wheels

Seems the castings on the front caliper didn't marry up well and it was leaking.  Waiting for a new one to come in.  I guess I got lucky that a new one even exists.  Sram is shipping it tomorrow.

Better to learn of this issue now than going downhill and discover I have no brakes.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Luckily, from what I can tell, SRAM makes the best and most reliable brakes on the market, so between SW's Fred Flintstone powers and because SW never rides down a hill (all about the inclines, baby!), he'll be fine and this warranty work is surely just to check a box and move on.

:check: Fix brakes.

:check: Shave head.

:check: Reorganize sock drawer.

:check: Ban RE.

Let me guess, "Checks all the boxes", right?

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yep.  They stand behind their parts and you don't have to wait for the local shop to consult with someone in Japan.

It works great when you are vacation. The shop can sell you a set of Shimano brakes because they can't fix your Sram brakes. The best part is all you have to do is say brakes and they can diagnose the problem because it is so common.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

It works great when you are vacation. The shop can sell you a set of Shimano brakes because they can't fix your Sram brakes. The best part is all you have to do is say brakes and they can diagnose the problem because it is so common.

SW: I seem to have a problem with my bra.....

LBS guy: Are they SRAM?

SW: Wait. What? How did you know?

LBS: :lol:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Dang, tough crowd....  Sorry SW, did they say how long it’d be in for?  Weathers shaping up, I’d be itching to ride...

He knows we only tease him cuz we love him and we are jeaulous.  Hot wife, sexy drop top Beemer, bike that costs more than my car.   I have a new pistol I want to take to the range but I will be with the Scouts all weekend.  May get a chance to go enjoy the freedom that those who gave their lives to provide to me then.  Seems sort of fitting, does it not?

Glad you found this out now @Square Wheels and not when you really needed your brakes to work.  

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

X.9 and X.0 were flawless for me.  I am one of the few around here though who could manage the intricacies of grip shifters.  :lol:

I have Shimano now.  Meh.

I haven't had too many problems with Sram drive trains, mostly their brakes. I will say my Shimano products do last longer and Shimano XT brakes are better than anything I have used from Sram.

I've replaced Sram shifters and derailleurs that were not that old. 

9 minutes ago, denniS said:

I haven't had too many problems with Sram drive trains, mostly their brakes. I will say my Shimano products do last longer and Shimano XT brakes are better than anything I have used from Sram.

I've replaced Sram shifters and derailleurs that were not that old. 

I can't speak to their brakes.  Avid here.

I do miss the SRAM grip shifters however.  There was nothing like the feeling of coming to a slow part, like zigging through the opening in a gate on the trail while shifting 3 gears in the back and one in the front all at the same time without ever taking my fingers off the bar.  IMO SRAM's greatest idea was using the same mechanism in the front shifter as the rear.

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think it was an SRAM twist shifter than crapped oot on my daughters very lightly used but old Trek 520.

Not all grip shifters are X.9 or X.0 quality.  Those were the top of the line SRAM.  Many inexpensive bikes came with grip shifters that gave grip shifters a bad name.  I don't know what level of twist shifter came on the older 520's

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Hey @Square Wheels, did you ever get your bike back from the shop? This would be a beautiful day to ride.

Nope.  The front caliper was defective.  They ordered one from SRAM.  As of yesterday it hadn't come in.  It was supposed to be done yesterday, so they pulled one off one of their new bikes and put it on mine.  One of the perks of likely buying the most expensive bike they've sold this year.

I pick it up later today.  I will go for a ride tomorrow with the wife, about 40.  I am heading to my treadmill this morning.  I love my treadmill.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope.  The front caliper was defective.  They ordered one from SRAM.  As of yesterday it hadn't come in.  It was supposed to be done yesterday, so they pulled one off one of their new bikes and put it on mine.  One of the perks of likely buying the most expensive bike they've sold this year.

I pick it up later today.  I will go for a ride tomorrow with the wife, about 40.  I am heading to my treadmill this morning.  I love my treadmill.

Is it possible that your treadmill makes you happy?????

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

One of the perks of likely buying the most expensive bike they've sold this year.

I get treated real well at my LBS. I don’t buy their most expensive bikes  but I buy a lot of bikes, outfitting My son and his wife and six kids with Treks and upgrades and all of my bikes until this Lynskey. He knows I tried to order another 520 and couldn’t get one so he isn’t ticked that I bought a Lynskey. He says just bring it in whenever it needs serviced and I’ll take care of you.

• Heart 1