Rear wheel slipping in the dropouts

TrentonMakes

Question

I've been lucky; not much this summer in the way of "mechanicals" but one reared its head on my last ride, and I dealt with it again tonight. 

My road bike is built on an 80s-era steel frame with horizontal (forward facing) dropouts (i.e. not track style).  With the tremendous wattage* :D  I pump out while standing on climbs I've pulled the wheel so the tire is rubbing on the left seat stay.  I have a Shimano QR skewer that seems to be as tight as I want to make it. 

Is it possible to add a toothed ring washer in there?  Or I suppose I could just go with a bolt-on, allen head skewer (or have the axle swapped out).  Suggestions? 

...also my rear wheel's gone a little out of true but I can take care of that.

* actually I believe it is a lot of wattage, but it's neatly countered by my weight.

3 answers to this question

Horizontal drop-outs can be a problem. One possibility is that you have an exposed cam skewer. They don't provide as much clamping force. Here's a good article on them:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

You could buy some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Hex-Key-wheel-skewers/dp/B007WUO5V6

• Heart 1

Thanks, Jerry.  Well, I have an enclosed-cam skewer, but the opposite end is a plastic nut with the aluminum insert and I think that's where the problem is.  I wonder if a stopgap might be to reverse it, so the cam end is on the drivetrain side where it can better resist those forces.

As I recall, this issue came up because my rear wheel is built on a Deore LX (MTB) hub that's adjusted for road bike dropouts - the cap nut on the skewer bottomed out before it was tight so I used a nut that the threaded end passes through.  Therefore I would think an enclosed cam road skewer might help.  (the allen head skewers don't seem to have good reviews)

But I spent some time adjusting Saturday morning, and it didn't happen on yesterday's ride - although there were a couple times when it felt like it happened.  But no, that dragging on that climb was just me.