Having friends over for dinner

Square Wheels

Given your job, you've seen more of the direct impact of this pandemic.  It's natural to be careful but I hope you can still have a good time with your friends.  The lack of connection has an impact too, and I hope you can  have a  nice night while still feeling safe.

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I am nervous.

They will be inside our house.

I will stay as far away as possible, in our small house.

I will wear a mask when not eating.

You've been vaccinated - how about your visitors?

The # of deaths/day in the USA has gone up from the 500's to around 700 in the past week, so it's not close to being over and I don't think it's wrong if you velieve you need to be careful.

I've gotten a little lax about wearing a mask after being fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine two months back.  For about a week, it's no longer required in the apartment building I'll be moving from the next 2 days and a couple days ago I stopped wearing it, though I haven't gotten closer than "social distancing" to anyone.

Masks are still required in most stores I've been in but the state and all the counties bordering Baltimore City or D.C. have dropped indoor mask requirements, allowing local governments and stores to still require it.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I am nervous.

Baby!  I travel extensively including riding in the back, positioning.  I have only caught covid once in the past two years!  :)

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I am nervous.

Are you truly worried?  You are vaccinated. I assume your wife is vaccinated. These friends most likely have been vaccinated. So what's the worry?

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Are you truly worried?  You are vaccinated. I assume your wife is vaccinated. These friends most likely have been vaccinated. So what's the worry?

I worry that people don't understand that vaccination isn't a 100% "it's over, I can do anything".

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I worry that people don't understand that vaccination isn't a 100% "it's over, I can do anything".

How does that affect SW and his very straight-forward "dinner with friends"?  It's not like they are planning to eat dinner in the COVID ward at his hospital.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, MickinMD said:

You've been vaccinated - how about your visitors?

All people in my house have been vaccinated.

13 hours ago, Airehead said:

What is for dinner?

Indian, it was amazing.

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Are you truly worried? 

Yes

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

How does that affect SW and his very straight-forward "dinner with friends"?  It's not like they are planning to eat dinner in the COVID ward at his hospital.

That's one of the tricks with labeling Covid.  We never had a Covid ward.  We had a morgue full of bodies and trucks outside full of bodies, maybe that was the ward.

You don't get treated for Covid, it's a virus, there is no treatment.  We treat the symptoms, if we can.  Once you no longer are Covid positive you no longer labeled a Covid patient.  Now you're a lung patient, a kidney patient, your placed on ECMO, or your just dead.  When you die, you die from lung failure.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

On 5/30/2021 at 6:40 AM, Square Wheels said:

You don't get treated for Covid, it's a virus, there is no treatment.  We treat the symptoms, if we can.  Once you no longer are Covid positive you no longer labeled a Covid patient.  Now you're a lung patient, a kidney patient, your placed on ECMO, or your just dead.  When you die, you die from lung failure.

Perspective we need to hear about viral infections. I hope more people continue to get vaccinated.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Perspective we need to hear about viral infections. I hope more people continue to get vaccinated.

Didn't you take from SW and Maxx that being vaccinated seems to mean next to nothing?

I know folks who won't fly in airplanes because they crash.  I know one person who won't drive on highways because people have died on the highway in car crashes.  I can't (don't try) to win those people over to flying or driving, but I certainly won't follow their lead on choosing how I get places.  If we can't all agree that being vaccinated yourself, your spouse, and the folks you might be interacting with is ENOUGH, then we are all truly screwed, and there will be no return to simply fearing the "normal" stuff folks used to fear.  People need to start spinning down their motors a bit, and reassess where things stand in their lives.  COVID still exists, is still killing folks, can still be spread, and still needs attention to beat it  back, but in MA or CA or VA or NM or wherever in the US, it has turned a huge corner, and EVERY SINGLE DAY sees more folks vaccinated, and rates of nearly all metrics heading in the right direction.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:40 AM, Square Wheels said:

That's one of the tricks with labeling Covid.  We never had a Covid ward.  We had a morgue full of bodies and trucks outside full of bodies, maybe that was the ward.

You work in a hospital. You MUST have access to the data.  Plot that in a simple spreadsheet.  COVID admissions, COVID deaths, COVID ECMO treatments, etc..  Do you really not see a line that starts at zero, skyrockets at some point, and then has steadily dropped lower and lower each week since the vaccinations started?  Have your second and third and fourth waves been growing and not shrinking?  What in the data has you still nervous? 

Normal caution and an awareness of risk is a good healthy thing, but follow the information you have and let it reduce your worry when it should.

12 minutes ago, roadsue said:

No, I took from SW that people are treated for respiratory failure. 

It would be interesting to know how many of fully vaccinated folks have been treated for respiratory failure due to COVID.  That's a stat that might inform the discussion?  I think this thread is about four fully vaccinated adults having a nice evening together.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

A little dramatic. 

Sort of the point. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The problem is, the virus and the vaccines were weaponized for political purposes.  That is why large numbers of people refuse the vaccinations.  

Nah. Maybe some... But the anti-vaxers I know have been radicalized for stupidity purposes. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

Nah. Maybe some... But the anti-vaxers I know have been radicalized for stupidity purposes. 

Well, just make sure to thank President Trump for removing the regulatory hurdles that made development possible.  Also, Thank President Biden for the time machine that allowed him to be vaccinated before taking office yet deliver the first vaccines while in office.  :) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It would be interesting to know how many of fully vaccinated folks have been treated for respiratory failure due to COVID

Yes. I also want to know when the booster is coming around. 
A friend from church had covid, was in the hospital for nearly a month, survived. Then got the vaccine last week, and relapsed into lung failure, needed to be hospitalized and put on oxygen. 
#2 son was on oxygen from birth through his first year. His doctor said it’s the altitude. If we were at sea level he would’ve been fine. So, I wonder whether covid at altitude is different from covid at lower altitude, too. 

I have a friend who refuses to get the shot...2 people she knows had reactions..she wants to bike..I might but we won't  be driving somewhere together.

I still wear a mask in public spaces..but socializing with vaccinated friends..no mask is ok...most of my friends are still cautious...I cringe when people say Covid is over.

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It would be interesting to know how many of fully vaccinated folks have been treated for respiratory failure due to COVID.  That's a stat that might inform the discussion?  I think this thread is about four fully vaccinated adults having a nice evening together.

Sort of the point. 

I saw a number not long ago for the US and it was just over 5000.  Didn't look into the source nor the manner in which the data was collected so take it for what it is worth.  5000 deaths after full vaccination, not cases. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I saw a number not long ago for the US and it was just over 5000.  Didn't look into the source nor the manner in which the data was collected so take it for what it is worth.  5000 deaths after full vaccination, not cases. 

I checked what the CDC (the lying bastards!) are saying, and had this one pop up:

image.thumb.png.70e0a5465672f9db7d4d88f98414ebc7.png

image.thumb.png.59bd34f86da6314b187e24bc0d54625d.png