Farm Stands

Dottleshead

We don’t have the farm stands that you described but t we do have farmers markets and shops that sell local products. There are farms with an online presence that I can order cuts of meat and pick up. A house up the road from us sells eggs from an outdoor fridge on the honor system. She sells loaves of bread on Thursdays. I gave them the spent grains from my last batch of home brew to feed their chickens.

55 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Yes, lots of little stands. I went to Penn Yann today to the bulk food store. Stopped for carrots and fresh bread at a stand in the way home. We also saw the pierogi palace. 

2C9A51FD-3B9B-4081-82FB-FEBFF0D7B7EE.jpeg

We have a local manufacturer plus hot meals if it weren't for covid.

Info | Ukrainian Fine Foods

One of their seasonal flavours is saskatoon berry. Another indigenous local fruit.  I love their perogis...they stuff them well and the perogi doesn't fall apart when cooked.

No, farm stands would mean travelling out 80 kms or so for me or more. And local means:  beets, huge zuchinni, etc.  Some veggies and fruits must come from British Columbia because our growing season isn't long enough.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I think I told you all that since moving up into Whatcom County, our new home literally sits between the city and the farmlands.  We now have access to local farmers products within a hop, skip, and a jump.  The valley is spotted with little farmer stands selling their fresh local products.  My wife and I can't help but stop at each one now and support our local farmers.  We hit them up for fresh produce all the time and I must say since I've been given the green light by my coronary dietitian, we've also been getting the farms fresh eggs.  What a difference!  Fresh lettuce, fresh eggs, fresh berries.  Even fresh and locally produced cheese and bread. They even sell seafood from the local industries around the Salish Sea. And it warms my heart these stands are unmanned and believe in the honor system -- something that is still valued in the country and not seen as a free high from some drug user.  It makes me feel good to support the locals but even better knowing I'm getting fresher, better tasting product. For the record, my wife now makes the most tastiest, most delicious egg sandwich on the planet. Garlic sourdough and copious amounts of hot sauce.

Do you live near agriculture where you live?  

You're in a good place...literally. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I think I told you all that since moving up into Whatcom County, our new home literally sits between the city and the farmlands.  We now have access to local farmers products within a hop, skip, and a jump.  The valley is spotted with little farmer stands selling their fresh local products.  My wife and I can't help but stop at each one now and support our local farmers.  We hit them up for fresh produce all the time and I must say since I've been given the green light by my coronary dietitian, we've also been getting the farms fresh eggs.  What a difference!  Fresh lettuce, fresh eggs, fresh berries.  Even fresh and locally produced cheese and bread. They even sell seafood from the local industries around the Salish Sea. And it warms my heart these stands are unmanned and believe in the honor system -- something that is still valued in the country and not seen as a free high from some drug user.  It makes me feel good to support the locals but even better knowing I'm getting fresher, better tasting product. For the record, my wife now makes the most tastiest, most delicious egg sandwich on the planet. Garlic sourdough and copious amounts of hot sauce.

Do you live near agriculture where you live?  

As you go west a couple miles inland from the Chesapeake Bay shoreline of my Anne Arundel County between Baltimore and Annapolis there are mixes of small towns and farms. The farm stands are relatively few but most are large and are either coops or have an owner that deals directly with the farms.  There were a couple very large farms not far from the high school where I taught, which is about 20 min. S of Baltimore.

In Annapolis, we have the Pennsylvania Dutch Farmers Market that everyone just calls the "Amish Market" open Thurs-Sat, which is mostly food from farms in Amish Country around Lancaster, PA. including some prepared stuff.

South of Annapolis is mostly rural between the Bay and the D.C. outer suburbs and there are a lot more small farm stands there.

In our area, we also have trucks parked alongside some roads in warm weather seasons advertising "Live Crabs and Oysters."

There's a farm stand near me that features mostly local farm stuff and I buy a lot of veggies there - they're not cheaper than the supermarkets but usually taste better and last longer in the fridge.

• Heart 2