I think my knee is getting better!

Nate

What did you you do to it to cause the problem?

that's what I'm trying to figure. The same thing happened last year. I think it started with bad cleat alignment. I've noticed that when I change from my winter shoes to my summer shoes roughly coincides with when this stuff happened last year too.

I think next season I'm going to get new shoes and go to speedplay pedals

but I might just be getting old and I can't do the sort of things I used to do. Until I can ride a full summer, I have to at least consider that.

If I have a good season next year with no knee trouble, then I know it was an injury. If it happens every year when I start to build out to longer and harder rides, then I have to say that it might be all the miles catching up with me

it felt good to do a lot of climbing and not have my knee get sore, so that's a positive thing

Is it only when biking? Do you get the knee pain from other things like walking/hiking, etc..?

no, walking hiking all that is fine. Its not in the joint itself, but in the tendons that attach to the knee cap.

It seems like bike riding is the only thing that really puts a strain on the stuff that is bitched up. I'm not even sure riding is the cause. IT might be that riding just aggravates it after it is hurt

I would suggest not guessing and go see a good orthopedic doctor.  

suggestion noted

but for the record, I'm not going to pay some quack a shitload on money to have him tell he to wear a compression sleeve and stay off the bike

suggestion noted

but for the record, I'm not going to pay some quack a shitload on money to have him tell he to wear a compression sleeve and stay off the bike

He may tell you your wife is cheating, your daughter is pregnant, your son is gay (nttiatwwt) and that your tennis elbow will not get better if you don't stop beating off.

no, walking hiking all that is fine. Its not in the joint itself, but in the tendons that attach to the knee cap.

It seems like bike riding is the only thing that really puts a strain on the stuff that is bitched up. I'm not even sure riding is the cause. IT might be that riding just aggravates it after it is hurt

Sounds similar, but somehow opposite of the knee issue I've been dealing with for almost 2 years now.

I can bike without too much trouble (*most* of the time), but walking/hiking is starting to be what really aggravates it bad.

Mine is also the tendons. In particular (they found this from MRI), one tendon. The knee cap is held in place with a tendon on each side. One tendon is a little looser than the other and causes the cap move in a little on that side which in turn pushes the patella off track just a little. A symptom is that the IT band is often REALLY tight. One thing they've had me doing that helps is to loosen the IT band. I just take a rolling pin and roll it on the quad and IT band (side) of that leg when it's tight.

Good luck. I've been dealing with something similar for almost 2 years and it seems to only be getting worse. :( It sucks. I know.

He's going to know or do much without an MRI. If your insurance will cover and MRI, then it's definitely worth it to find out what's REALLY going on.

I've been healing sports injuries for decades. I know anatomy pretty well and I know what I am feeling and I know what is happening with my knee. I also know the treatments that a doctor can prescribe, too, so I'm doing that

what I don't know is the root cause, but a doctor won't know that either

He may tell you your wife is cheating, your daughter is pregnant, your son is gay (nttiatwwt) and that your tennis elbow will not get better if you don't stop beating off.

that's the thing, this is one of those "hey doc, it hurts when I do this" sort of things 

I've been healing sports injuries for decades. I know anatomy pretty well and I know what I am feeling and I know what is happening with my knee. I also know the treatments that a doctor can prescribe, too, so I'm doing that

Not to be argumentative, but pretty much all of what you said is hogwash.   :(

:rolleyes:

You and EPG would make a great pair. I really wish he would come oer to this forum

Not to be argumentative, but pretty much all of what you said is hogwash.   :(

but seriously, if it was a more serious injury I'd go see a doctor. If it wasn't getting better and getting worse, I'd go see a doctor

but right now, I think its getting better, so I don't know what he'd be able to do for me when I'm this close to being back at full strength