TNITIB

jsharr

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

So? Happy son? Sad son? Bent out of shape Dad?

We will find out tonight sometime after seven when we get to see it.  I left out that detail in the first post.  It was still in make ready last night and we did not get to see much, other than glimpse of it's rear end and under carriage, as it was up on a lift behind a looked door that did have a window.  So we know it exists and they are holding it for us.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Is he keeping his Jeep?

The jeep is actually Martha’s he has just been driving it as she is off of work for a couple of weeks for early summer break from school

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, groupw said:

We have a Mazda 6 of similar vintage. Normally aspirated 4 cyl with auto. Even in that basic trim, it is a blast to drive! I bet that 3 would be awesome!

He wanted a standard.  Then we test drove a 3 with an auto and he was surprised!  This one is at the top of what we wanted to spend, but a one owner car.  Bought as a graduation present for a kid and it saw him through college and law school and he just bought an Audi and traded this one in.  I still want to drive it, look it over and maybe try to a haggle a like, but the price shows to be a pretty good deal on the online sites and I know they are looking it over, as it was up on a lift last night at their make ready facility.

The ones we have looked at before were a few years older and had some cosmetic issues.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

We will find out tonight sometime after seven when we get to see it.  I left out that detail in the first post.  It was still in make ready last night and we did not get to see much, other than glimpse of it's rear end and under carriage, as it was up on a lift behind a looked door that did have a window.  So we know it exists and they are holding it for us.

The jeep is actually Martha’s he has just been driving it as she is off of work for a couple of weeks for early summer break from school

What is good about their automatics is the manual shift portion works like it should. On both the 6 and our CX5, I will leave it in D most of the time, but on certain roads, it's better to shift myself. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why not a stick Miata?  If you want a Mazda, get the fun one!

He is pragmatic.  He wants a hatchback so he can fold the seats down and get his camping gear back there.   Also, the 3 hatch is different.  He does not want a big truck, or a plain jane sedan.  This is a fun car to drive.  

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

He is pragmatic.  He wants a hatchback so he can fold the seats down and get his camping gear back there.   Also, the 3 hatch is different.  He does not want a big truck, or a plain jane sedan.  This is a fun car to drive.  

A Miata has a passenger seat and NO ROOF so he could fill it with camping gear.

And, technically, shouldn't all his gear should easily fit in his backpack?????

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A Miata has a passenger seat and NO ROOF so he could fill it with camping gear.

And, technically, shouldn't all his gear should easily fit in his backpack?????

I worry about kids with cars that have large capacity from past experience.  We used to cram 6 people in a car to go drinking (including the driver) when in college.  Remember, in college you try to smarten up the dumb folks, but it is really just a beginning, and everyone is pretty dumb when they are a teenager in college.

I think the best car for teenagers is a two-seater, then you limit worst-case scenarios if they make a bad decision or fall asleep at the wheel or drift whilst fiddling with stereo or navigation, and can take out only an additional friend and the other car if things go really, really bad.  Weird to think about, but it is a consideration, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I could get a surprisingly large amount of stuff in that small car. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I worry about kids with cars that have large capacity from past experience.  We used to cram 6 people in a car to go drinking (including the driver) when in college.  Remember, in college you try to smarten up the dumb folks, but it is really just a beginning, and everyone is pretty dumb when they are a teenager in college.

I think the best car for teenagers is a two-seater, then you limit worst-case scenarios if they make a bad decision or fall asleep at the wheel or drift whilst fiddling with stereo or navigation, and can take out only an additional friend and the other car if things go really, really bad.  Weird to think about, but it is a consideration, unfortunately.

I had a pickup truck and it held a LOT of folks in the bed. No seatbelts (no seats!), and it is amazing no one died.  Other friends had pickups too, and they may have even been worse drivers than me.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It seats 4.  Same as most cars.  He is a good kid and we trust him.   The problem with 2 seat cars is they are small and small cars lose in crashes.  At least this is a bit bigger.  

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It seats 4.  Same as most cars.  He is a good kid and we trust him.   The problem with 2 seat cars is they are small and small cars lose in crashes.  At least this is a bit bigger.  

Yeah - so maybe look for a Suburban or Escalade, as we like your kid!  Keep him safe.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I worry about kids with cars that have large capacity from past experience.

There is a set of laws in this state that are designed to protect teenage drivers from themselves. One is to limit the number of passengers when a teen is driving.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Youngest daughter was driving her Mazda Protoge' 5 (predecessor to the Mazda 3) back from school. She was driving 55-60 and an F350 pickup ran a stop sign in front of her. She T-Boned the truck! When the EMTs saw her car they thought they would need a body bag. It took the jaws of life to get her door open, but she walked away with bumps and bruises. She will not buy anything other than a Mazda and that crash had a strong influence on the rest of us. 

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, groupw said:

Youngest daughter was driving her Mazda Protoge' 5 (predecessor to the Mazda 3) back from school. She was driving 55-60 and an F350 pickup ran a stop sign in front of her. She T-Boned the truck! When the EMTs saw her car they thought they would need a body bag. It took the jaws of life to get her door open, but she walked away with bumps and bruises. She will not buy anything other than a Mazda and that crash had a strong influence on the rest of us. 

I have shared the unfortunate death of my Mazda 3 but I had a similar experience.  

I was in a transition lane to the right of thru lanes of a busy SoCal freeway and the transition lanes came to a sudden stop. Guy behind me was trying to get one lane over to the right so was looking back and hit me at about 55 MPH.  The impact shot me to the left/thru lanes and to my luck right into the path a big rig going about 60 MPH that hit me right on the front left wheel.  The impact from the big rig blew the entire front end of the car off, spun me 2 times and I collided with a third car before coming to a rest. 

The impacts broke my seat so I was lying back and pulled myself up only to see an engine and no hood, fenders, grill & radiator. WTF!?!?  People were running up to my car to check on me and I was 100% fine!?!?  I got out and was standing on the side of the road when CHP arrived.  “Where is the driver of this car!?!?”  I said I was and they were like are you OK?  Yeah surprisingly so?  EMT’s checked my vitals & such and said yeah he’s good... 

Anyway the Mazda died a horrible death but I walked away without a scratch. 

• Awesome 3

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

My research shows avg mileage in the low 30s.  

The 3 better have reasonable mpg!  But I do remember shopping the Mazdas vs the similar Honda and Toyota, and Mazda was generally getting lower mpg overall.  You gotta "pay" for fun somehow, and mpg is often where that comes from.  But "smiles per miles" are also very good metrics to use when getting a car.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I had the 6 as well. Great car to drive. Gas guzzler though.

I got around 18-20 in town. Low 30s on the highway. That was with the Ford/Mazda 2.3. I think my daughter was getting a little better with her First Gen Mazda 3 with 5-speed. Same engine I think.  
With the current SkyActive 2.0, they are getting mid 20s around town and over 40 on the highway. 
The Miata gets 30-32 no matter what. 

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That is why I bought the del sol originally, but then the Mrs decided it was TOO small. Plus daughter 1 had a very hard time trying to learn to drive a standard transmission. Daughter 2 got pretty good though. 

• Heart 1

SOOOO....  Got there and the salesman was not there.  Got a new guy.  He drove us back to the make ready lot.  Car has been through mechanical inspection but not detailed.  Has a good sized dent in drivers rear door.  Overall very clean appearing but there are two damage reports to front end.  Minor to right front in 2015 and moderate to left front in 2018.

Makes me a bit leary.  Will go back and look at it once all the make ready is done.

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

SOOOO....  Got there and the salesman was not there.  Got a new guy.  He drove us back to the make ready lot.  Car has been through mechanical inspection but not detailed.  Has a good sized dent in drivers rear door.  Overall very clean appearing but there are two damage reports to front end.  Minor to right front in 2015 and moderate to left front in 2018.

Makes me a bit leary.  Will go back and look at it once all the make ready is done.

Will they fix the door? How is the Carfax clean if it has had two accidents? 

You are a  good dad. Seriously, what are the adoption prospects?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

Will they fix the door? How is the Carfax clean if it has had two accidents? 

You are a  good dad. Seriously, what are the adoption prospects?

Maybe they misheard clean when I asked if it had a clean carfax 

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

By any chance are you dealing with a Used Car Salesman? :scratchhead:

This is Audi of Plano.  Been around for years.  I will carefully review the 5 day policy, which is in writing, prior to signing on the line that is dotted.

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This is Audi of Plano.  Been around for years.  I will carefully review the 5 day policy, which is in writing, prior to signing on the line that is dotted.

Alarm bell #1 was the Carfax not being clean.  Make sure you heed any alarm bell that you hear related to the policy.  Also, have a different car guy put it on a lift and look for more and/or hidden damage.  I assume Carfax doesn't report non-insurance claim damage, so if a person doesn't claim it, it can be "missed".

I do like the car, though, and hope it turns out to be just the cosmetic "dent" and normal non-safety stuff that most cars have.

Here are my thoughts.  
This is an entry level or first car for many, so driven by younger drivers.  Everything in our price range has some dents and dings,   This one is cleaner than most, assuimg the damage, listed as minor on one incident and moderate on the other, was correctly repaired, I am okay with that.  Want to have it put on a lift and looked at.

It will be driven for 4 more years by my son, and will get even more dents and dings, so will not have a lot of value left when he is done with it.

It does seem to have been well maintained.   Interior looks nice.  Very little wear, not tears, etc.  Much better than most we have seen.  Oil has been changed, tires rotated, which shows some level of care.   It has not been detailed yet and it still looked okay.  Allloy wheels in good shape, not all scuffed up.

Over all I think it is a good car, just a bit over priced due to the car fax.  But cars are in short supply right now and we all know how supply and demand works, so I may have to pay more than I think the car is worth.

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here are my thoughts.  
This is an entry level or first car for many, so driven by younger drivers.  Everything in our price range has some dents and dings,   This one is cleaner than most, assuimg the damage, listed as minor on one incident and moderate on the other, was correctly repaired, I am okay with that.  Want to have it put on a lift and looked at.

It will be driven for 4 more years by my son, and will get even more dents and dings, so will not have a lot of value left when he is done with it.

It does seem to have been well maintained.   Interior looks nice.  Very little wear, not tears, etc.  Much better than most we have seen.  Oil has been changed, tires rotated, which shows some level of care.   It has not been detailed yet and it still looked okay.  Allloy wheels in good shape, not all scuffed up.

Over all I think it is a good car, just a bit over priced due to the car fax.  But cars are in short supply right now and we all know how supply and demand works, so I may have to pay more than I think the car is worth.

Pretty much the only thing to worry about is the "is this car safe" and then a bit of "how are the mechanicals".  All else are really just negotiation points, because if the car is safe and the engine & transmission are in good shape, that car will be a fun car to own.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Here are my thoughts.  

And if I could add my $.02, it’s a car with a good mechanical history.  Assuming no major damage due to the accidents it should be trouble free.  My sons GF has a 03 Mazda 3 that’s pushing 200K miles.  Yeah it looks rough but the engine purrs like a kitten. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

First cars it’s not a matter of if, but when they will have an incident. You want a car they like so they will care, but not so nice that it’s the end of the world when something happens. 

and the Mazda 3 got great ratings for crash worthiness.

• Heart 1