Wilbur’s Response in Rattlecan’s thread

Zealot
Go to solution Solved by smudge,

34 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

hmm... before dearie died ...a year ago, he gave up his driver's license on his own.  He was only using 2-3 times in past 8 yrs.  We didn't own a car. So it was rental.

MrsZ’s grandfather gave up his car when he was in his mid to late 80s. He had limited his driving anyway and recognized that he needed to let it go. 

His family would talk about telling him to stop driving. When they asked me, I said that it should be his decision; it’s his dignity and he was a very lucid and rational man.  

• Heart 2

We're only 58 and one of our sons and his wife has been relentlessly working my wife, trying to get us (really her) to move in with them, in Louisiana. "So 'we' can 'retire' and be near their kids". Never mind the rest of our family who has all settled within an hour of where we live now. "There's no catches". Other than I'll need to sell all our vehicles, motorsport toys, etc but we'll  be allowed one car. A rule I had for him when he was sixteen, living at home and collected a fleet of rusted oot jalopies'.  And of course,,, we'll need to help take care of the kids, large house and four acres of land they just bought. I guess I'll see how much it escalates when Mrs goes down there to visit at the end of the month... :angry:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

34 minutes ago, team scooter said:

We're only 58 and one of our sons and his wife has been relentlessly working my wife, trying to get us (really her) to move in with them, in Louisiana. "So 'we' can 'retire' and be near their kids". Never mind the rest of our family who has all settled within an hour of where we live now. "There's no catches". Other than I'll need to sell all our vehicles, motorsport toys, etc but we'll  be allowed one car. A rule I had for him when he was sixteen, living at home and collected a fleet of rusted oot jalopies'.  And of course,,, we'll need to help take care of the kids, large house and four acres of land they just bought. I guess I'll see how much it escalates when Mrs goes down there to visit at the end of the month... :angry:

Maybe you need to have one of ‘those’ talks with your son. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My son says I need to downsize. I agree with him now but I have to get rid of stuff. I got rid of a ton of stuff after my wife passed but then I got sick. I haven’t got back into it yet. 

I wouldn’t worry about that. Let whoever buys the place deal with it. 

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Oh HELL no!! He's looking for free nanny, maid, and groundskeeper. Nope, nope, nope!!!

Sounded that way to me too. But Scooter and Wife should know their son and can hopefully discern his true intentions. 

But either way, I couldn’t have my children support me or impose restrictions on me as long as I am healthy, sane and lucid. 

• Heart 1

When it comes to driving, I will let my kids, not WoW decide if I don't figure it out for myself. I try to be my harshest critic on driving. So far, what I may have lost in reaction time has been balanced by my ability to see things developing so I don't have to make huge reactions. 

I'm hoping being active will put off the need for other assisted living, etc until the very end at most. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Zealot said:

But there are people in your life who will ‘advise’ you, no?

My sisters certainly would, but they're both older than I am.  I'm sure my niece and nephew would help with "big things" but they don't live nearby and I wouldn't expect to see them with the same regularity that their parents see them.

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Sounded that way to me too. But Scooter and Wife should know their son and can hopefully discern his true intentions. 

But either way, I couldn’t have my children support me or impose restrictions on me as long as I am healthy, sane and lucid. 

My opinion, this is our younger son that takes after my wife's controlling side of the family. He joined the military over ten years ago to get away from the family and its inconvenient (for him) hierarchy. Now, after my wife's mother recently passed in a slow decline, Mrs can be easily swayed thinking about her future and future elder care. It's the rest of the family's opinion facing gramma moving away, that our son and his wife (nurse) are taking full advantage of my wife at a vulnerable time. "My wife is a nurse and she and I can take care of you" also using their kids to get the family back he left ten years ago, but on his own turf and his own rules. :(

• Sad 2

After dealing with such issues with parents and in-laws, I hope to be more reasonable than they were. We've already thrown away, sold, or donated literally a ton of stuff so that our kids will have less of a mess. I gave my son all the information he would need about our investments.

• Heart 2

Yeah WoBG and I are getting older...   Overall we are still very healthy.    Then again... in 2016 I learned (acute pancreatitis had me in the hospital for 3 weeks) just how suddenly things can change.

Based on the genetic history of WoBG's family and my family...   The good news, there is longevity in both families.  The bad news, both families have dementia / alzheimer's in their late 80s and early 90s. 

I figure... I have at least 20 years (unless something else gets me sooner) to be self sufficient.  Time will tell...  

I would never expect to move in with our daughter.   Nor would I expect her to move back in with us.   

Where we live...  if we can't drive, we can't live here.   So one of these days WoBG and I will eventually need to move.  Not sure when that will need to happen.  Not sure where we will need to move.  I'll figure that out later.