Care to hazard a guess

jsharr

You are supposed to check that out before buying the car.

So when we got Daughter#1 her first car we had one rule - you pay for your own car insurance.  As typical, the rate was pretty high.  We bought a neighbor's junk pickup truck and assigned her to that vehicle and parked it in the woods.  Her actual car just showed up as an un assigned car - not a real scam since our insurance agent suggested it to us.  When we moved from that small farm we had a salvage company come and take the old truck.  They gave us more for scrap value that we originally paid for it.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, jsharr said:

what it costs per month to insure a 2013 Mazda 3 for a teenage driver?

If the teenager is the principal driver, my guess is $300 for a girl and $400 for a boy.

When I was a senior in high school and began planning to go to a commuter college the next year, the first step was to get a nighttime job to save for a car: my parents didn't own one.

The next problem was that, back in 1967, insurance for a 17 year-old boy principal driver was around $1450/year.  If my mother was listed as the principal driver and I was added, it was something like $360/year for both of us!

So I had to talk my mother into getting her driver's license - which she had given up in the 50's after an accident, not her fault but the other driver tried to talk her into taking the blame, scared her out of driving.

I had to promise my mother that two days/week I'd take her grocery shopping or other places - she had currently needed to go with friends who went where they wanted to shop. Being able to shop where she wanted to go sealed the deal, though she still didn't plan to drive. She finally did with a car given to her by a sister when I left Maryland - with the car - for graduate school in Chicago.

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You need a good insurance company.

I once heard of a 23 year old sailor who had a corvette insured as a 62 Chevrolet Coup, red, at a very reasonable rate.

When I was 20 and bought my brand new Roadrunner, my father acted as the owner and put it on his insurance policy as his second car.  After a month or so, the Allstate agent showed up at the door wanting to take a look at the car in question.  After he examined it, my father's insurance premium skyrocketed.  To avoid any further hassles for my dad, I soon took legal possession and got my own insurance.  It was expensive.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

When I was 20 and bought my brand new Roadrunner, my father acted as the owner and put it on his insurance policy as his second car.  After a month or so, the Allstate agent showed up at the door wanting to take a look at the car in question.  After he examined it, my father's insurance premium skyrocketed.  To avoid any further hassles for my dad, I soon took legal possession and got my own insurance.  It was expensive.

Weren't cars like $1,000 back then :scratchhead:

Couldn't you just buy like three or four and store the back-ups in a garage or barn???

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I wish you would learn to avoid my threads, they are chock full of Texas.

Boot cut jeans?  A leather vest?  Camo underwear?  What are the cool threads worn by the folks in Texas these days? Definitely looser fit stuff probably jumps off the shelves there!

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, that DEFINITELY fell within the range I offered at the beginning.  I easily won this dopey contest!

closest without going over!  Just like the price is right.  Bob Barker would not let you get away with that and neither will I! 

My brother's Mustang died when he was in college. He was going to buy a Charger 2.2 - The one built on the Omni/Horizon platform. Because it was listed as a 2.2, which was basically a tape stripe and a spoiler compared to the base model, it was considered a "performance" car and the insurance was unreal for the time. My mom was with my brother, they were trying to help since he was in school. She asked sarcastically what the insurance was for a new Corvette for him. It was the same rate!

Mazda's have very good safety ratings. Both my daughters had their insurance premiums decrease when they bought brand new 3's in 2015. One replaced a 2007 Mazda 3, the other a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse.. 

• Haha 1