Aging = less tolerance on dental procedures with some pain

shootingstar

I had a filling fall apart, taken out and crown replaced, then my teeth cleaned.

I feel as I've gone through a wringer.  All of this was a little over 2 hours.  All the cool (expensive) technology my dentist has.  It helps the practice to be more efficient, take photos with a wand, but still sticking in the freezing needle..is something I don't want to see even though I have numbing solution already.

I guess I'm not a needle person.  

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I had a filling falling apart taken out and crown replaced, then my teeth cleaned.

I feel as I've gone through a wringer.  All of this was a little over 2 hours.  All the cool (expensive) technology my dentist has.  It helps the practice to be more efficient, take photos with a wand, but still sticking in the freezing needle..is something I don't want to see even though I have numbing solution already.

I guess I'm not a needle person.  

I'm not bad with pain, but the pain I had in tooth #31 that required a root canal in January was the worst tooth pain I've ever had.  There wasn't too much pain with actual root canal, temporary crown, new temporary crown and permanent crown in April - delayed due to swelling of the tooth after the root canal.  There were a couple brief high pain periods.

I got my 4th crown in October about 15 years after my 3rd crown, then my 5th crown after the root canal.  I'm glad I have all my teeth at 70 and hope the recent problems are not a trend.

Sorry for the unpleasant experience but it comes with the territory. Advances in dental care mean that we keep our natural teeth longer rather than replacing with dentures or implants. I love my dentist’s office and the work they can do. It’s not always easy but better in the long run. Next visit is to remove a cracked molar and crown it. Not looking forward to it but it needs to be done. 

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

It ain't fun...but it is better than when we were kids!!

God I remember my dentist in childhood pulling out a tooth..!

I'm considered a good patient...I guess I just tolerate the pain without much visible emotion.  My dentist is quite experienced which is great.

I broke a tooth last week the day before leaving for vacation. Fortunately there is little pain. I'm scheduled for a dentist appointment on the 17th. The only reason I'm not looking forward to it is that I don't have dental insurance. So far paying out of pocket has been much cheaper. The dentist gives a nice discount if paying cash.

43 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I broke a tooth last week the day before leaving for vacation. Fortunately there is little pain. I'm scheduled for a dentist appointment on the 17th. The only reason I'm not looking forward to it is that I don't have dental insurance. So far paying out of pocket has been much cheaper. The dentist gives a nice discount if paying cash.

I will not have my dental insurance benefit after 65, unless I buy.  Dental costs in our province are noticeably higher than Ontario or B.C.  So I've been packing in some visits while I can. 

It's another reason why I've been diligently using my Water Pik for water flossing for nearly a yr. now which helps too.

The needle doesn't bother me, but supposedly I have pretty high pain tolerance. My dad used to, when he was younger. That, and shots/blood draws don't bother me either, likely coming from having docs and nurses in the family.

I had an implant done a year and a half ago. Local anaesthetic for the removal (op1), drilling the hole in my jaw and placing the screw (op2), and then re-doing the screw (normal) along with putting the implant(crown?) in place. That wasn't bad. I think I used one hydrocodone, or maybe one for op1 and one for op2.

I had my last two wisdom teeth removed a year ago. Again, local (unlike the first time). Again, one hydrocodone.

What I am hoping is that I can outlive having to see a periodontist for receding gums. Not likely, but I can hope.

11 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

The needle doesn't bother me, but supposedly I have pretty high pain tolerance. My dad used to, when he was younger. That, and shots/blood draws don't bother me either, likely coming from having docs and nurses in the family.

I had an implant done a year and a half ago. Local anaesthetic for the removal (op1), drilling the hole in my jaw and placing the screw (op2), and then re-doing the screw (normal) along with putting the implant(crown?) in place. That wasn't bad. I think I used one hydrocodone, or maybe one for op1 and one for op2.

I had my last two wisdom teeth removed a year ago. Again, local (unlike the first time). Again, one hydrocodone.

What I am hoping is that I can outlive having to see a periodontist for receding gums. Not likely, but I can hope.

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed in 1 shot when I was in my early 30's. Of course I was useless for the rest of the day.  

Right now, 18 hrs. later I still feel the effects of painkiller in my face from yesterday. I went to bed at 7:30 pm last night.