The kids here are missing out on all the fun

Road Runner

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

They have been schooling at home all this school year.  School ends this week, but for them, it is just another day at home.  Bummer.   :(

BWAHAHA.

I've been hearing that parents bitched incessantly about schools being closed/remote, and now that schools are opening, they are bitching about that - or at least not sending their kids back in droves.  This fall will be interesting for sure. 

• Heart 1

My sister and I were just talking about this. No field day with water balloons and t-shirts to write on, no yearbook signing party, no desk clean out and partially used workbooks. 
But more than that, parents need to acknowledge that their children may be grieving the loss of something they love. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

Two of my granddaughters are planning on going to public school in the fall. One of them was planning on it last year but then their wasn’t any. Both my son and his wife are certified teachers so home school wasn’t a problem for them. The girls want to be in band and sports.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Two of my granddaughters are planning on going to public school in the fall. One of them was planning on it last year but then their wasn’t any. Both my son and his wife are certified teachers so home school wasn’t a problem for them. The girls want to be in band and sports.

Crazy kids!  :D

But can't homeschool kids play sports and be in the band?  They could in my area, and I assumed that was a given everywhere?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

But can't homeschool kids play sports and be in the band?  They could in my area, and I assumed that was a given everywhere?

It’s up to the school district. Some of them have an attitude because when you home school they don’t get all the state money.

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It’s up to the school district. Some of them have an attitude because when you home school they don’t get all the state money.

Yeah - VA just has "property taxes" which means everyone pays into schools, fire, roads, etc..  I think where you have "school taxes", you definitely get into that sort of challenge.

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - VA just has "property taxes" which means everyone pays into schools, fire, roads, etc..  I think where you have "school taxes", you definitely get into that sort of challenge.

I think that would help our district.   Our district is weird as it serves both the uber rich and the very poor.  People that live somewhere in between the two prefer to send their kids to the schools in the wealthier communities and not to a school with high % of ESL kids.

So the metrics are really weird when you look at the testing data, some of the schools test out as some of he top in the state while others are at the bottom.  And the district as a whole is middle of the road… It seems the money also follows suit as some schools have more resources & parent interaction/contribution while others don’t.

I always associate the last day of the school year with the scent of lemon scented Pledge.  We'd always clean our desks an the faux lemon scent was both overwhelming and a sign of summer.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think that would help our district.   Our district is weird as it serves both the uber rich and the very poor.  People that live somewhere in between the two prefer to send their kids to the schools in the wealthier communities and not to a school with high % of ESL kids.

So the metrics are really weird when you look at the testing data, some of the schools test out as some of he top in the state while others are at the bottom.  And the district as a whole is middle of the road… It seems the money also follows suit as some schools have more resources & parent interaction/contribution while others don’t.

Fairfax County is a wealthy county, but within the county, even with a county wide school funding & strategy, there are still "good" schools and "bad" schools, and a lot is related to the neighborhoods that feed those schools.  Poorer neighborhoods will usually under- perform, while wealthier can over-perform.  Our magnet school is consistently a top 5 in the nation school, but even that struggles as the "haves" generally are going to be admitted at a much higher rate than "have nots".

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have the highest income disparity in the country. You have kids on free lunch, sleeping on the floor of trailers or homeless and families that have private jets. These kids attend the same schools. 

Schools here have been open all year here. K-5 went m-th. MS and HS went m, w or t, th, then switched to m-th.

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

They have been schooling at home all this school year.  School ends this week, but for them, it is just another day at home.  Bummer.   :(

Maryland has been one of the stricter states and one of the 10 lowest COVID case-rates per population, but most places had regular in-school classes.  My county's public school system had home schooling on Wednesdays for much of the year: the schools would be disinfected on Wednesdays and Saturday.  My nephew's Catholic school follows the county's school year but had no days of home schooling except for one or two weeks of extended holiday vacations.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Our district is weird as it serves both the uber rich and the very poor.

Is that not the way social engineering is supposed to work?  When I was building homes, there had to be 3 distinct entry points on residential properties.  That guaranteed 3 socio-economic classes all attending the same public schools.  Of course, the Uber-rich not attending public schools and they do have their own enclaves but that is a small minority. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:
4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

They can here, too.

They can in Michigan as well.  Local schools also allow homeschool kids to take some elective classes at the school.  The local school gets partial state credit for those.  Daughter#2 and #3 were both homeschooled from 5th grade on.  I was generally against it at first but they did well and became very independent.  We found strong curriculum and help groups for WoKzoo who managed/administered the process.  For a good part of high school we did dual-enrollment at the local community college so their HS classes were actually college courses with college credit.  We had to pay the tuition but we got to select the classes.  In Michigan if a public school student is in dual-enrollment the local school pays tuition.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is that not the way social engineering is supposed to work?  When I was building homes, there had to be 3 distinct entry points on residential properties.  That guaranteed 3 socio-economic classes all attending the same public schools.  Of course, the Uber-rich not attending public schools and they do have their own enclaves but that is a small minority. 

CAnadian systems are seemingly different than here, then.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

CAnadian systems are seemingly different than here, then.

Subdivision planning.  This is why in Canadian subdivisions, you always see a fixed percent of green space, single family homes, duplex type homes and high density housing.  It is for the greater good, you know. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Subdivision planning.  This is why in Canadian subdivisions, you always see a fixed percent of green space, single family homes, duplex type homes and high density housing.  It is for the greater good, you know. 

The US is all Texass, all the time!  Planning, schmanning.

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Probably so but the school district is called “Newport Mesa” for the cities of Newport Beach & Costa Mesa.  When the district was formed Costa Mesa was a mostly upper middle class neighborhood but certain neighborhoods have become low income areas & Newport Beach went from wealthy to Super Wealth.  

I think the income disparity became more than anyone anticipated 60 years ago.