First ride with the sun sleeves today...

Randomguy

13 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I really just bought them because I didn't want to have to put sunscreen on all the time.

That was my plan.  So far, it's running about a bazillion rides with sunscreen, 0 with my sun sleeves.  For whatever reason, I failed to realize that I was going to be putting sunscreen on my head and neck, and my legs, so just skipping the arms really not a time saver :(  I end up just applying sunscreen to my head/neck, then arms, and then legs. 

One of these days, though...

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Versus his one step "get dressed"?

He doesn't mention if he does sunscreen on his head/neck and legs.  That would be good to know!

On your head and face it’s hard to find sunscreen that won’t burn your eyes when you sweat. My dermatologist recommended Neutrogena for infants. It makes you look like a mime but doesn’t burn your eyes. If you don’t want to look like a mime I found Banana Boat spray for infants is almost as good and it is clear.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

On your head and face it’s hard to find sunscreen that won’t burn your eyes when you sweat. My dermatologist recommended Neutrogena for infants. It makes you look like a mime but doesn’t burn your eyes. If you don’t want to look like a mime I found Banana Boat spray for infants is almost as good and it is clear.

My rule is sunscreen below the eyes, sweat-rag pulled low under helmet to cover the gap to my sunglasses.  Seems the bike helmet lip provides enough shade to prevent any burn to any remaining brow area.

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Versus his one step "get dressed"?

He doesn't mention if he does sunscreen on his head/neck and legs.  That would be good to know!

I spray my head (bald), neck, ears, arms, legs...  Then I spray my hands and rub it on my face / nose.

It takes less than a minute.

• Awesome 1

If I was going for a long ride in the heat of the day, I would probably put some sunscreen on my legs, neck, and below the eyes.  Short rides, I won't put anything on my legs, the hair provides a fair amount of shade for short trips, but not enough if I am going to sweat a bunch over a few hours.

The way I was seeing things with the sunsleeves purchase was that I would save some time, some small amount of sunscreen money after a year's worth of rides or so, and at least my arms wouldn't feel totally gooped all the time.  After the one ride, I am thinking that maybe the sun sleeves will only be for the slightly cooler days, but I will try to get used to them.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

If I was going for a long ride in the heat of the day, I would probably put some sunscreen on my legs, neck, and below the eyes.  Short rides, I won't put anything on my legs, the hair provides a fair amount of shade for short trips, but not enough if I am going to sweat a bunch over a few hours.

The way I was seeing things with the sunsleeves purchase was that I would save some time, some small amount of sunscreen money after a year's worth of rides or so, and at least my arms wouldn't feel totally gooped all the time.  After the one ride, I am thinking that maybe the sun sleeves will only be for the slightly cooler days, but I will try to get used to them.

Arms with sunscreen aren't really too much of a PITA.  It is my legs that become dirt and grime magnets from sunscreen.  I get home and towel off my legs and all sorts of yuck is there.  Much less my arms or face.

You need sun leggings!

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Arms with sunscreen aren't really too much of a PITA.  It is my legs that become dirt and grime magnets from sunscreen.  I get home and towel off my legs and all sorts of yuck is there.  Much less my arms or face.

You need sun leggings!

Towel off after a ride?  Do you not shower immediately after?

:o

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Towel off after a ride?  Do you not shower immediately after?

:o

Before I enter the HOUSE!!!  In the garage, I try to remove the dirt, bugs, and dripping sludge with a towel prior to heading inside.  We're not ANIMALS!!!

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Before I enter the HOUSE!!!  In the garage, I try to remove the dirt, bugs, and dripping sludge with a towel prior to heading inside.  We're not ANIMALS!!!

Whew!  For a second there, I thought you had gone to the SW School of Hygiene and majored in "One Minute Showering" or somesuch!

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

I have been wearing sunsleeves for 3 years now.  Mine are white, Pearl Izumis.  you can squirt some water on them, and they will be cooler for a while. When the temp is 90+F and the dew point is over 50 they are not cooler for long. mine are rated at SPF 50, and you dont have to put on sunscreen. Last weekend it was 58 in town when I started the ride, and down to 48 when I got in the farms.  The sunsleeves served as light arm warmers then.  If there is a gap between the end of the sunsleeves and your gloves you may need to put some sunscreen on your wrists. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I have been wearing sunsleeves for 3 years now.  Mine are white, Pearl Izumis.  you can squirt some water on them, and they will be cooler for a while. When the temp is 90+F and the dew point is over 50 they are not cooler for long. mine are rated at SPF 50, and you dont have to put on sunscreen. Last weekend it was 58 in town when I started the ride, and down to 48 when I got in the farms.  The sunsleeves served as light arm warmers then.  If there is a gap between the end of the sunsleeves and your gloves you may need to put some sunscreen on your wrists. 

Those were the ones I got.  It was a toss up between those and the LG ones, but the PI's were on sale at REI.

Worst case scenario is I have light arm warmers that I didn't have before.  I can live with that.  Now I have white, yellow, and black, the yellow and black ones are Defeet arm warmers.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Those were the ones I got.  It was a toss up between those and the LG ones, but the PI's were on sale at REI.

Worst case scenario is I have light arm warmers that I didn't have before.  I can live with that.  Now I have white, yellow, and black, the yellow and black ones are Defeet arm warmers.

I have two pairs of black wool arm warmers, one pair thinner and one pair thicker.  On moderately chilly days, December thru Feb in Phoenix, I will wear the sunsleeves and put the thinner pair of wool arm warmers over them.  As the morning warms up I take the wool warmers off. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Take a shower when wife is home .If not turn on fan get naked and towel off...lol

• Haha 1