Dishwasher, final appliance selected!

MickinMD

I seldom use a dishwasher but want one to increase the sale value of the house (in 5? 10? 15? years due to age).

So I looked for the best cheap one I could find and, as a result, my out-of-pocket cost for the gas range + above range microwave + dishwasher, above what State Farm is compensating me (I didn't have an above-range microwave or a dishwasher before!) is around $650 total - less than the cost of the two I didn't have before!  The contractor will handle the purchases, deliveries, and installation and bill me for the excess prices.

This is a "tall" model and I had to check with the contractor to make sure it fits under the countertop.

1775767575_SamsungTallDishwasher478HD.thumb.JPG.54a8a455351649929832d4dd8cac9fd5.JPG

1878316685_ProductOverview.thumb.JPG.8362469b546620732865c0b3b6dbe3fe.JPG

I was $51 more expensive when I originally checked it out at Home Depot last month:

20210415_151135_900p.jpg.c18762e053fc376abd84627e6908babf.jpg Capture.thumb.JPG.549094affe5ac71c20d0e66aee75007a.JPG

20210415_151117_900p.jpg.03746041c88e059683d223d94a2c88b7.jpg 20210415_151124_900p.thumb.jpg.ac964cfa25897aae77ff452e167dfaa3.jpg

• Heart 3

We’re not technically empty nesters but my son spends 1/2 the time at his GF’s so we find we hand wash more often now. Otherwise the dishes sit for days & the washer gets funky.

But yeah on nights when we have family dinner it comes in handy and was used nearly daily when we had a full house.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I rinse them real well before I load them and that doesn’t happen. Basically I prewash them but I find that easier than washing and rinsing and drying.

We started doing that as well to limit the smell but might as well wash them all the way if your gonna go that far.  

It only took 20 something years to get my son to put his dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Might take another 20 something to get him to rinse the food off first.  But by then (hopefully sooner) he’ll be smelling up his own place. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

You may decide that you like using it

Thanks for the thought.  The only reason I don't use it is that it will take too long to build up enough dirty dishes to use it.  Instead of cleaning off really messy stuff before putting it in the dishwasher, it's just as easy to put a drop of Dawn on it, wash it clean and put it away.

I'm lazy and to combat the accumulation of dirty dishes I use one of each kind of dish, silverware, etc. and if I wake up and haven't washed everything, I make myself do it before eating breakfast.

34 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for the thought.  The only reason I don't use it is that it will take too long to build up enough dirty dishes to use it.  Instead of cleaning off really messy stuff before putting it in the dishwasher, it's just as easy to put a drop of Dawn on it, wash it clean and put it away.

I'm lazy and to combat the accumulation of dirty dishes I use one of each kind of dish, silverware, etc. and if I wake up and haven't washed everything, I make myself do it before eating breakfast.

I'm the same way. I have to wash my pans so adding a plate, bowl, glass, and some silverware to the mix takes about five minutes to wash everything. I don't think I've used my dishwasher in over a year.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Only one word...............paper plates.

I love summertime grilling.

Womaxx is a baker though so I end up doing a load of dishes almost every day.  Oldest son is a self taught cook who can fill a dishwasher in a single meal.

Your math needs work.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Only one word...............paper plates.

I love summertime grilling.

Womaxx is a baker though so I end up doing a load of dishes almost every day.  Oldest son is a self taught cook who can fill a dishwasher in a single meal.

I actually buy paper plates for family dinner nights. Much easier clean up. 

• Heart 1