So name a feature of modern life that annoys you

Ralphie

The __)(_)(&&^%$# 2019 CRV is always locked when in the garage or driveway, so I have to fish the key oot and have it with me to do the most piddling of things with it, like get something oot of it or vacuum it.  I 'spose a small offset is it is nice to not have to pull the key oot of my pocket to unlock it or start it, but on balance it might still be a net negative.  Now auto headlights are different.  As a soon to be olde pharte that is a feature I can get behind, :)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it is also annoying that it is still set to unlock only the driver's door, not all four like in my Civic, so I have to use the inside button to unlock all the doors.  Hmm, maybe hitting the button twice will do that - brb!  Also, it annoys me that you can only unlock the Civic's doors aboot 5 seconds before you get there or it locks again.  Grrrr!  I guess the moral of the story is that automation can be annoying if it is snot perfectly designed or adjustable.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The doors that automatically lock when you put the car in drive used to bother me, I got used to it. 

And the inside light will stay on for just a second or two after closing the door, so that is snot enough time to plug my phone in and take my wallet oot of my pocket before it goes dark. I guess I just need to leave the door open, or be quicker with the phone and wallet!

13 hours ago, smudge said:

Kids who don't know there is a whole big world out there because they can't be bothered to look up from their goddamned phones!

...as opposed to the adults who behave the same but because they do know there is a whole big world out there :)

13 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

The __)(_)(&&^%$# 2019 CRV

In the newer cars - usually rentals - I spend a bunch of time turning off the various sound effects.  Especially when my pup is in the car, the sound are annoying and definitely drive her bonkers.  I like the safety stuff - like the yellow blind side warning in the side mirrors - but feel like those aids have led to more blindspots in cars and some AWFUL rear view mirrors that don't do a great job showing much of the world behind you.  I also like the adaptive cruise control but some cars behave a bit wonky when the car in front moves out of the way.

I hate when you can’t get a real person on the phone and then when you finally get to the part where you request a real person they tell you to hold and play commercials or loud terrible music while you wait a half hour or more for a real person to pick up. If they left it silent while you waited or played soft instrumental music when you hear someone talking you would know you had someone live.  To play a loud recorded message about all our associates are helping other customers please hold for the next available associate just fakes me out and I think I finally have someone until I realize it’s just another recorded message.

• Heart 1

As I think back 20-30 years to now, I struggle to find modern things that annoy me.  

Smart phones don’t bother me. They make my life easier & aid communications with my family. I’m getting grandson pictures & video daily from my daughter.  Better than sending me pictures via post.

Cars are safer & just better to drive.  I also listen to commercial free radio in my car! 

I had a question for my Dr post visit and we have been communicating directly via our portal which a access via smart phone.  Way better than scheduling a follow up or calling & leaving a msg.

Other than Page Turner, does anyone prefer their bikes from 30 years ago over a modern bike?  Damn integrated shifting… why can’t we have downtube shifters again!! 😂

I guess I’m not one of the get off my lawn types. I embrace modern conveniences.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

While air conditioning is great and I wouldn't do without it by choice, I don't see my neighbors like I used to a generation plus ago and kids are inside vegetating too much now.  Also, for security and other reasons, schools are usually built without being able to open windows.  In our school, I had one of the small number of classrooms that had fixed-in-place windows running the length of a long chemistry/physics classroom + lab wall.  When the teens came in the room, the first thing they did was walk to the windows and look outside.

I used the wink-wink excuse in our department that I needed a safe place to do egg-drop and gravity experiments and, without seeking official permission, dug-out the plastic and caulk sealing one of the plexiglass windows in place and partially removed it on occasion to let fresh air in.

I remember my mother following the sun around the house and closing the blinds where it was and fans worked for us.  Of course, there are more really hot days now in the summer than there used to be.

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I guess I’m not one of the get off my lawn types. I embrace modern conveniences.

I think the key - like with my annoyance with the sounds in the cars - is that you can disable or change them.  The safety aspect is nice, but the annoying extra sounds are irritating. Luckily, I can figure out how to disable or tweak most of them.  My mom, though??? She would complain for sure and have no easy time changing them.

One thing I couldn't figure out on my FiLs car in CA was how to get the rear view mirror to not do some weird auto-dimming at night.  I hate that, and it made it harder to judge the distance of cars in the rear view mirror at night.  Dopey - especially when the old school "flip" option worked well enough for decades.

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My cousin was a Mod during the 80’s and felt the same. He saw Style Counsel but not the Jam.  He was freaking pissed when they broke up.

I liked the Style Council, but it was a shock to the system at first. You listen to the Jam and then you put a Style Council album on the turntable and it's WTF?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Instant communication is a double-edged sword. 30 years ago, we were allowed 24 hours from the time we received correspondence from a client, be it mailed document or phone message, to respond. When email became a thing, we were expected to respond by the next business day. We are now at the point if they see you have read a message but not responded within minutes, they think you are rude. 

• Awesome 1

Chain restaurants and the push to scale up everything…

Read a NYT piece yesterday about shortages of ingredients at Starbucks, and they quoted a customer saying that caramel syrup is just cooked sugar as a way of implying that she should have been able to order her typical caramel coffee drink. As if Starbucks has the equipment to cook anything from scratch. Starbucks caramel syrup isn’t just cooked sugar; it’s a multi-national supply chain scaled to absurd levels of interdependence. 

31 minutes ago, groupw said:

Instant communication is a double-edged sword. 30 years ago, we were allowed 24 hours from the time we received correspondence from a client, be it mailed document or phone message, to respond. When email became a thing, we were expected to respond by the next business day. We are now at the point if they see you have read a message but not responded within minutes, they think you are rude. 

True but do you remember going on a service call only to find the situation changed and weren’t needed?

I remember coming in from the field and logging in to my computer to find 100 emails… There was a period of time, early 00’s to around 07 after email became the predominant form of communication & before smart phones where field Ops was a major PITA.  

I’d much rather pick off emails after hours than come in to a bunch of emails needing attention.

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Agreed. 

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’d much rather pick off emails after hours than come in to a bunch of emails needing attention.

Nope. Done that. It sux. You never get away from work. 

I like leaving work at the end of the day. And leaving it all there.

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Nope. Done that. It sux. You never get away from work. 

I like leaving work at the end of the day. And leaving it all there.

I think the difference is my line of work is 24/7.  There really is no off time as shit happens at all hours.  People are good about limiting after hours emails but if we have a break in or an alarm goes off Im getting a call. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think the difference is my line of work is 24/7.  There really is no off time as shit happens at all hours.  People are good about limiting after hours emails but if we have a break in or an alarm goes off Im getting a call. 

Understood. And that why there can be different shifts and rotating ‘on call’ for employees.  Also, if you know that about your career, it’s a choice you make. 

I’ve worked where I’ve had to be available 24/7.  I ‘choose’ now not to. 😉 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, road0315 said:

Another problem with modern life is too many beverage choices, and all in single-use plastic bottles. Walls and walls of chilled beverages with a boggling amount of redundancy.

We're in a golden age of food and drink, but that comes with a downside of everyone getting in the game :)

Seriously, the beer aisle or the wine aisle in a basic grocery store is lightyears better than the focused alcohol stores of yesteryear.  It is impossible to even come close to simply sampling let alone fully enjoying all the local beers a good dealer will have.  And that's just what makes it into distribution networks.  The variety of micro and craft breweries is phenomenal and each one has their go to brews, but then are always cranking out new seasonal, limited edition, or trial brews.  Makes my head spin sometimes.  Of course, my head explodes when I see someone walking out with a case of Miller or Bud, but that's another story.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

Understood. And that why there can be different shifts and rotating ‘on call’ for employees.  Also, if you know that about your career, it’s a choice you make. 

I’ve worked where I’ve had to be available 24/7.  I ‘choose’ now not to. 😉 

That’s my point tho, modern technology has made my job so much easier.  We have shifts and people to pick off routine requests after business hours but ultimately the buck stops with me.

Yeah being on call 24/7 has its drawbacks but it sucks less now than it did 25 years ago. 

• Heart 1

I had to dump my world famous doctor this week because he couldn’t use the medical practice’s online tool to order prescriptions. So as a result I ran out of many of my refills. I made about 10 attempts to contact but the only human I could reach was an IT subcontractor working on the portal help desk. Very frustrating. Even had a visit with the Dr, he said he’d take care of it, but a month later, nothing. He only practices 1 day a week, because his main job is running a Department at the medical school. So I went back to his old practice and got the refills I need. I hate taking so much medicine, but it’s kept me alive. 

• Hugs 1