So name a feature of modern life that annoys you

Ralphie

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Automatic 'security' updates that change aspects of programs that have nothing to do with security, such as resetting appearances or preferences that I've taken the time to set up or tacking useless features onto the task bar.

This...

Several days ago, MS sent out an update to Windows 10.   And then... there was some kind of weather/news app on the taskbar.  Where did that come from??  After a while, I figured out how to get it to go away.   At least when the same update hit WoBG's computer a day later, I knew what to do, to get things back to 'normal'. 

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Other than Page Turner, does anyone prefer their bikes from 30 years ago over a modern bike?  Damn integrated shifting… why can’t we have downtube shifters again!! 😂

I do like index shifting..  but I wish I didn't I give away my Schwinn Le Tour 4. 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

That’s my point tho, modern technology has made my job so much easier.  We have shifts and people to pick off routine requests after business hours but ultimately the buck stops with me.

Yeah being on call 24/7 has its drawbacks but it sucks less now than it did 25 years ago. 

Most of my professional career I’ve been a salaried employee. I’ve worked lots of hours to get projects completed. But tracking hours has never been an issue. And so I’ve mostly dictated my own schedule. With my last company, my responsibility was high and so I began taking my computer home with me to get things accomplished after hours. I was handling projects from California, to Ireland, Germany and China along with my own region. And of course the time zones made it difficult. My mornings started pretty early. I was usually the person who opened the office, often the person who closed it and then was at times on line till 1:00 am. And it seemed the more I did, the more there was to do and more was expected. I cared about the work and the company. I could have slowed down I suppose, but a lot of folks depended on me and I liked my boss and wanted us to succeed. And we did. 

However, It took its toll. Finally in April of last year in pandemic full swing, because we were in the biopharm industry and our work load (at least in the bid / preconstruction phase) only increased, I resigned.  They asked me to reconsider, gave me a couple weeks off to recoup, made offers to change things, so I stayed. 

The work load didn’t change. By September, it was over. Our company downsized and reorganized because many projects didn’t come to fruition as lock downs didn’t let up, and I was laid off with a whole group of folks. 

It was the best thing that could happen. My health had suffered. I don’t care to go back to that.  When I leave the office now, I do not bring anything home with me.  I’ve worked a few Saturdays to cover some projects. But I can tell them no. 

This works for me. 

• Heart 1