Got a flat in my car

Square Wheels

I have run flat tires.  Yesterday one of the tires was flat.  I called a local tire shop, going in today.

They said on the phone they might not be able to fix a run flat tire.

Current (original) tires have 30k on them.

I suspect they will try to sell me at least 2 run flat tires.

I am considering 4 regular tires as the run flats ride harsh.

I do not have a space, and with the top down, close to no trunk.  A spare would take up the whole trunk.

What to do, what to do...

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Just called the dealer.  Depending on wear, it might need 2 or possibly 4 tires, especially since it's all wheel drive.

Oh fuck. I knew I was apprehensive about buying a 4wd crv. Don’t tell me the first unfixable flat they are going to say buy 4 new taars. Life sucks sometimes!

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Oh fuck. I knew I was apprehensive about buying a 4wd crv. Don’t tell me the first unfixable flat they are going to say buy 4 new taars. Life sucks sometimes!

Tire shops will even tell you it’s illegal for them to sell you one new tire. I bring the flat in with my other car and tell them I want one new tire. The theory is the new tire will be bigger circumference and not make as many revolutions per mile as the worn tires. I’ve never had a problem with just replacing the ruined tire on a Honda. They invented that rule to sell more tires. Of course we only keep our cars for 200,000 miles, if you are going to drive it for more mileage it may make a difference.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

At the shop now.  If it's a simple nail, they already charged me 7.95.  I suspect if it needs to be replaced, it will be a wee bit more. 

Discount Tire fixes flats for free.  I buy the tire coverage from them.  They replaced a tire for Martha yesterday

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Discount Tire fixes flats for free.  I buy the tire coverage from them.  They replaced a tire for Martha yesterday

On Jsharr's advice, I bought a set of tires from Discount Tire a couple years ago.  I was very pleased with their work and the prices. 

Much thanks, Jsharr.  :) 

• Haha 1

My Toyota van has run flat tires. The FWD version has a spare, the AWD, run flats. The space that they store the spare in the FWD is used for something else in the AWD. 

When these tires wear out I'll buy normal tires, and put a spare tire in the back. It's a van, there's lots of room...

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Further said:

My Toyota van has run flat tires. The FWD version has a spare, the AWD, run flats. The space that they store the spare in the FWD is used for something else in the AWD. 

When these tires wear out I'll buy normal tires, and put a spare tire in the back. It's a van, there's lots of room...

In my Dodge van the spare was under the floor pulled up into place by a cable with a crank under the carpet.  It was very difficult to check to be sure the spare would have air when you needed it.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In my Dodge van the spare was under the floor pulled up into place by a cable with a crank under the carpet.  It was very difficult to check to be sure the spare would have air when you needed it.

In my car, the spare mini tire is stored in a trunk like space, valve stem down. :wacko: If I need it, I'll inflate the tire with the 12v mini compressor I keep in the car.

20 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have run flat tires.  Yesterday one of the tires was flat.  I called a local tire shop, going in today.

They said on the phone they might not be able to fix a run flat tire.

Current (original) tires have 30k on them.

I suspect they will try to sell me at least 2 run flat tires.

I am considering 4 regular tires as the run flats ride harsh.

I do not have a space, and with the top down, close to no trunk.  A spare would take up the whole trunk.

What to do, what to do...

Get a car with a trunk or lots of cargo space. Even my Honda Fit has a full-size spare with tire-change tools hidden in a compartment under its 57.3 cu.ft. of cargo space.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I have no idea what the spare situation is with the new crv. The old van had that under the floor mini one and I would pull it out to check the air every year or so, but carrying a 12v mini compressor is a great idea. And having AAA is an even better idea. 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, Philander Seabury said:

My Subaru (and of course all of the other Subarus too) have a 'requirement' for tire circumference.  The difference can't bee more than 1/4 of an inch.   Yeah that's not much.  

One tire dealer told me they could 'shave the tire" to match tread depth.  So I'd only need to buy one tire and they shave it to match the tread depth of the others. 

If I ever do get a flat tire, then the fun begins.  The 2 front tires NEED to be the same size, meaning if you get a flat in the front, you get to move a good tire from the rear to the front.  Then you install the donut spare tire on the rear.  And last but not least, you get to pull a fuse to disable the AWD system and the car is now FWD.  The spare always need to be on the rear, and you always need to pull the fuse.

I wonder how many people who own a Subaru never read the owners manual?  

• When replacing a tire, make sure you use only the same size, construction, brand, and load range as the original tires listed on the tire placard. Using other sizes, circumference or construction may result in severe mechanical damage to the drive train of your vehicle and may affect ride, handling, braking, speedometer/odometer calibration, and clearance between the body and tires. It also may be dangerous and lead to loss of vehicle control.

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My Subaru (and of course all of the other Subarus too) have a 'requirement' for tire circumference.  The difference can't bee more than 1/4 of an inch.   Yeah that's not much.  

One tire dealer told me they could 'shave the tire" to match tread depth.  So I'd only need to buy one tire and they shave it to match the tread depth of the others. 

If I ever do get a flat tire, then the fun begins.  The 2 front tires NEED to be the same size, meaning if you get a flat in the front, you get to move a good tire from the rear to the front.  Then you install the donut spare tire on the rear.  And last but not least, you get to pull a fuse to disable the AWD system and the car is now FWD.  The spare always need to be on the rear, and you always need to pull the fuse.

I wonder how many people who own a Subaru never read the owners manual?  

They need to outlaw donut spares and go back to full size spares with every car. Donut spares are bullshit.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They need to outlaw donut spares and go back to full size spares with every car. Donut spares are bullshit.

I agree... but the car manufactures don't.   They are looking to maximize MPG ratings. No spare tire, saves weight.  Donut tires save some weight.   The last car I had that had a full size spare was my 99 Land Rover. 

Lots of new cars don't have spare tires and they have regular tires.  You get a can of something like 'fix a flat' and hope it works.  :(

Run flats would be on my car if I didn't have a spare. 

My wife wanted me to go with her when she signed the papers on a new Honda Accord. I hate dealing with car salesmen, she had already agreed on the price so the only thing I did was make them throw in a full size spare. He said I could keep the donut. I told him he can keep the donut, they are a PITA.

38 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife wanted me to go with her when she signed the papers on a new Honda Accord. I hate dealing with car salesmen, she had already agreed on the price so the only thing I did was make them throw in a full size spare. He said I could keep the donut. I told him he can keep the donut, they are a PITA.

Wow!  You are really an anti-donite!