My Wife Doesn't Like The N00b! :(

Razors Edge

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

IPA? I'll pass

A hazy IPA.  I used to really dislike IPAs, but in the past several years, I think the term is sort of BS relative to IPAs of the past.  With all the hazy or juicy or other IPAs out there now, not really even sure where the line gets drawn.  Probably some of the home brewers here have a better idea.

Regardless, it was a tasty and drinkable, and I would definitely grab a four/sixpack if I saw it in the grocery store.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A hazy IPA.  I used to really dislike IPAs, but in the past several years, I think the term is sort of BS relative to IPAs of the past.  With all the hazy or juicy or other IPAs out there now, not really even sure where the line gets drawn.  Probably some of the home brewers here have a better idea.

Regardless, it was a tasty and drinkable, and I would definitely grab a four/sixpack if I saw it in the grocery store.

I don't like beer that taste like grapefruit juice :D

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't like beer that taste like grapefruit juice :D

Which reminds me - radler season is almost here!

The term Radler originates with a drink called Radlermass (literally “cyclist liter”) that was originally created by Innkeeper Franz Kugler in a small town named Deisenhofen, just outside Munich. During the great cycling boom of the Roaring Twenties, Kugler created a bicycle trail from Munich, through the woods, which led directly to his drinking establishment. On a beautiful June day in 1922, a reported “13,000 cyclists” crashed Kugler’s party. Fast running out of beer, he blended it 50/50 with a lemon soda he could never seem to get rid of, and the rest is history.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You're ability to find the ass-taste in most things always amazes me.  How much ass have you tasted, and WHY do you keep tasting it???? NTTIAWWT!

IPA actually taste like coppery grapefruity ass juice to me.  Everybody else seem to be stuck in British imperial times in regards to beer choices.

20 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

IPA actually taste like coppery grapefruity ass juice to me.  Everybody else seem to be stuck in British imperial times in regards to beer choices.

Like I wrote, I think the IPA of years past is far different from the IPAs of today.  Not being a brewer, I don't know why, but in the past, I very much disliked IPAs.  Now, if I sample a dozen different IPAs from smaller brewers, I find about half or more are "buy again" in quality & taste, a few are "okay enough but not getting more", and one or two are the "old" I don't like this RG-described ass taste one bit.

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Like I wrote, I think the IPA of years past is far different from the IPAs of today.  Not being a brewer, I don't know why, but in the past, I very much disliked IPAs.  Now, if I sample a dozen different IPAs from smaller brewers, I find about half or more are "buy again" in quality & taste, a few are "okay enough but not getting more", and one or two are the "old" I don't like this RG-described ass taste one bit.

It is a preference for me, but I find the IPA brewers association is just in love with substituting hops for actual know-how and brewing skill and balance.  "More hops, more hops" they said in unison, "we need something to make it seem like it is not Budweiser".

I just don't like IPAs, you see.  Not everything can be a zima, sadly.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I find the IPA brewers association is just in love with substituting hops for actual know-how and brewing skill and balance.  "More hops, more hops" they said in unison, "we need something to make it seem like it is not Budweiser".

I have to side with the noob here, the Hazy IPAs have a lot more taste than just loaded with hops. I understand your aversion to IPAs if you haven’t had any in several years, but times have changed.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have to side with the noob here, the Hazy IPAs have a lot more taste than just loaded with hops. I understand your aversion to IPAs if you haven’t had any in several years, but times have changed.

This is indeed painful to admit that the n00b has a point, but  I agree that IPAs have been declawed compared to those of years ago. They used to taste like pine sol or turpentine but now are much more palatable. 

I used to avoid IPAs. Too many were hops for hops’ sake. The last couple years, some brewers are using different hops and flavors that give a little bite yet  are more palatable. I really like the hazy IPAs. 
There is a hops used by some brewers in the region I just can’t drink. It gives me that “soapy” taste some say they get from cilantro. There were a couple times the beer was so good otherwise, I tried to drink through it. 

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Every now and then someone will buy me a beer or just have only an IPA handy, so occasionally I will be forced.   I force some of it down to be polite if there are no options, and just stop there.  I wish I could tolerate it better, but sometimes it seems like IPAs make up at least half the offerings out there, sometimes 2/3 or more of a menu!  

13 hours ago, groupw said:

I used to avoid IPAs. Too many were hops for hops’ sake. The last couple years, some brewers are using different hops and flavors that give a little bite yet  are more palatable. I really like the hazy IPAs. 
There is a hops used by some brewers in the region I just can’t drink. It gives me that “soapy” taste some say they get from cilantro. There were a couple times the beer was so good otherwise, I tried to drink through it. 

I still think pretty much all IPAs are hops for hops sake, and they do have that cilantro soapy ass taste, now that you mention it, and a lot of it.  Coppery, rancid grapefruity, soapy, poured into a glass through a bag lady's butt crack taste is the best description I can come up with.  You are a brave man for taking that on and persevering!

I wish I could like them, it isn't as if I didn't try a bunch of them.  I guess this just means there is more for the folks that do like them, so maybe a win for everybody else?

13 hours ago, groupw said:

I think a lot of it comes down to that IBU rating.  I tend to like them on the lower half of the scale, and, at 60 IBU, this N00b was right about the middle.  I'm sure it is a balancing act beyond just the IBU value, but it seems like IBU does at least give me a guesstimate I can use.  Seem the Imperial IPAs are what I would avoid, while the American IPAs come in right at my top end.  It is nice that most beers fall lower on the chart, so more to enjoy :D

Average_IBU_Bitterness_By_Beer_Style.jpg

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I still think pretty much all IPAs are hops for hops sake,

Note my chart - Imperial IPA, American IPA, English IPA, and then even just PAs! 

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Every now and then someone will buy me a beer or just have only an IPA handy, so occasionally I will be forced. 

You need friends with better taste in beer!  I won't offer a beer I haven't tried, and when I offer a beer, I offer options so that, if I have five or six different beers in the fridge, I can try to match their tastes.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think a lot of it comes down to that IBU rating.  I tend to like them on the lower half of the scale, and, at 60 IBU, this N00b was right about the middle.  I'm sure it is a balancing act beyond just the IBU value, but it seems like IBU does at least give me a guesstimate I can use.  Seem the Imperial IPAs are what I would avoid, while the American IPAs come in right at my top end.  It is nice that most beers fall lower on the chart, so more to enjoy :D

Average_IBU_Bitterness_By_Beer_Style.jpg

This is a good chart!  Based on this, I can go up to about 40 before I get put off by the bitter content.  it is helpful to see that graphically, for sure.

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Where does Coors Light, Shiner Bock and Corona fit into this discussion, asks the whimpy Texans who only drinks American lagers but keeps Shiner Bock for people that like beer that tastes like ass?

I like Shiner Bock, that feels right on hot days in TX.  Kind of a smooth lawn-mowing beer without the lawn mower.  I figured you would like it for sure!

10 minutes ago, denniS said:

I've got a dry hopped IPA fermenting now. Hopefully, I can find time to bottle it this week.

What are you aiming for when you are making a beer - like this "dry hopped" IPA?  Does that add to the bitterness? Tame it?  Add some other dimension? 

I really rely on 1) label description, 2) store reviews (if they have any), 3) web reviews, and 4) general guesswork to pick a beer.  Generally, I - first and foremost - aim for a local small brewer (in the state, but in the county or local counties) and second, recommendations from friends and folks here (if it is available where I am).

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is a good chart!  Based on this, I can go up to about 40 before I get put off by the bitter content.  it is helpful to see that graphically, for sure.

Not all, but many "craft" beers put IBU on the can in addition to ABV.  Otherwise, you can check the web and see.  It is helpful for sure especially when going for a nice easy drinking beer.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

My first choice is generally a Scottish Ale, but I have broadened my range over the years. 

• Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What are you aiming for when you are making a beer - like this "dry hopped" IPA?  Does that add to the bitterness? Tame it?  Add some other dimension? 

I really rely on 1) label description, 2) store reviews (if they have any), 3) web reviews, and 4) general guesswork to pick a beer.  Generally, I - first and foremost - aim for a local small brewer (in the state, but in the county or local counties) and second, recommendations from friends and folks here (if it is available where I am).

Not all, but many "craft" beers put IBU on the can in addition to ABV.  Otherwise, you can check the web and see.  It is helpful for sure especially when going for a nice easy drinking beer.

I buy recipe kits, so all of the ingredients are there and you follow the recipe. It is the lazy person guide to making beer. Kind of like Blue Apron or any meal kit.

This one has extra hops that you add in the secondary fermentation instead during the wort boil. The hops are dry. It should add some extra hop aroma and flavor. 

I've brewed pale ale, winter ale, IPA, amber ale, and red ale so far. I have a stout to brew too. The Scottish winter ale has been my favorite so far. It is very malty.

You might enjoy this. It is available on kanopy.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/everyday-guide-to-beer

13 minutes ago, denniS said:

I buy recipe kits, so all of the ingredients are there and you follow the recipe. It is the lazy person guide to making beer. Kind of like Blue Apron or any meal kit.

This one has extra hops that you add in the secondary fermentation instead during the wort boil. The hops are dry. It should add some extra hop aroma and flavor. 

I've brewed pale ale, winter ale, IPA, amber ale, and red ale so far. I have a stout to brew too. The Scottish winter ale has been my favorite so far. It is very malty.

You might enjoy this. It is available on kanopy.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/everyday-guide-to-beer

Cool!  I think @Old No. 7 did the secondary hops a while back.

One of these days I will watch those darn Great Courses you keep recommending.

Since I was quoted I will chime in. Hops are used in beer to offset or balance out the sweet taste of the malted barley. Hop bittering, and the final IBU scores comes from alpha acid levels in the hop varieties. Columbus, Northern Brewer are two examples of hop varieties with high alpha acid ratings, primarily used for bitter flavors. Time used in the wort boil also affects the IBU rate. 60 minutes or more add bitterness. 15 minutes of boil add flavor and hops added at flameout are for aroma. Dry hopping or adding hops after fermentation is complete boosts the hop aroma. We taste through our noses so this adds more hop flavor though the olfactory receptors.  I won’t go on but Imperial IPA or IIPA is a misnomer. They just have more hops and malt to boost alcohol and bitterness at the same time. The beers that I prefer are at the higher end of the IBU spectrum. I have put whole hops between my cheek and gum like chewing tobacco and liked it. 

• Awesome 1