REI Membership

Airehead

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

$20 for a lifetime of small refunds on overpriced items!  I have earned my $20 back though, so there is that.

???

What's overpriced?  Want a Garmin computer or watch, it will be regularly priced at REI. Wait awhile, and it will be on sale at REI.  You membership is more than paid for.  Same with all sorts of stuff - tents, clothing, bike gear, boots/shoes, etc..  Add in REI's return policy, and REI regularly wins the "shop around" showdown.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

???

What's overpriced?  Want a Garmin computer or watch, it will be regularly priced at REI. Wait awhile, and it will be on sale at REI.  You membership is more than paid for.  Same with all sorts of stuff - tents, clothing, bike gear, boots/shoes, etc..  Add in REI's return policy, and REI regularly wins the "shop around" showdown.

*10% member dividend is typical but not guaranteed. Your member dividend is based on eligible net purchases, which exclude REI Outlet items, sale and clearance items, discounted items, gift cards, REI adventures travel, REI  classes or day trips, service fees (e.g., rentals, labor), membership fee, postage, event tickets, passes or registrations, government agencies and sales tax. 

Starting Tuesday, REI will try to discourage customers from “renting” equipment for as long as they like by ending its policy of no time limits on returns. Customers will be allowed to take back store items for one year after purchase. The deadline for returning outlet merchandise bought on REI.com will be 30 days.Jun 3, 2013

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

???

Lemmings #Push #Cliff GIF by daveydoodlebug - Find & Share on GIPHY

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

$20 for a lifetime of small refunds on overpriced items!  I have earned my $20 back though, so there is that.

It has definitely paid for itself.  I was just cleaning out my wallet and wanted to make sure I should keep it.

40 minutes ago, denniS said:

*10% member dividend is typical but not guaranteed. Your member dividend is based on eligible net purchases, which exclude REI Outlet items, sale and clearance items, discounted items, gift cards, REI adventures travel, REI  classes or day trips, service fees (e.g., rentals, labor), membership fee, postage, event tickets, passes or registrations, government agencies and sales tax. 

Starting Tuesday, REI will try to discourage customers from “renting” equipment for as long as they like by ending its policy of no time limits on returns. Customers will be allowed to take back store items for one year after purchase. The deadline for returning outlet merchandise bought on REI.com will be 30 days.Jun 3, 2013

Exactly.  Can you find a BETTER combination of dividend and return policy? I can't.  Costco is pretty darn friendly, but a membership there is ANNUAL and more than the REI LIFETIME. 

REI membership = No brainer.  Checking REI on-line or locally with any outdoor purchase also is a no brainer.

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

It has definitely paid for itself.  I was just cleaning out my wallet and wanted to make sure I should keep it.

I lost my card 20 years ago.  You're in their system, and no card required.  I did get them to tell me my memb # a while back, and wrote it down (and now just have it in my phone). 

Just now, sheep_herder said:

I would not have a clue, as we decided to not be members when they supported the wolf introduction, as did Baskin Robbins. My bias and maybe my loss.

You risk being called an SJW or a cancel culture ally!!!! :frantics:  Stand firm in your position. 

40 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

They used to have a good return policy, now it isn't the best.  It is ok, though, but not like it used to be.

My feeling is that one year is a long enough time to make a decision on a product.  Is there a defect in the item? Say a Wahoo flywheel goes bad, is that an REI "return" or a Wahoo customer service concern.  If the zipper on your Patagonia rain shell goes bad after two years of wear and tear, is that an REI "return" issue or is it a Patagonia customer service concern?

I think REI does a good job picking their products, and they also go a great job giving you a YEAR to decide if the shirt you bought is too small or the kayak you purchased is not what you want.   If you are still undecided 11 months in, RETURN the item. Rebuy it and restart your waffling!

But seriously, what scenario are you folks using for needing more than 365 days of using something to decide to return it????  Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My feeling is that one year is a long enough time to make a decision on a product.  Is there a defect in the item? Say a Wahoo flywheel goes bad, is that an REI "return" or a Wahoo customer service concern.  If the zipper on your Patagonia rain shell goes bad after two years of wear and tear, is that an REI "return" issue or is it a Patagonia customer service concern?

I think REI does a good job picking their products, and they also go a great job giving you a YEAR to decide if the shirt you bought is too small or the kayak you purchased is not what you want.   If you are still undecided 11 months in, RETURN the item. Rebuy it and restart your waffling!

But seriously, what scenario are you folks using for needing more than 365 days of using something to decide to return it????  Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.

WRONG!  At least partially wrong.  Soon after the policy change, I bought an early version of a USB rechargeable headlamp.  I used it a couple of times, then didn't camp for another 9-10 months, and it wouldn't work and wouldn't take a charge.  I think a return would have been in order, but it was outside the year limit.  "Sorry asshole" , they said, clearly mistaking me for RE, "looks like you are out of luck" they said, turning their heads to spit a misplaced stream of tobacco juice toward a stained spittoon in the corner.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  At least partially wrong.  Soon after the policy change, I bought an early version of a USB rechargeable headlamp.  I used it a couple of times, then didn't camp for another 9-10 months, and it wouldn't work and wouldn't take a charge.  I think a return would have been in order, but it was outside the year limit.  "Sorry asshole" , they said, clearly mistaking me for RE, "looks like you are out of luck" they said, turning their heads to spit a misplaced stream of tobacco juice toward a stained spittoon in the corner.

REI branded headlamp?  Or someone like Petzl?

I had a problem with my Fly6 tailight.  I dealt with Cycliq directly to resolve, not REI.  It seems that is the case with any branded thing I would buy there except the REI branded ones.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

REI branded headlamp?  Or someone like Petzl?

I had a problem with my Fly6 tailight.  I dealt with Cycliq directly to resolve, not REI.  It seems that is the case with any branded thing I would buy there except the REI branded ones.

Petzl or BD, not sure now.  I tossed it, but it sounds like I should have tried the manufacturer, although the warranty was probably a year anyway.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Petzl or BD, not sure now.  I tossed it, but it sounds like I should have tried the manufacturer, although the warranty was probably a year anyway.

If your bike - a Trek? - developed an issue with the frame, fork, or similar, would you expect the LBS to accept the bike back after a year of riding? Or would you expect them to look at it, tell you if it is a Trek issue and to help you warranty it? Or would you even just contact Trek yourself?  If Trek refused to warranty an obvious manufacturing issue, would you blame your LBS or Trek? 

I don't know.  I just feel like one year is way more than enough time to shift the responsibility from the store (REI) to the buyer & the manufacturer.  It makes no sense to me to think REI or Costco or Nordstroms should suck it up forever for a product they sold in good faith.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If your bike - a Trek? - developed an issue with

That is different entirely, a headlamp is not a bike and you cannot ride it, no matter what tires you get.  Anyway, Nordos and REI should negotiate a deal with manufacturers to account for defects.  I am not sure why Costco has such a good policy for all products.  

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is different entirely, a headlamp is not a bike and you cannot ride it, no matter what tires you get.  Anyway, Nordos and REI should negotiate a deal with manufacturers to account for defects.  I am not sure why Costco has such a good policy for all products.  

FTR, REI should consider rewording their policy to align with LL Bean:

If you are not 100% satisfied with one of our products purchased directly from L.L.Bean’s website, stores or catalog, you may return it within one year of purchase for a refund. (Please note that products purchased before February 9, 2018, are not subject to this one-year time limit.) After one year, we will consider any items for return that are defective due to materials or craftsmanship.

We require proof of purchase to honor a refund or exchange. If you provide us your information when you check out, we will typically have a record of your purchase. Otherwise, we require a physical receipt.

Nordstrom remains the gold standard, but even they pepper it with loopholes:

We handle returns on a case-by-case basis with the ultimate goal of making our customers happy. We stand behind our goods and services, and want customers to be satisfied with them. We'll always do our best to take care of customers—our philosophy is to deal with them fairly and reasonably. We have long believed that when we treat our customers fairly, they in turn are fair with us.

Do you take everything back?
We'll do our best to take care of you, but from time to time we cannot accommodate a return.

Is there a time limit? What if the item is worn?
We will do our best to take care of customers and deal with them fairly; we ask that our customers treat us fairly as well. From time to time we may not accept a return. There are no time limits for returns or exchanges.