Am I weird or sorta kinda normal?

Zephyr

I am relatively new to the road bike world.., where up until this summer I did all my rides on my commuter bike.

I have always ridden solo and when I head out for a 80-100km (50-60 miles) ride the normal practice is head down, hammer away for 3-3 1/2 hours until I am back. This weekend I took only two water bottles where normally I carry four so I don't have to stop, so when I got to the halfway I stopped at a little store, bought some water and a Snickers bar, sat under a tree and topped up my bottle then sat there drinking the remaining water and taking in the sights. It was kinda nice but I sort of felt like I was cheating by resting.

Then I see beautiful pics from rides posted here, and I was thinking I have never stopped for a picture. So I have several questions..

Am I missing the true joy of riding?
Am I normal or the odd one?
Am I actually allowed to ask cycling questions in the Cafe?
Where do babies come from?
Why does it hurt when I pee?

I don't think so, riding hard is one of the joys.

Yes.

Am I actually allowed to ask cycling questions in the Cafe?

Sadly, yes.  There are many other sections, but people hardly use them.

Where do babies come from?

UPS?  Amazon?

Why does it hurt when I pee?

Ask jsharr.

I ride because I want to get myself into shape, but I also ride because I think it's the best way to get out and see the world.  You don't see it in a car like you can from a bike, and you can't cover enough ground on foot.  (well, I can't)

If I stop to catch my breath, wait for the light to change, or take a picture, it just means I can ride a little harder when I resume.  It doesn't take long to pull out the phone and take a snapshot or two (I'm not "composing a scene").

On rides of about 30 miles or more I need to stop for water at some point.  I enjoy those breaks (though yesterday I'm not sure how happy the cashier at Rite Aid was to accept my sweaty $5.)

• Heart 1

1. Am I missing the true joy of riding?
2. Am I normal or the odd one?
3. Am I actually allowed to ask cycling questions in the Cafe?

1. You may not be missing the true joy of riding, but I suggest you are missing one of them.

2. Oh for goodness sake! :rolleyes:  You signed up for this place and agreed to the terms of use, didn't you?  After you've participated for some time you will realize that I am the only normal person here.

3. You are, indeed, actually allowed to ask cycling questions in the Cafe.  Do not hold any expectations of receiving a truly helpful or enlightening answer in return for your efforts.

• Heart 2

I have always ridden solo and when I head out for a 80-100km (50-60 miles) ride the normal practice is head down, hammer away for 3-3 1/2 hours until I am back. This weekend I took only two water bottles where normally I carry four so I don't have to stop, so when I got to the halfway I stopped at a little store, bought some water and a Snickers bar, sat under a tree and topped up my bottle then sat there drinking the remaining water and taking in the sights. It was kinda nice but I sort of felt like I was cheating by resting.

Then I see beautiful pics from rides posted here, and I was thinking I have never stopped for a picture. So I have several questions..

If you were to ask everyone on this forum how and why they ride, you'd get slightly different answers from all of us. You'd encounter everything from extremely competitive or performance-based cyclists to commuters to casual recreational riders who believe a coffee or an ice cream at the half-way point is the best part of the ride. You'd encounter those who believe a bike ride is a sacred, spiritual experience and those who believe rides are for training and fitness.

There is no one right way to ride. There is no one way to experience the true joy of riding. Do what works for you, but feel free to change it up from time to time.

• Heart 1