These Are Our Favorite Cheap Beers

dinneR

https://www.outsideonline.com/2424588/best-cheap-beers-taste-test

The one constant to a good après tailgate, backyard BBQ, or summit celebration? Beer. While you may have a go-to brew to mark these occasions, here at Outside, we posed a very scientific question: Which one is the best? To answer this, we diligently blind-tested eight “cheap” beers—nothing over $10 for a six-pack—both straight out of the fridge and at room temperature (to simulate an after-hike beer that warms up in your pack). These five stood out.  

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Rolling Rock was a barracks favorite back in the day.  It wasn’t readily available in VA/on base but several guys were from PA and we would give them money to bring some back when they went home to visit.

I bought a six pack last night. It is cheaper than Rainier for the tall cans. It will be tonight's post ride beverage.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Rolling Rock was a barracks favorite back in the day.  It wasn’t readily available in VA/on base but several guys were from PA and we would give them money to bring some back when they went home to visit.

The article was interesting in that I like Rolling Rock ice-cold, but can't drink it if it is even a little warm.

Ice cold beer in summer?  Yes, please!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The article was interesting in that I like Rolling Rock ice-cold, but can't drink it if it is even a little warm.

Ice cold beer in summer?  Yes, please!

I should invest in a cooler. I do not own one. We will ride tonight for a couple of hours while the beer gets warm. I could hide it in the creek and hope a moose doesn't steal it. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, denniS said:

I should invest in a cooler. I do not own one. We will ride tonight for a couple of hours while the beer gets warm. I could hide it in the creek and hope a moose doesn't steal it. 

Has that ever happened?

I used to camp a lot in Salida, CO at this one particular area with a beaver pond.  No ice needed there, that beer was so cold!  A beer went missing one time, but we figured a knowledgeable beaver took it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Has that ever happened?

I used to camp a lot in Salida, CO at this one particular area with a beaver pond.  No ice needed there, that beer was so cold!  A beer went missing one time, but we figured a knowledgeable beaver took it.

There was an angry beaver in Crater Lake(which is really just a small pond) that I wouldn't put it past.

GF and I hiked up to Amphitheater Lake. I had beers in my pack and dropped them into a stream without her seeing. We sat down to eat and a few minutes later I pulled two ice cold beers out of the stream. 

#winning

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, denniS said:

It's Rolling Rock.  If a Moose steals it, it's only going to drink it and pee it out right there and probably only improve the flavor for you

Years ago I decided to limit my beer drinking to two beers a day. I just felt it wasn’t doing my health any favors. During my taking care of my wife I cut that down to one beer or less. About a month ago I quit entirely. I still have beer in the downstairs fridge. I told my brother he could have it.

My real cheap go to beer was Classic Ice, my regular priced go to beer was Yuengling either lager or Black and Tan. My actual beer that I would drink all the time if it wasn’t for the price was imperial stouts, porters, imperial IPAs, Guinness, I probably won’t go back to drinking. I haven’t discussed this with any of my doctors, I just felt this was the right decision.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I drank Rolling Rock on tap in PA.  Was stationed at camp lejeune and traveled up there for a long weekend with a friend.  Beers were stupid cheap at this local bar.  You bough little cups and sat them in front of you.  Like 20 beers at a time.  They were tiny little beers like 8 oz or so?  When the Flyers were playing it was half off.  Lay a 20 on the bar and drink all day.  When people came in you could buy them a beer by handing them one of your little cups.  Being the new guy and military people just kept stacking cups on top of my cup stack.  It must have been 2ft high at one point.  

Good memory.  Great day, good people.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If they keep the taps clean. Funky taps ruin the taste of beer.

I have been lucky enough to never notice that if it ever happened to me.  Around here we once had a lawsuit from a cleaning company that left lye or some such chemical in the  lines and it injured a person who drank it.

Speaking of draft beer, I could never figure out there was a beer I think it was Miller’s that bottled a beer called Genuine Draft. Guys would sit at a bar and drink bottles of Genuine Draft when the bar had Miller’s on tap right in front of them. What’s up with that?

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Speaking of draft beer, I could never figure out there was a beer I think it was Miller’s that bottled a beer called Genuine Draft. Guys would sit at a bar and drink bottles of Genuine Draft when the bar had Miller’s on tap right in front of them. What’s up with that?

I also have been waiting years for the explanation of that. :D

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I remember our favorite cheap beer was Micky’s Big Mouth.  We used to have Micky’s parties in the barracks pretty often.  

Anymore my go to is Modelo Negra but I’m currently working on a 6 pack of Blue Moon.  I generally don’t buy spendy beer but can’t really stomach most common domestic beer. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

There is a REALLY cheap beer called Lion’s Head. Tried that once. Big mistake!

Hmmm, had to look it up. It is a pretty old brewery in Wilkes-Barre, PA.  Historic or not, it really sucks!  It has had many ownership changes. Man, it sucks!

Yeah, I’ve seen that for sale, never considered buying it. It looks rough.

In college our go-to was National Bohemian. “Oh boy what a beer!” $2.35 a six pack in the early 1990s. But the craft brewing scene was just taking off, so Baltimore Brewing Company had just launched, with the brewer having left Grolsh in the Netherlands. Some good beer there.