I suck at Ebay it would seem

goldendesign

Trying to source a 9sp set of shifters for the bike has been a trial. The bike rolls with ST-5510 (105s) and 105(f) and Ultegra(R) derailleurs. Finding a compatible 2x9 brifter set has been a challenge.

I was hoping the internets favorite China brand, MicroNew, would work since their about $150 for a new set with similar performance and smoothness in shifting as a modern era Sora-3000 but that seems to be crushed as all shop techs I've spoken with say the MicroNew acts like the Sora-3000 because it is a clone and that 9spd groupset is a different breed than the old generation 9spd. ie: a no go.

I've bid on:

• 105s $220 and lost out at $250
  • Ultegra (st-6510) went for $200, I really really should have upped my bid
  • Dura Ace ST-7700, starting bid was $79, no returns, claimed it shifted fine, looked brand new but winning auctions show those going for over $300 for the pair. I was hesitant to throw too much money and lost at $110

There is a glut of very pretty sets being sold overseas in Italy, Germany and the UK but not sure I should go that route. 

Good thing is I can wait, not going riding anytime soon. There is a claim the 10spd generation will work with the 9spd using Shimano's "Alternate" routing configuration but there is still internet talk about this not being ideal. Course at this point; I may have to take a bit of wonky shifting.

• Sad 2

Just now, goldendesign said:

Good thing is I can wait, not going riding anytime soon. There is a claim the 10spd generation will work with the 9spd using Shimano's "Alternate" routing configuration but there is still internet talk about this not being ideal. Course at this point; I may have to take a bit of wonky shifting.

That's the general problem with the darn internet - many opinions about the same thing that have mixed results.  My feeling is a good LBS would likely know what needs to be done, but when I look it over on the web, I see all sorts of differing answers.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I believe that Sora 3000 is standard 9 speed compatible and as technology flows down hill they are probably at least Tiagra quality perhaps even 105.

There are plenty of forums where this is an argument. 
I have now called three different LBS's, two where I know they are extremely competent and I;ve done work with, and they confirm that the pull ratio is very very close and they put the "equivalent" level at a 105 of my generation. Now to add that to my Ebay web scrape 

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

There are plenty of forums where this is an argument. 
I have now called three different LBS's, two where I know they are extremely competent and I;ve done work with, and they confirm that the pull ratio is very very close and they put the "equivalent" level at a 105 of my generation. Now to add that to my Ebay web scrape 

If you look at your chart, there is only one Shimano 9 speed line.  That seems to be a clue.  You can find then new in many stores but they tend to sell as single levers right or left and the regular price seems to be $129 per.  I believe you can do better with sales or coupons 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Do none of the mail order shops have the real shifter you need

I have a 15 year old drivetrain. Originally I was going to match vintage but this is proving unpossible. 

Online, before the handy dandy chart and some more research, said the newer 9spds were incompatible. This is wrong it seems.

1 hour ago, denniS said:

Compatible with Shimano 9 speed road derailleurs

I like Microshift and will probably buy though their about $150 for the pair from what I can see. Can't seem to find a pair in stock.

I can find the Aliexpress knockoffs for $50 a pair. 

Sora S3000 9spds are about $150 for the pair.

3 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Trying to source a 9sp set of shifters for the bike has been a trial. The bike rolls with ST-5510 (105s) and 105(f) and Ultegra(R) derailleurs. Finding a compatible 2x9 brifter set has been a challenge.

I was hoping the internets favorite China brand, MicroNew, would work since their about $150 for a new set with similar performance and smoothness in shifting as a modern era Sora-3000 but that seems to be crushed as all shop techs I've spoken with say the MicroNew acts like the Sora-3000 because it is a clone and that 9spd groupset is a different breed than the old generation 9spd. ie: a no go.

I've bid on:

• 105s $220 and lost out at $250
  • Ultegra (st-6510) went for $200, I really really should have upped my bid
  • Dura Ace ST-7700, starting bid was $79, no returns, claimed it shifted fine, looked brand new but winning auctions show those going for over $300 for the pair. I was hesitant to throw too much money and lost at $110

There is a glut of very pretty sets being sold overseas in Italy, Germany and the UK but not sure I should go that route. 

When I first started bidding on eBay, a cousin's husband - the cousin who died in Feb. of COVID - told me to wait until the last minute to bid.  He told me to figure out how much it was worth to me and make that bid or set up automatic bidding with that max. if it is something I really want.  If you bid early, it allows other bidders time to reconsider their max.