Work week hours?

Allen
Go to solution Solved by Tizeye,

Work? Oh I remember work. When I drove truck I worked insane hours, that’s one of the reasons I quit driving truck. When I started at the forge shop they had me scheduled me 12 hrs a day and 8 hours on Saturday. Sometimes they didn’t need everybody to work twelve and the guys would fight over who would get to go home after eight. I always stayed. One of the guys asked me how I could work 12 hours every day? I told him it’s like a part time job working half days.

I did a 32 hour day when I was an air ambulance pilot.  This was to move critical patients after a train wreck in Edson, Alberta to hospitals in Vancouver.  Once and done, never again.  We do work some long days though.  Up to 18 hours but only 7 days in a row at which time the laws say we need 3 days off. 

• Heart 1

For about 4 months, I held....3 jobs. And some days did work 12 hrs. in day, across 2 different employers. I was in my 20's.  It didn't bother me at the time because I was earning money after several yrs. of student penury.

When my sister did her medical internship, she did pull in often 80 hr. work weeks.  There are published articles about medical interns and dangers of exhausting them on the job. You don't want them to make errors, etc.   Yes, she looked stressed and tired. 

She normally works a 12-hr. shift for 3 consecutive days at hospital. She sleeps at the hospital.  She is also a mother of 2 children and drives a 160 km. trip between work and home. This is her life for nearly past 20 yrs. The advantage is the rest of the week is her personal life.  

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Work? Oh I remember work.

Yeah...   I remember too. 

49 minutes ago, Allen said:

How many hours can you stand to do in a day? And how long can you keep it up?

Working for an electric utility can get difficult, especially after a bad storm.   My storm duty was 12 hours on and 12 hours off.  That could be days (or worse weeks) at a time.  And my 'normal' job didn't stop.   I could be on a 10 PM to 10 AM storm shift.   I get off at 10 AM, drive 1 1/2 hours home.  Try to sleep, and the cell phone rings, for a customer problem.  Sometimes I'd turn the phone off, I just needed to sleep.  Then drive 1 1/2 hours back for the next shift.

Many more were on a 16 hour on and 8 hour off shift.   

I needed a watch with the day of the week on the display to remind me what day it was.  They all kind of seemed the same after a while. (Now I need the day on the watch.... every day seems like a Saturday)

After a few weeks...  I'd get burned out.    I can't imagine being on a 16/8 shift for weeks. 

I try to pace myself now but I’m in office 9-4 most days and picking off email on my phone pretty much from the time I get up to about 8 PM.  I’m actually monitoring fire activity near one of my building so will be checking my phone a bit longer tonight. 

For a while I held a FT night job, carried 15-18 units in college and had an infant. I also pulled many multi day missions & training with little to no rest in the army. Couldn’t do it now…

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I work 545 to 330 5 days a week, so that gets  old fast, ‘specially after you add the nearly 3 hours of commuting in. That is why I love to take occasional Wednesdays and Fridays off to help reduce the grind. 

What time do you leave for work? 3 hrs every day?

Work life balance matters.

Seven bosses ago, the boss said I'm sick of hearing about work-life balance. Work-life balance was eliminated and 13 people quit in 6 months. Boss was canned.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Just a question of curiosity?  Or some hrs. are dropping on you/someone else?

Dropping on me. Working two jobs at the moment until the crime scene company gets it together. 
At the moment it is 9-2 at one job, then 6 hours off, then 8-8 at job two. I’m off Monday morning through Wednesday evening. I’m coveting those days. This is not going to last unless my pay goes up a lot lot. 

1 hour ago, denniS said:

What time do you leave for work? 3 hrs every day?

Work life balance matters.

Seven bosses ago, the boss said I'm sick of hearing about work-life balance. Work-life balance was eliminated and 13 people quit in 6 months. Boss was canned.

430 am. The ride to work is just aboot 1:15, and usually about 1:30  home, maybe 1:45 on summer Fridays.  These hours let me take one day a month off for working an extra half hour each day.

My boss is excellent on work life balance.  His predecessor was a horrible boss so the difference was night and day  I was lucky enough to miss the previous boss by working in a different department.  She drove away lots of good people.  It was a shit show.

7:30 am - 4:00 pm. We have a choice to work slightly longer shift,  so I get every 3rd Friday off.  There's another choice to work from approx. 7:00 am -  4:30 pm (or was it 5:00 pm?) and work a 4-day wk.  I didn't choose the latter.....'cause I wanted to do cycling before it got too dark in evening.

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've got it pretty good.  I can make up my own hours, take off days whenever I want.  I do think about work all of the time, and need to be available all of the time.

I'm not aware of reporting to any manager with that type of freedom...private or public sector. We were always aware of when the manager took time off.

So you must have a generous boss.

8-5 most days with an additional 8 hrs 1 Saturday per month. Not unusual to leave a little late when trying to get a service call done and not have to go back the next day. 
State Fair is coming up. There is a lot of hurry up an wait while other groups get their end done. 12 hour days are not unusual for a month or so. 

9 hours ago, Allen said:

At the moment it is 9-2 at one job, then 6 hours off, then 8-8 at job two.

That would be difficult after a while.  Except for the 3 days off, your time will be spent working, eating, and sleeping.  That gets old quick... 

I gave up and retired after 40 years, 2 months and 12 days....  I was on a 12 hour shift (IIRC 12-12) , at 7:00 AM after one bad storm... I decided WTF... and retired.  (on line HR request)  Then I went home and told my wife.   My boss, she called me about 10 minutes after I clicked OK on the last "do you want to do this"   and she was upset...  I told her you don't get to be upset.. I get to tell my wife when I get home.   WoBG was more concerned that I didn't tell my boss first.  :huh:

11 hours ago, Allen said:

How many hours can you stand to do in a day? And how long can you keep it up?

At 70 1/2, after days of working about 5 hours, I did a 21 hour day cleaning up and moving from an apartment to a hotel suite while waiting for my house to be rebuilt.

Admittedly, it also included a lot of short breaks, but I managed to pull it off.

I would have needed several days of recovery to do it again.  The silver lining in the experience was that I learned I was physically able to do it if I needed to do it again.

I haven't unpacked most of the stuff I've moved from the hotel so moving to the house - where the cleaning staff will clean the hotel suite - is much less arduous.  Yesterday, I dug Weber BBQ rub and Liquid Smoke Hickory flavor out of a cardboard box marked "Spices" so I could pressure cook baby back ribs and they went right back in the box afterward.

In similar situation as @Square Wheels I have the freedom to work whenever and wherever is convenient. No required hours or locations. I check in once a week either in the team meeting or 1-on-1 with my director, once monthly with other dept heads to make sure we're all on track. 

That said, I am usually working from 7:30 to about 3:30 with an hour break in the middle for meal and workout. It's much more flexible than that but that's the gist of my "available hours"

That said I have worked considerably longer in my 20's working two or three jobs. One time for a jewelry store I was the manager and jeweler of I got in at 6am to finish several custom pieces being delivered, worked a full open/clos shift (10am/9pm) and then was "on set" for a commercial shoot that lasted until 7am the next day. I slept in the back room until my opening crew arrived (9am) and worked a morning shift with them (9-6) so all told 34 hours in a 36 hour space. 

After a year of 60 hour work weeks, odd and weird shift, management giving me a hard time every time I put in a vacation slip, telling me I should quit racing because my job should be my number one priority in my life.  

I quit and burned every bridge on my way out the door.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

After a year of 60 hour work weeks, odd and weird shift, management giving me a hard time every time I put in a vacation slip, telling me I should quit racing because my job should be my number one priority in my life.  

I quit and burned every bridge on my way out the door.

Having a FU button ready is nice. All of my co-workers that quit had theirs ready. Eventually something tipped them over and they pushed the button.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BWAHAHAHAHAH.  OMG - that is sooooo wrong.  Disgusting, too.  You were smart to get out as soon as possible.

It's a shame when people are unable to enjoy the job they get.  Some just do it for the money and that's a horrible way to go through life.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's a shame when people are unable to enjoy the job they get.  Some just do it for the money and that's a horrible way to go through life.

And sometimes, the "job" portion - ie the work you do - is fine, but the company, management, clients, red tape, etc. ruin it!

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And sometimes, the "job" portion - ie the work you do - is fine, but the company, management, clients, red tape, etc. ruin it!

This, so much. I love my job and my co-workers. Management is a junk show. They are pushing good people out the door and replacing them is really challenging.

• Heart 1

When I was younger, I tried to quit my job at McDonalds because I got a job at a sheet metal shop.  They talked me into staying for the closing shift.  So it was 7-3:30 punching steel then 6-11:30 flipping burgers.  One day I woke up quickly because the 12 ton press hit a few inches from my nose.  I walked over to the phone and called in the end of my culinary career.

I don't have a  job role that allows me to be flexible whenever and I suspect I'm not the only one.  I work truly as part of team and we're client-based with unpredictable needs, during business hrs.  

Though we are cross-trained, each of us also have specific areas of expertise gained from different assignments and also former jobs.. not because we want to hoard knowledge. In fact, there is endless learning opportunities that's tough to keep up because of changes in multiple software tools (and it's not MS Office) our job requires, internal related initiatives we should become aware because it affects our clients and what they ask of us.

We're also less 3 staff compared to 1 yr. ago, so there's just less people to deliver our services. We have downgraded on 1-2 service areas.

What I'm finding working from home....is there's work creep beyond normal work hrs., because my home desktop computer has become my work computer .  (I didn't want a work laptop because of bad ergonomics for me.)

I am in the office from 8:30 ish to 5:30ish 5 days a week.  I normally check in before I drive in and do 15 minutes or so of work in the AM.  I also monitor emails in the evening and responds as needed.  I probably devote at least an hour a day to scouting so I would say most work days are 10 hours plus to 50-55 hours per week every week.  

• Heart 1