Should I warn my teachers

SuzieQ
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

SuzieQ, if you have a strong relationship with your instructors and if they see you as a partner or someone who is one of them, they will be open to hearing about the advantages of the new plan. It might still take some getting used to on their part, but a solid bond of trust with your workers can do wonders.

I'm, not saying its a bad plan, I'm saying its bad timing

if you weren't going to India soon, I'd say go ahead and listen to Thad, I mean, what could go wrong with privately meeting with some of your instructors and letting it get around that you're playing favorites?

I mean New Putz is a big city right? Word doesn't get around the community in a place like that, does it?

SuzieQ, I would suggest to you that a vast majority of people will first think of how to criticize a plan and pick it apart for its supposed faults, and then not offer any suggestions on how to improve what they criticize.   Alternatively, a  far smaller group will look for the plan's merits and offer suggestions on how to secure its benefits. 

If you don't think this is so, observe carefully next time you see or hear someone float an idea or suggestion and watch the reactions.

I used to stand in the first group.  For myself I find it more difficult to do, but now I try to place myself in the second group.

In business, an important part of any plan is assessing its viability, risk, reward, and timing, all while considering current conditions.  If you only look at the positives of a plan and not the negatives, you will surely fail.  If you only look at the negatives of a plan, nothing new will ever be achieved.

In this case, the timing will present an image of an uncaring owner, hanging out in what yoga freaks consider the promised land, while the troops who make the larger business possible have to deal with uncertainty and pay cuts.   In other words, the perception will be that you are getting your nails done and having a drink while some employees suddenly have to decide whether to not pay the phone bill or the credit card bill this month.

If it were me, I might just fire the deadwood and have replacements lined up before I go on this trip, or delay the new plan for a couple of months after you get back, or implement the plan immediately and delay your sure demise in malarial yoga freaktown until things have stabilized.

RG is absolutely right. Thad's just protecting his "thread answered" status. Like I said, if you listen to him, you'll be out of business next month

playing favorites with employees never works, so those "private conversations" are stupid. Plain stupid.

You live in a small college town, too, so the goodwill of the yoga hippy community is what you are trading on.

I'm going to give you the same advice I've given every genius I ever knew: don't be an idiot

Implement this plan after the holidays or cancel going to India

and never, ever, listen to that pompous windbag when it comes to running your business unless you want to be flipping burgers and occupying Wall Street next month

SuzieQ, I would suggest to you that a vast majority of people will first think of how to criticize a plan and pick it apart for its supposed faults, and then not offer any suggestions on how to improve what they criticize.   Alternatively, a  far smaller group will look for the plan's merits and offer suggestions on how to secure its benefits. 

If you don't think this is so, observe carefully next time you see or hear someone float an idea or suggestion and watch the reactions.

I used to stand in the first group.  For myself I find it more difficult to do, but now I try to place myself in the second group.

yep 

Bovine excrement.

so you think playing favorites with yoga instructors in a small college town and going to India right after you cut everybody's pay is a good idea? what school of business did you go to?

listen, pal...I know you got an ego the size of Dallas, but all we're saying is that bad timing is bad timing

and cutting pay then going on and expensive trip is just bad timing for a small business

It seems there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. SuzieQ is preparing to implement a restructuring of the pay system. This is not a pay cut or a layoff notice. It's a change in the way the pay system works in her business. If the axe had fallen, it would be a different matter entirely, but that's not what is happening. 

The change she is proposing should not result in a huge amount of angst, nor should it bring turmoil or resentment.

It seems there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. SuzieQ is preparing to implement a restructuring of the pay system. This is not a pay cut or a layoff notice. It's a change in the way the pay system works in her business. If the axe had fallen, it would be a different matter entirely, but that's not what is happening. 

The change she is proposing should not result in a huge amount of angst, nor should it bring turmoil or resentment.

the trouble is you are being rational. Yogis aren't rational people. Nobody makes a cold, calculated decision to be a yoga teacher. They're all nutjobs to begin with. Then you throw in the part where they would have to understand business and do a little math. What they are going to hear is this: start bringing in students or you're making less money. That means they have to start doing something they are not already doing. Nobody likes that.

nobody, and I mean nobody, takes changes in how they are getting paid as great news. One axiom of the working man is that whoever is smiling at you the biggest is fucking you the hardest, so trying to rationally portray this as anything but a pay cut is going to sound like hawgwash

...but go ahead and do whatever the hell. Just post about how it goes so this can be like having front row seats for an insured disaster

Haha, every time I have been told that they pay structure is changing and that we can make more money (every time, mind you, and this should read "EVERY DAMN TIME"), we were lied to.  It is code for "we think you will stay if you work more and make less money and ownership makes more".  I have seen it 7-8 times personally, pretty common in the sales world.  Pay structure changes are 100% certain to cause angst, because some/most invariably make less money.   Everybody gets pissed off until everything is in place a while, and if those making less money are still there, there is lingering resentment and constant fomenting of dissent.  I think changing culture is better if you clear out those you don't like or aren't good, just rip the bandaid off. 

Again, you aren't in the heads of the instructors, so you should assume that they will feel and act like 100% of the people on earth act when they are told that THEIR pay structure is changing, and be all pissy and generally upset before during and after the fact.  People are people.

Really, though, this is all about the timing.  Well, at least 75% of it is, anyway.

I think what it is RG, is that when you think it through all detached and academically, you can make these high handed sort of recommendations because your bacon's not in the fire.

We're not saying its a bad plan Suzie has, its just a really bad time to try and implement it. It isn't just a laboratory where everything is in a vacuum (like Thad's head), we got real people trying to pay rent and bills as yoga teachers. Then you got the holidays looming, too, so Suzie gets back from India and what, lays this on them 6 weeks before Christmas?

She has to wait it out until after the new year, or fire everybody she's not 100% on and bust this on the rest of them and hope she doesn't get the rep in a small college town as the miserly yogi. For me, its the small college town part that worries me. I've seen a college town turn on a local business and its not pretty

Nate my studio is not in a small college town.  I live in the small college town and the studio is in a big college town  :D Marist, Vassar, CIA etc

I went to Vassar. I would have graduated, except I went out for the swimming team my third year :(

Nate, if you ever wonder how I know that you are an asshole, comments like the one I quoted are a pretty big clue.

And this is how we all know you're a douchebag

remember its the Gatorade bottles coming at you on a flat trajectory that you need to duck. Those are the full ones

Possibly when you went there it was...

Vassar College is a private, coeducational liberal arts college in the town of Poughkeepsie, New York, in the United States. Founded as a women's college in 1861 by Matthew Vassar, the school became a coeducational institution in 1969.

Wheels, this was a Marx Brothers joke from the 1930s

why don't you two smarty pantses go fact check each other