I just got an offer...

Parr8hed

22,500$ for my 2014 F 150.  This is the Ford dealer that I have it serviced at.  This is an XLT truck (middle of the road, not base not loaded).  

It has 178K miles on it.  I bought it 6 years ago with 20K miles on it for 31,000.

In my mind this truck is worth 10-12 thousand dollars.  I really like this truck and it's perfect for our softball weekends, but dang.  22k is really making it hard for me not to go sell it right away.

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

22,500$ for my 2014 F 150.  This is the Ford dealer that I have it serviced at.  This is an XLT truck (middle of the road, not base not loaded).  

It has 178K miles on it.  I bought it 6 years ago with 20K miles on it for 31,000.

In my mind this truck is worth 10-12 thousand dollars.  I really like this truck and it's perfect for our softball weekends, but dang.  22k is really making it hard for me not to go sell it right away.

what would you replace it with?  Used truck prices are up 44% from one article I read recently.  Find a replacement first.  Make sure you can afford this move.

• Awesome 3

Just now, smudge said:

I feel ya. 

I'm paying off the Colorado today. My salesman said I could probably get 27 on trade. I'm in the market.

Right?  I mean I have the f350 too.  I don't NEED two trucks.  I feel like it might be smart to take advantage.  Get something more economical to drive to work.  But we use the 150 for softball tourneys.  It is so nice to have extra room.  And I know that it's in great shape and very well maintainted.  

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

what would you replace it with?  Used truck prices are up 44% from one article I read recently.  Find a replacement first.  Make sure you can afford this move.

I don't know?  Something with far less miles and more economical?  Not sure what I would want.  But not taking on a payment.  It would have to be even trade or cash in my pocket.  I have the other truck to do truck shit with.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Right?  I mean I have the f350 too.  I don't NEED two trucks.  I feel like it might be smart to take advantage.  Get something more economical to drive to work.  But we use the 150 for softball tourneys.  It is so nice to have extra room.  And I know that it's in great shape and very well maintainted.  

Dilemma

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I guess the question is.... do I trade something well maintained with no known issues to go to something that I have no idea how it's been maintained?  

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I guess the question is.... do I trade something well maintained with no known issues to go to something that I have no idea how it's been maintained?  

Do some looking.  Find a well maintained fun car with some room?  Then tell them you want cash on the barrel head and go buy it.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

OR do I trade both trucks?  The 350 has to be worth close to 30 if my 150 is worth 22,500.  Maybe get a newer f250 diesel?

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

OR do I trade both trucks?  The 350 has to be worth close to 30 if my 150 is worth 22,500.  Maybe get a newer f250 diesel?

Again, need to know service history, etc.   Maybe find a fun cross over of some sort.  Acura?  Seems $22k would buy a lot of used car.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yes... In a heartbeat.

Problem is that I need a superduty.  If I trade the superduty in, it has to be replaced with another superduty.  The prices on them are crazy right now if you can find one.  So I am probably looking at around 50K dollars to spend.  That puts me into a 18 with 100K miles on it.  Might be worth it?  But then I drive a superduty to work every day.  Not horrible, but not as nice as my half ton.  

Shit, I don't know what to do.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

What do they want you to buy to replace it?

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

That hasn't even been discussed.  They just want to buy my truck.  Well, they want to buy ANY truck right now.  

So then, how would your quality of life change without this truck? It looks like you’re not going to replace it easily. But if you’re trading a lesser quality of life for a better one, it makes the decision easier. 
We traded our ‘85 BMW 325 for the Odyssey van, and even though it was hard to let go of the zippy drive and fun of the BMW, we’ve been to every state and ridden bikes in very cool places because of the van. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

If you still want a truck, I'd probably keep the one that you prefer.  Or else make sure you know exactly what you're getting to replace it, and how much that will cost.  The same shortage that is driving such a great trade in, will make it hard to replace.  But if you don't need or want both trucks, now is a good time to cash out.

47 minutes ago, groupw said:

Sell the F150. Keep the F350 for truck times. Get a Mazda3 as a fun to drive commuter that will save $$ on fuel as well and do the light/medium family tasks with it. 

Honestly I was really thinking about this exact thing.

• Heart 3

38 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Honestly I was really thinking about this exact thing.

Also consider what happens when gas goes over $4/gallon and stays that way once everybody and their brother produce and incentivize electric vehicles, which is all conspiring to happen now.  If gas seeks a higher threshold and stays there due to government interference and EVs flood the market, then you could and probably will be fucked in a green new deal style and your truck becomes expensive scrap in the view of the market.  Sell now, says a dumb ass regarding these things.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Also consider what happens when gas goes over $4/gallon and stays that way once everybody and their brother produce and incentivize electric vehicles, which is all conspiring to happen now.  If gas seeks a higher threshold and stays there due to government interference and EVs flood the market, then you could and probably will be fucked in a green new deal style and your truck becomes expensive scrap in the view of the market.  Sell now, says a dumb ass regarding these things.

What about the cost of water?  Since it takes more water than a family uses in a year to put out a flaming Tesla or Volt or EMustang, water is going to be more scarce than it already is and you know that these thing will start crashing into each other, taking twice as much water.    I bet it will cost $250k in water to put out a flaming Tesla in Jackson Hole.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, Parr8hed said:

At this time, a replacement vehicle would likely cost more than any "extra" money you get on the trade in

• Heart 3

The reason they are offering you so much is because they can get  LOT more for it than the stupid high dollars they're offering you.  Since you don't need to replace it right away:

Sell it yourself for $28K

Wait a year, the truck market will come crashing down, spend that $28K on a much newer truck with far fewer miles. 

Or buy your own truck back and do the hookers and blow thing with the rest

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

At this time, a replacement vehicle would likely cost more than any "extra" money you get on the trade in

This is solid thinking, although he already has an extra truck. This WILL come crashing down like the wrath of dog, too, everyone realizes this is certain. 

Hey P8, why don’t you just have Emmy take up bowling or somesuch that doesn’t require moving heaven and earth to get to?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Sell the F150, invest the proceeds and repo the XJ from Gman. Let him ride the bus to school for another year.

I couldn't drive that thing to work every day!  There is a reason it was called the "boobie bouncer". 

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, Parr8hed said:

22,500$ for my 2014 F 150

The dealer low-balled the offer.

The shoe is on the other foot now.  It's not you wanting a vehicle the dealer has, it's the dealer wanting a vehicle you have.

If you're considering selling your truck to the dealer, turn the tables on him.  Make a ridiculously high counter-offer and see what he says.  If he disappears, he's not serious about buying your truck.  If he makes a counter-offer you've instantly got more money for the truck should you decide to sell.

Then you can find out how badly he really wants the truck by countering again.

And while you're at it, it might not hurt to shop your truck to some other dealers too.  Get them in a bidding war against each other for your truck.  If you're unsure about selling the truck, get them to bid until you get your "too-good-to-be-true-can't-refuse" price.

You're in no hurry either, as you are in complete control of this situation and - for once - the dealer is entirely at your mercy.

Take advantage of that, and drive the hardest, most heartless deal you can conjure. 

After all, if the situation were reversed it's nothing more that what the dealer would do to you.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

The dealer low-balled the offer.

The shoe is on the other foot now.  It's not you wanting a vehicle the dealer has, it's the dealer wanting a vehicle you have.

If you're considering selling your truck to the dealer, turn the tables on him.  Make a ridiculously high counter-offer and see what he says.  If he disappears, he's not serious about buying your truck.  If he makes a counter-offer you've instantly got more money for the truck should you decide to sell.

Then you can find out how badly he really wants the truck by countering again.

And while you're at it, it might not hurt to shop your truck to some other dealers too.  Get them in a bidding war against each other for your truck.  If you're unsure about selling the truck, get them to bid until you get your "too-good-to-be-true-can't-refuse" price.

You're in no hurry either, as you are in complete control of this situation and - for once - the dealer is entirely at your mercy.

Take advantage of that, and drive the hardest, most heartless deal you can conjure. 

After all, if the situation were reversed it's nothing more that what the dealer would do to you.

Yeah, do this.   When you get a counter offer, scowl thoughtfully for a minute and say that you "have to talk with my manager about this", that should be good for some laughs!

How many years would you like get, problem free, with the 178K-miles F-150 and how many years would you iikely get out of what you'd replace it with?  If the cost for the replacement is low for extra years you'll get, then it may be worth it - especially if the new truck has improvements you like.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, do this.   When you get a counter offer, scowl thoughtfully for a minute and say that you "have to talk with my manager about this", that should be good for some laughs!

Alright, Mr. AutoNation, mind if I call you Auto?  Auto, what is gonna take for you leave here with this truck today?  

• Haha 1

If you're thinking of selling, consider a private sale.  I looked up my car's worth on a few sites.  Got what seemed like a fair number for a 2 year old car.  That was the trade in price.  About 10 grand more for a private sale.  Total loss since I bought it was less than 10 grand.  You can guess what I paid for it, that would be peanuts, except I'd need a new car.

14 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If you're thinking of selling, consider a private sale.

Normally, I think this would be a good idea.  Now, though, I think many buyers might not know why the prices are through the roof and most of your time would be spent trying to educate people about why used cars are now costing so much.  It sounds like an exercise in futility.  I know I would be questioning the sanity of someone selling a truck with 178K miles for more than 10K over bluebook, and would figure you are massively pumping the price because low ballers are still going to offer 9K total for the truck, and so it would be a hagglefest.  

At all other times, I agree and would sell privately.  Now, I would just take it to the dealer and demand gold doubloons as the only form of payment that is acceptable.