Last Amazon Prime Day Buy - TV Stand

MickinMD
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

They had some nice stuff, but I elected to get a cheaper easy-to-assemble stand for the 65" TV I'm getting that can also double as a cheap coffee table for parties, group sports TV watching, etc. if I decide to mount the TV on the wall at some point.  Tools are included and it only takes "several minutes" to assemble and that works for me right now.

It's 9" wider than my TV's legs are apart (measured on the outsides) and holds up to 88 lb - the TV is 48 lb.

1287853643_TVStandInfo.thumb.jpg.0e6a68d70337a1fd053626b677d9c1d0.jpg

• Heart 1

You may need to raise the TV a little higher off the ground.  Generally folks are more comfortable looking up a bit at the TV, and there are some "TV placement" suggestions out there to help.  This one suggests:

Eye Level from Floor and Viewing Angle

Your eye level is calculated, not standing, but sitting where you’ll be watching the TV.

Measure the distance from the floor to your eyes to find out how high you’ll be sitting. In regards to viewing angle, per the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, you’ll want the TV to be mounted for a viewing angle of not more than 30 degrees. Most people, however, casually sit between 10 to 15 degrees reclined.

As a rule, a 42” television should be mounted about 56 inches from floor to TV center, a 55” TV should be around 61 inches, a 65” TV should be around 65 inches’ floor to center, and a 70” television should be mounted about 67 inches to the center of the screen.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You may need to raise the TV a little higher off the ground.  Generally folks are more comfortable looking up a bit at the TV, and there are some "TV placement" suggestions out there to help.  This one suggests:

Your eye level is calculated, not standing, but sitting where you’ll be watching the TV.

Measure the distance from the floor to your eyes to find out how high you’ll be sitting. In regards to viewing angle, per the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, you’ll want the TV to be mounted for a viewing angle of not more than 30 degrees. Most people, however, casually sit between 10 to 15 degrees reclined.

As a rule, a 42” television should be mounted about 56 inches from floor to TV center, a 55” TV should be around 61 inches, a 65” TV should be around 65 inches’ floor to center, and a 70” television should be mounted about 67 inches to the center of the screen.

This. All my TV's are about a foot above center screen at eye level and I prefer them this was, allows one to sit back and rest the head on the sofa, seat, and still have the perfect viewing angle.

• Heart 1

I bought a new saddle for the bike.  I don't think there was any Prime Day deal but I've been wanting to try this out.  Prime delivery said it would be delivered on Friday the 25th (3 days instead of the Prime next day).  After placing the order they now say Monday the 28th (5 days instead of next day) ARRRRRHG - First world problems..... what's a guy to do.

I looked at a LBS at lunch and they didn't have what I was looking for.  They did have a shop full of bikes but the road bike section was a little light.  They were full of MTBs, kids bikes, e-bikes, cruisers.  There was a young kid there with his grandpa picking up his new BMX bike - he was all smiles. 

I'm also in the market for some new fingerless gloves.  They had a whole rack of gloves with fingers and only a couple of the wrong sized fingerless.

18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I researched before buying the stand, including reading that article, and it is NOT in agreement with other recommendations.

Of course, it's a matter of individual preference but I agree with the vast majority of sites that recommend the center of the TV at eye level - about two feet LOWER than 65" for a 65" TV.

The 65" from floor to center recommended in that article for a 65" TV is ridiculous for me because I don't want to be looking up - I like level as apparent most experts do!  THINK about it.  The center of the TV you'll be looking at will be over 5 feet off the ground!

Your eye level should be as far off the ground as the MIDDLE of the TV.  A 20" stand, 3" legs, and 1" frame + 17" to the middle of the screen are 41".

My eyes will be 42" - 46" off the ground depending on the chair I get - as close to perfect as I need.

Here's a much better recommendation that is typical of what I found at several sites from HelloTech.com:

How High Should You Mount Your TV?

Experts recommend keeping the middle of your TV at eye-level while seated. This is normally about 42 inches from the floor to the middle of your TV.

image.thumb.png.8bf3e3b8e2fc5392ff9eefc2314e869c.png