It's becoming questionable if I'll be able to get decent furniture before the end of July

MickinMD

I'm moving into my house a week from today, June 30th.  It looks like I'm going to have to get a cheap recliner - and maybe sleep on it - and use my two big tray tables to eat dinner etc. for a while after I move into my house a week from today.

The shortages of furniture are monumental.  The furniture stores have great electric-powered recliners for $599 - $849 on sale with built-in cupholders and storage compartments in the arms.  I might be able to get a more expensive one on July 27th.  Others are available in October 2021 to 2022.

There are great queen bed sets with matching end table and 1-2 chests of drawers in oak, modern, walnut, etc. for $1100 - $1400 for the whole set - but they're scheduled to be available in late 2021 or 2022.  There are excellent mattress/box spring sets for $899 or less - a Tempurpedic is around $2600!

I'm probably going to get a cheap but semi-decent bed and mattress set from a discount furniture place for about $700 total, order a good set for later in the year, and then the cheap set can be moved upstairs for guests that stay over.  Meanwhile, my clothes with be stored in plastic containers serving a drawer-equivalents.

Once I have a recliner, the TV stand on its way from Amazon, the TV I'm picking up from Costco this weekend, and Fios triple-option installed Friday, I can survive in the house because I'll have all my appliances installed and working - the air conditioner is working now - and I'll have my coffee pot, etc.

There's a recall on my new Trek Verve 3 Disc Lowstep bike, but it's stored in the back of my brother's shed.  I have to call the store and see if I can schedule it in mid-July, which is probably as early as I'll have time to start riding it regularly.

image.png.13afe6b41f3226164484e3706c0d0273.png

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There's a recall on my new Trek Verve 3 Disc Lowstep bike, but it's stored in the back of my brother's shed.  I have to call the store and see if I can schedule it in mid-July, which is probably as early as I'll have time to start riding it regularly.

A recall for PEDALS??? You can't be seriously thinking of going to the LBS to replace pedals.

• Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

and then the cheap set can be moved upstairs for guests that stay over. 

Got it.

[Note to self: get a hotel when visiting Dr. Mick.] 

;)

Just giving you cheek…. At this point, maybe antique stores would be a good source for hardwood, well-crafted furniture. 

• Haha 4

I am going to emphatically advise you to check out Nextdoor and get your stuff, at least temporarily.  If you don't want to pay 10cents on the dollar for used, then wayfair is good, overstock good, amazon good.  Tough love, but you aren't trying hard enough and seem to be going way old school when old school is dying out for a reason.  Go new school and have your stuff in a week.   Ditch the crap method and go with what actually works.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I'm moving into my house a week from today, June 30th.  It looks like I'm going to have to get a cheap recliner - and maybe sleep on it - and use my two big tray tables to eat dinner etc. for a while after I move into my house a week from today.

The shortages of furniture are monumental.  The furniture stores have great electric-powered recliners for $599 - $849 on sale with built-in cupholders and storage compartments in the arms.  I might be able to get a more expensive one on July 27th.  Others are available in October 2021 to 2022.

There are great queen bed sets with matching end table and 1-2 chests of drawers in oak, modern, walnut, etc. for $1100 - $1400 for the whole set - but they're scheduled to be available in late 2021 or 2022.  There are excellent mattress/box spring sets for $899 or less - a Tempurpedic is around $2600!

I'm probably going to get a cheap but semi-decent bed and mattress set from a discount furniture place for about $700 total, order a good set for later in the year, and then the cheap set can be moved upstairs for guests that stay over.  Meanwhile, my clothes with be stored in plastic containers serving a drawer-equivalents.

Once I have a recliner, the TV stand on its way from Amazon, the TV I'm picking up from Costco this weekend, and Fios triple-option installed Friday, I can survive in the house because I'll have all my appliances installed and working - the air conditioner is working now - and I'll have my coffee pot, etc.

image.png.13afe6b41f3226164484e3706c0d0273.png

Hey Mick we found awesome deals on inexpensive memory foam mattresses at Costco. Clearly the best price around.  We needed 2 twin mattresses for a trundle bed we put in the office and they were $119 each, $250 was a bout the lowest we could find elsewhere. 

I wouldn’t want them as my everyday mattress but as an inexpensive temp/guest bed it’s worth looking into.

It's frustrating not to be able to get the stuff you want, especially since youjve been living a "temp" life recently, , but in the overall scheme of things, the time periods you mentioned won't have  a big impact.  But some of the other approaches to getting furniture mentioned in this thread may help you get good temporary items (or even ones you want to keep long term).

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

It's frustrating not to be able to get the stuff you want, especially since youjve been living a "temp" life recently, , but in the overall scheme of things, the time periods you mentioned won't have  a big impact.  But some of the other approaches to getting furniture mentioned in this thread may help you get good temporary items (or even ones you want to keep long term).

We ordered couches for our new home back in 2003.  It took at least 6 months to get them.  It's just sort of the way things work :(

He should definitely get in the queue NOW as sometimes they are just giving pessimistic estimates to avoid having to make excuses when stuff is slow to arrive.  Lots of my bike stuff has been delivered earlier than anticipated, but some has also taken longer.  In either case, waiting for it to be "in" would have meant a way longer wait.