Watching the TdF

petitepedal

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't mind paying with time ;) 

Tivo makes an OTA DVR, so you could timeshift and skip ads using that.  We cancel TV at the end of July.  I am holding on for one more month to get the TdF coverage live so I can easily plop down and watch in the AM as I drink my coffee.  After that, it is time for just going to internet and streaming.  Still paying for TV, but seriously reducing general consumption - e.g. no just putting it on in the background while cooking behavior.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tivo makes an OTA DVR, so you could timeshift and skip ads using that.  We cancel TV at the end of July.  I am holding on for one more month to get the TdF coverage live so I can easily plop down and watch in the AM as I drink my coffee.  After that, it is time for just going to internet and streaming.  Still paying for TV, but seriously reducing general consumption - e.g. no just putting it on in the background while cooking behavior.

After years of paying for cable, I now refuse to pay for TV coverage. So far I've saved $500 this year :) and I'm not giving away my profits

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

After years of paying for cable, I now refuse to pay for TV coverage. So far I've saved $500 this year :) and I'm not giving away my profits

And folks are relatively tired of paying for stuff they don't actually need.  I don't really ever watch 90% of the channels on our basic+ plan.  I like what I like - the cycling, travel, and some other shows, but several of those - like PBS stuff - is also OTA and streamable, so why pay for it (directly) in a cable tv package anymore? 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And folks are relatively tired of paying for stuff they don't actually need.  I don't really ever watch 90% of the channels on our basic+ plan.  I like what I like - the cycling, travel, and some other shows, but several of those - like PBS stuff - is also OTA and streamable, so why pay for it (directly) in a cable tv package anymore? 

ed zachery. I have a few dozen channels now and I'm good with that. I don't watch much TV and in no way miss cable. I'm just pissed I didn't do this much sooner. My next step is to get an antenna so I can pick up Toledo channels.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:
9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

My next step is to get an antenna so I can pick up Toledo channels.

An antenna AND disinfectant!!!! You can't be too careful about Ohio.

I'm just surprised he admits it in public.

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

for free?

I have had good luck doing some googlage and finding streams in the past.  Times have changed though and that may no longer be the case.  I do not remember paying for it.  We also have cable in the office and I used to just put it on the TV in the back conference room.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I have had good luck doing some googlage and finding streams in the past.  Times have changed though and that may no longer be the case.  I do not remember paying for it.  We also have cable in the office and I used to just put it on the TV in the back conference room.

I've watched some in foreign languages for free.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I've watched some in foreign languages for free.

I've seen many foreign language broadcasts as over the years I caught races via something like Steephills.  But at some point, I realized the model for a healthy pro cycling race calendar required me, as a fan, to actually pay some money to "reward" sponsors and broadcasters for their content.  IOW, when it was on TV - Wide World of Sports or whatever - the network made money via ads, and the team sponsors got publicity, so all was "good".  Then, OLN and Discovery and NBC carried a lot on cable, and I "paid" for that via my cable bill and the ads in the shows.  But as I broadened my interests, much of the content was not available in the US, so I used Steephills to watch it on EuroSport feeds for "free".  Eventually, in the past few years, with Fubo TV and then FloBikes and GCN+ as well as NBC Sports/Peacock, I can stream almost EVERY race in the world.  I pay for it - all sorts of random pricing - but hopefully it means there will be vibrant pro cycling - road, cross, MTB, gravel, etc - being streamed for many years to come.  All at a cost of less than I would pay for a single NFL game "experience" with my wife.

• Awesome 1