Yes, Obama, I made that

Chopped Liver

no, you may have fashioned that, but you did it on the backs of the workers that dug the clay out of the ground and the guys on the assembly line that packaged the clay and then don't forget about the guys who assembled the pottery wheel....no, this is what Mr Obama is talking about. We don't do it, all his supporters did that for you and let you take the credit

no, you may have fashioned that, but you did it on the backs of the workers that dug the clay out of the ground and the guys on the assembly line that packaged the clay and then don't forget about the guys who assembled the pottery wheel....no, this is what Mr Obama is talking about. We don't do it, all his supporters did that for you and let you take the credit

Son, that right there is clay hand dug by yours truly from the banks of the Chattahoochee river.  If you want to give credit to something, perhaps it should be the plants and animals that died and rotted to form that there clay.  But there aint no "backs of the workers that dug tht clay out of the ground and the guys   on the assembly line that packaged the clay"

j/k....I have no idea where the hell that clay came from.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous Obammy's claim is

that would be cool to dig your own clay, but the commercial stuff is a lot more consistent, which makes it fire better

I have some pots from Barbados, where I went to this guys studio.  Saw where he digs his own clay from the hillsides, where he makes a slurry and then lets it set up before bagging it.  He had two wheels, a nice electric he uses for his production work and a kick wheel he uses for show when the tours come through.   He was a pretty nice guy....BTW, If you get the chance to see Barbados, do it.  It's been my favorite of the Carribean islands so far. 

I had a friend that taught pottery in the Art department at college. I was interested in thermochromatic reactions, and I was having some beers with Shane when he said I should come with him to fire some pots for his students.

Shane taught me all about how different pigment materials change color when they get fired, and the change is permanent if the stuff gives off or absorbs oxygen. When we fired pots, he showed me how the fire swirrels differently when the stuff is taking in oxygen or giving it off.

its really interesting stuff for somebody who understands chemistry

And that mankind has known this kind of thing for literally thousands of years is also interesting if you are into anthropology

yep, Oxidation vs resduction firing.

I've never done any gas firing or wood firing, though a friend has 65 acres an hour away from here.  He wants to build a kiln and do some firing...so there's hope.  I am thinking about putting ash on the tea pot and letting the studio manager fire it in the gas kiln.   I've never done an ash glaze before, but I'm quite intrigued by the idea....and it's generally a food safe glaze as well.