We went fishing today.

sheep_herder

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Is this the same fishing partner you used to go fishing with? I thought he died or moved away. Nice photo, do you think you have enough fishing poles? No wonder I didn’t catch anything yesterday, I only brought one pole in my tiny kayak.

No, this is another fishing partner. He was working at the experiment station when I moved to town in 1988, but then moved to Helena for several years. We started fishing and photographing together after he retired and moved back to town. About the poles, I think that is a throw back to his guiding days, as he is prepared to change with changing conditions. It is quicker to change rods, than to rerig after a pike bites the line in half and takes jig and all.

Yes, I liked the photo, as I had been admiring the clouds for a good part of the day. I told him, now that he took my picture, I might actually shave and get a haircut. It has only been about 15 months since the last ones.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

11 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes, but we also caught crappie, yellow perch, and walleye.

Summertime crappie (they only cal them specks here in MI) are a little mealy.  I like them from the colder waters in the spring.  Perch and walleye any time.

Glad you had a good time.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

and fishing partner does all the processing. He use to be a guide on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

My dad worked at a commercial fish house before the war.  It was almost exactly where @Prophet Zacharia keeps his boat.  He could fillet a fish in a couple seconds - swish, swish, swish and he was done.  He didn't fish and he didn't clean my fish but every once in a while he'd grab a fish and the knife from me just to make me feel bad about my effort.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I imagine them to be like wearing bib tights rather than shorts for riding, just a lot more comfortable.

Civilian cops attach their duty belt to their pants belt but MP’s have to wear a duty belt over their BDU jacket which the pants & belt go under.  Even though we were all fit, pinching between the two belts was common.  So many of us wore the OD suspenders from our rain gear to keep our pants up & avoid pinching.  They were so much more comfortable many of us just wore suspenders even when not on duty but still in uniform.

That was probably the last time I wore suspenders.

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Civilian cops attach their duty belt to their pants belt but MP’s have to wear a duty belt over their BDU jacket which the pants & belt go under.  Even though we were all fit, pinching between the two belts was common.  So many of us wore the OD suspenders from our rain gear to keep our pants up & avoid pinching.  They were so much more comfortable many of us just wore suspenders even when not on duty but still in uniform.

That was probably the last time I wore suspenders.

Thay are common here now too.  As member wear external sba, they wear suspenders holding the gun belt under the vest.

I dont, because I am old school and probably only go out in public armed a half dozen days a year

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Thay are common here now too.  As member wear external sba, they wear suspenders holding the gun belt under the vest.

I dont, because I am old school and probably only go out in public armed a half dozen days a year

You hear any complaints of carrying weight up high?  I know we were wearing body armor anyway but the tactical vests force you to wear more equipment up high.  I actually liked the weight lower on my body.

I hated field Ops where we had to carry our load out up high in the military.  I preferred the weight lower during normal garrison patrol duties.